Author Topic: what is a "wonky head"  (Read 6030 times)

turbomom

what is a "wonky head"
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:17:00 pm »
OK fellow AN buddies...... what do you mean or what are you referring to when you say "wonky head". I'm a bit clueless on the slang.
Thx ;D
turbomom
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

cin605

Re: what is a "wonky head"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:48:40 pm »
When u feel like one of those bobble head dolls or like your walking around w/ a water ballon in your head.Foggy dizzy off balance maybe a sway to the right or the left.Feeling like if you shift your head just right all the pressure might leak out.
More will chime in. ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

moe

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »
There have been a couple of threads on this in the past. Here is one of them:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10472.0

Fortunately I don't suffer from wonky head, but I have other problems! :o
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:31:16 pm »
Thanks for giving it a name...I have it all the time.  It's almost like your brain has turned to mush and sloshes around inside your skull.  I have lots of pressure and constantly want to 'pop' my ears, but it never really helps.
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

michelle d.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:19:58 pm »
:) ....Wonky is such a perfect description of where I live!  Even before my surgery, i was wonky-headed but NOW!....oh, the things my family could tell you about how spacey and off-kilter i am! Light-headed, spacey, off-balance, hard of hearing...but you know, i find that if i just keep smiling, it doesn't matter anymore....people just think that i'm a fruitcake! Don't get me wrong, i can still keep up with my work but my head is just a little more fluffy than it used to be...I just let it go, it's what my life is like now....things seem less complicated these days.  ~ michelle d.
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:38:15 pm »
My own personal definition of wonky head is this: Imagine carrying a video camera and it doesn't have that image stabilization technology, and you start walking or running with it recording.  Then when you play it back everything bounces around and is jittery.  For me, THAT is wonky head, and all the nice little dizzy feelings that go with it! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:40:48 am »
You really need to get started reading the greatest adventure of all times.  The Good Morning thread started by Cakes.  It is great late night reading when you can't sleep.  It explains and defines Wonky Head and a lot of other endearing terms for this journey we are on...so get ready to set sail on the Batty Princess!  Aren't you glad you got to know us, even thought it means someone messing with your brain, in more ways than one?  I hope you find all or most of your answers.  We have a great crew here and I just wanted to say, "Welcome Aboard!"

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 07:12:19 am »
My own personal definition of wonky head is this: Imagine carrying a video camera and it doesn't have that image stabilization technology, and you start walking or running with it recording.  Then when you play it back everything bounces around and is jittery.  For me, THAT is wonky head, and all the nice little dizzy feelings that go with it! :)
Jay
Well said Jay.  From my experience that describes it perfectly!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 05:49:37 am »
Great description Jay...........also it is like walking on unstable sand with a wave coming.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 11:56:10 am »
I have been to 7 anti-wonky head PT sessions in 3 weeks. The non-stable movie camera is now turned up-right rather than up-side down. The therapy has helped, but is not a cure. The therapist believes I have probably reached my limit of improvement, and I will stop going after my next appointment. The wonkies never go away, but I know what my limits are, and I am confident in my walking and driving. It is the "new me". I can live a long and excellent life with the wonkies, and it actually makes a good conversation with people that are new in my life. Lemon, lemonade.

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:00 am »
When u feel like one of those bobble head dolls or like your walking around w/ a water ballon in your head.Foggy dizzy off balance maybe a sway to the right or the left.Feeling like if you shift your head just right all the pressure might leak out.
More will chime in. ;D
This is EXACTLY how I described mine. The first car ride was interesting.

Jay
I like this description too.
I also have smiled an nodded a lot since I got back to work. Someone emailed me and asked me if the Doctors took me off the meds too soon. I responded with "Why? Is my ear leaking?" by I forgot the comma, and it read "Why is my ear leaking?". My co-workers got a kick from that.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*