Author Topic: Doctor recommendations in Phoenix area  (Read 3577 times)

markmark

Doctor recommendations in Phoenix area
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:02 am »
If you're in the Phoenix area or can travel there, I highly recommend Dr. Robert Spetzler and Dr. Mark Syms.  Dr. Spetzler is Chief of Neurosurgery and President of Barrows Neurological Institute (http://www.thebarrow.org/Who_We_Are/203524).  Dr. Syms specializes in Neurotology & Otolaryngology.  These two remarkable surgeons performed my retrosigmoid craniotomy to remove a 1cm acoustic neuroma on my left side.  My biggest fear was facial paralysis followed by balance, headaches, and hearing preservation.  Long story short, I woke up after about a 7 hour surgery and was happy to find out that I didn't have any facial paralysis.  The rest of my story is posted in the microsurgery section of this forum titled Successful Retrosig Surgery -- no facial paralysis.
--Mark
Mark
Diag Nov 2009 with 1cm AN; successful retrosig by Dr. Robert Spetzler and Dr. Mark Syms at Barrows Neurological Institute and St. Josephs Hospital (many Thanks to them!!!); no facial paralysis; SSD; BAHA sched for July 2010.

Mark241

Re: Doctor recommendations in Phoenix area
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:21:19 pm »
I to went to Barrows for both of my golf balls, I can't say enough for the Doctors, but the staff and the setting were equally wonderful. Dr. Bambakidas, Dr. Weisskoph ENT. No facial issues, and they preserved quite a bit of my hearing.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Holloae0

Re: Doctor recommendations in Phoenix area
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:22 am »
I went to Barrows for my 1.7 cm AN back in September of this year, and I also can't say enough good things about Dr. Spetzler and Dr. Weisskopf (I believe this is the correct spelling). From what I understand, they spent 3 hours alone dissecting the "sticky" tumor off the facial nerve; amazingly, I have had no facial problems. I am SSD now but knew this was going to be an outcome since I had hardly any hearing left to save. These guys are my heros!