Hang in there man,
I was in a similar situation last year. I'm 29 years old and they found a 3.5cm AN pressing on my brainstem in late July and I had Surgery on October 7th. When it's pressing on the brainstem like that, they ususally like to use microsurgery rather than radiation because of the long term effects. I'm sure there are many succesful survivors who have used radiation, but I went with Surgery and they actually removed about 80% of my tumor and got all of the "life threatening stuff" taken care of. I may need another surgery if the other 20% shows any growth. Anyway, Most people are going to be positive and say "just get that thing out," but I think this group can be real with you and tell you that it is in fact a big deal. I can put your mind at ease a bit though by telling you that I felt nothing other than the needle for the IV going in my arm. After that, I woke up in ICU with no pain. The frustration on my part was the rehab portion. I lost a lot of my left side temporarily and I had to work hard just to be able to walk and type again. The balance thing can be an adjustment too if they have to sever your vestibular nerve. I also have dry eye which is annoying more than anything else. Recovery is probably the most difficult part, but recovery also means that you're getting better, so take it for what it is. I'm still in the recovery mode 6 months post-op, but I was actually able to cut the grass and shoot a basketball this week so I'm hoping by summer I'll be close to normal. It is a big deal and everyone around you will be very positive, which is great, but if you're like me, you didn't want to hear it. Just be strong and stubborn (especially in the hospital) and treat it like you vs. the tumor instead of you getting attacked by this tumor. I was actually talking to my head in the mirror prior to my surgery saying "you messed with the wrong dude you piece og sh*t." Sounds psycho, but it helped my nerves & attitude. I've got a full account of my whole ordeal if you (or anyone) would like to read. It's like 9 pages Ã‚Â =) Ã‚Â Just email me at email@example.com if you're interested. Good Luck!