Author Topic: Just sharing my experience  (Read 2604 times)

Shan1014

Just sharing my experience
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:55:06 am »
Please go to  www.mymediabandit.com/ , which is my website where I have written about my 4 month stint with AN. I shared what I went through,  prior, during, and after hospital stay. I just know that I had no idea what I was in for and wanted to share. I also have a blog if you have any questions. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:49:23 am by Shan1014 »
4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue

sunfish

Re: Just sharing my experience
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:52:26 pm »
Wow! What an impressive MRI, and not in a good way!  Great read.  I had cyberknife to a 1.4 cm AN the week after your surgery.  I still struggle at times to get back to normal - two steps forward, one step backwards.  I don't like the blood pressure meds, they make me sluggish.  And my vision is kinda messed up.  Here's hoping you continue your progress!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »
Hi, Shannon - and welcome! 

I read your 'AN story" on your website and it brought back some memories of my own hospital experience, back in June, 2006.  I had few complications and was discharged within 5 days of my surgery but many of the things you mention in your account rang true, i.e. the head bandage removal, ICU neurological testing every hour, the excitement of moving to a 'regular' room and the advantage of having company - an advocate, if you will - with us most of the time.  My wife filled that role for me and did it without hesitation or complaint.  I'll always be grateful to her for that. 

I'm sorry your recovery has been slower than you would wish but I'm pleased to learn that you are progressing toward normalcy.  It takes time but you will be back to normal and although we all carry some deficits post-op (mostly minor) I doubt you'll lose any cognitive ability.

I took the liberty of fixing the link in your post to take the reader directly to your website without having to cut-and-paste the address. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:09:08 pm »
Thanks for sharing your story and picts.  I did a lot of journaling through my own ordeal and logged quite a few picts as well.  It's nice to look back and see how far I have come since surgery.  Keep up the good recovery.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

cin605

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »
Holy Moly...Yeh....That was a big one!Great blog.Congrats on success!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

LisaP

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 05:20:17 am »
thanks for sharing your story, keep us posted on your journey.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

satman

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 06:59:38 am »
I just read your story and I must say "brings back memories".
Hang tough and keep up the progress.
congrats on the postie status.  8)
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »
Wow, your blog was quite impressive, so sorry you had to go through so much.  That must have been an awful hospital stay.  I can't imagine throwing up after a head surgery.  I got lucky in that I never got sick after mine.  Keep us posted on your recovery and keep up the good job on the walking and exercise.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 03:37:05 pm »
Wow thanks for sharing your story, it brings back memories.

I'm so amazed at all the care you get in the USA.  I guess its because your insurance covers it.  I had surgery roughly a week after you for a tumour nearly the same size, the differences being I was on our public health system.  I had one MRI and one CT in Nov/Dec, took another 2 weeks after diagnosis to see an ENT and three months to get surgery.  I never had another MRI before surgery and was only in HDU for 17 hours before being moved to a normal ward.  The 2nd day after surgery the doctors forgot to even come and see me!  When I say doctors that means others that were in the surgery room but not the one that actually performed the surgery - I didnt see him again till my CSF leak surgery in May at which time we discussed my original surgery for a few moments.

I am not complaining about my surgeon at all, he was wonderful and my life is completely back to how it was. I have no issues with anything but my face but I guess I am just sooooo jealous at the level of care you get there overseas.....our attitude over here seems to be  - ok we have got the tumour out now harden up and get on with it.  You re very fortunate in the USA.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 09:42:59 am »
Thank you for sharing your journey...the pics of course are eerily familiar, especially throwing up, I did that A LOT for the first couple months after..not so fun! 
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt