Author Topic: Why don't people get it....  (Read 4433 times)

Brookes

Re: Why don't people get it....
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 11:25:52 am »
I too struggled with this a bit, but I had the opposite problem.  The first few I told kind of freaked out on me, which was extremely uncomfortable.  So I've now gone way in the other direction, leaving out most specifics and generally describing this as a huge pain in the you-know-what.

The lesson for me was that it was as much HOW I communicated as WHAT I communicated.

moe

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 11:54:34 am »
He has not asked me yet how I'm feeling about the upcoming surgery. He does not ask me how I feel. Either he is ignoring the whole thing or he just does not realize the intensity of the whole situation.

I bet he is just scared about the whole thing just like you, plus the fact that he doesn't want to digest the info, says he's not ready to accept the diagnoses. Men like to be taken care of, (for the most part), so denial may be how he is coping.
I'm sure he'll come around be there for you after the surgery-it's scary for everyone. My husband is a navy doc, so he understood it all, so I was fortunate. He knew the severity of the surgery. I was thinking "just get this thing out of me!" The only family member/friend  who really "gets it" is my sister who is a nurse And a friend who's mom had meningioma, which has similar symptoms and requires sometimes multiple surgeries.
No fault of our friends, and family,, this is just a rare thing that most people haven't even heard of - including me when I found out I had one, and I'm a nurse :o
So continue to vent away here.  :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 10:02:51 am »
Hi Laurie,
In 1991 I had a non-malignant brain tumor.  it was not an AN, but it was right in the center of my brain in the third ventricle.  I had the same response from people.  I think that "brain tumor" sounds so scary that people often do not know what to say, so instead, they skirt the issue or tell you about stories that happened to people they know.  It is very disconcerting.  At the same time that was going on, I had daughters in high school who kept asking if I was going to die.  I felt like I had to be strong for everyone, including my aging parents.  I wanted someone to be strong for me.  Even my then husband, a physician, could only see it in black and white and did not understand the emotional roller coaster I was experiencing.  I wish there had been a forum like this.....of course in 1991 the internet was not quite the same. 

My SSD is not from that tumor and I never did have an AN.  It was a sudden onset hearing loss....idiopathic sensorineural hearing loss.  That was in 1998.  That has also taken quite a lot of adjustments.  People don't seem to understand the stress that goes with that or the worry and concern as well.  You are in the right place.  This kind of input and support from other who have gone through or are going through the same thing is so important.  It is a scary time, and here you have others who share that experience with you.  You will never be able to change those around you or "make" them understand.  It is so frustrating.  But, so glad you found this site.  It should help you a lot to feel supported, understood and accepted!
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego