Author Topic: Verapamil for Headaches  (Read 19793 times)

Mei Mei

Re: Verapamil for Headaches
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 06:24:22 pm »
I cancelled the Friday appointment and found an anesthesiologist recommended by someone from our group that lives in DC.   He's out of the country until the 6th and I'm leaving for Taiwan next Friday and am coming back on July 13th so my appt is July 14th at 9 am.   I pray that it works.   Too bad I have to go on this trip with the neck and skull as is.   I just started Neurontin.   So far it's not touched it.   My knots are hard as a rock.   Knock Knock!!!

I'm so happy for you about the pregnancy.   I don't know what Category C means.   Please explain.   I'm on Topamax and have been for several years.  It really helped my Myofacial pain, a kind of fybromyalgia.   I'd love to see your baby someday.   Wish I could drive to Conn.  I'm here in Maryland with my 95 year old father.

Take care lady,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2010, 05:54:18 pm »
I think my nerve blocks lasted about 5 or 6 weeks.  After 2 I was just getting them for special occasions--driving to Missouri for a wedding, going to the beach.  For me they were sort of an insurance policy.  I am seriously considering having more since I had 3 occipital migraines in 6 days recently.  Taking Imitrex is about as effective as a sugar pill--an $11.00 sugar pill at that!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »
Wow, Deb, that's a lot of pain for just 5 or 6 weeks' gain!   I was hoping for a permanent gain.  Damn!  I am sick of this neck and Occipital pain and lump.   Are we going to live with this forever?   Are we doomed?  I didn't know I signed up for this.   I feel like I am in prison.   It's a life sentence!!!!!!!!!

Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 03:29:59 pm »
I saw my neurologist , Dr. Schlosberg in Washington, today for a followup on the Verapamil and he upped the dose from 200 to 240 and gave me more sleeping pills since it interferes with my sleep (keeps me up till 5 a.m.).  I'm afraid upping the dose will bring me more sleep problems but had such a killer headache last Sat. night that I almost went to the ER, even ice which usually helps hurt the back of my neck.  He wants to see me after a month and brought up starting Lyrica if this doesn't bring relief. 

I asked if the pressure in the back of the head would ever go away and he said it was probably nerve damage.  I brought up adhesions and he brought up a plastic surgeon at Georgetown but we should go this route first.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

jennifer7

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 06:36:40 pm »
Hi Mei Mei
When you went to the anesthesiologist on the 14th did he give you a neuroblock?
Did it help?

My headaches are getting worse as time goes on, has any one found this to happen too?
The neuro I saw earlier this month seems to think if I take topomax for 6 months it will break the cycle and the headaches will stop.  I love his optimism, I'm going with him on this (I have to)

keep smiling
Jennifer

Mei Mei

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 07:47:26 am »
The nerve blocks didn't help me at all and I had some scarring on my kidneys that showed up in the Cystoscopy earlier in the month so he is weaning me from the Topomax.   I have been taking 200mg for years and now he has me on 150 for a weak and then 100 for another week.  and then 50 and then none.   It seems  Topomax he says causes Kidney stones.    He thinks I may have issues with scarring.   I might have to see a plastic surgeon next year but we'll see how this Verapamil works with the Ambien to help me sleep.   The Verapamil does keep you awake.  I am on my first day of 240 mg of Verapamil.

Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 08:56:48 am »
Lyrica might help, I have been on it now for at least 8 weeks and I have noticed a difference.  I honestly think there is no medication that will totally take away the pain.  I am not a pessimistic person, I just have this opinion from all of the different drugs I have been on and reading everything I can on pain.  If a drug can help ease the pain than it is successful.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Mei Mei

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 09:31:29 am »
Thank you.   He suggested Lyrica and I don't know why he wants to wait a month to put me on it.   He wants to try the increased does of Verapamil first to see how it works.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo