Author Topic: Woahh Postiie  (Read 8446 times)

moe

Re: Woahh Postiie
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 10:34:22 am »
Nice incision you got there :)
Once you're all healed up people will never know you had brain surgery. Milk it for what it's worth while you can!!
 Do you wear your hair long, normally?
I'm so glad that you are doing well. Remember to listen to your body now and remember to pamper and spoil yourself as much as possible, or have others do that for you. ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 07:09:25 pm »
Yep remember the saved head and the incision, looks good!
Keep on healing up  :D
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »
Tracy ......

Looking good!  Hopefully the stitches came out today and you are feeling much better!

As soon as you can, walk as much as you can, but rest as much as you can .....  Just listen to your body and do not push beyond reasonable limits.  At this point, rest is as important as exercise.

Best thoughts and prayers for continuing good recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sues1953

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 08:01:47 am »
Tracy,

I'm so glad you are doing well.  I have an incision that looks just like yours  :).  OMG I had to laugh when I read the cotton stuffing comemt.  I acturally had my husband look in my ear and take out all that cotton they packed in there.  Well as you know there was nothing there.  I do think it is getting better.  I am still having bouts of nausea but I have medication for that.

My prayers are with you.  Keep posting.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 08:15:50 am »
Incision looks good. 8)

Facial nerve in tact and functioning is FAB!  :)

Wonky Head will eventually ease up...

I remember the cotton stuffed ear sensation :-\  ... but know I do NOT have it now... so it did dissipate...

I am so pleased to read the good outcome for an XL tumor removal.  :) Know we are ALL here for you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope you are up walking soon. Know that if you are woozy turning corners- this is normal... I had that (as many others) ... now it is gone.

Healing Happens. Stay positive but know in those rough spots we are here... and venting on this website any frustrations is totally ok here too.

Wellness Wishes from Oregon to you,

DHM  :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 12:00:02 pm »
Had my first official reality check today :)

Yesterday I was on top of the world, I went walking early in the morning and felt like a million bucks. I did all my vestie exercises and felt so steady that I decided I'd try to drive my car around the corner. My parents live in a very quiet neighborhood. I felt so normal! I was certainly more cautious driving than usual, but I was comfortable turning my head in all directions and I had a good bearing on the road. I'm not ready to drive in traffic or cross-town, but I considered it a success.

When I got home, I did the dishes and a load of laundry and was pretty tired. I didn't sleep very soundly. This morning I woke up too early and felt like I'd been punched in the head with wonkyness and tiredness. I figured as much, but I had to try. After a few hours this morning, I went back to bed and took my first nap in 4 days. I woke up feeling so much better.

I'm not going to continue to push my luck, so I will take it easy today. I don't regret pushing myself yesterday. I needed the sense of accomplishment for my morale as I was starting to feel very pathetic and down.

My goal is go to my own home either tomorrow or Tuesday. I am feeling rather homesick and I crave my own bed and independence. I know I couldn't have made it the past week without my family's support, I need to start doing things on my own.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 12:50:27 pm »
Tracy ~

Kudos to you for doing things that help your self-confidence (like driving).  You're clearly  perceptive enough to know when to slow down and rest (which is crucial in the early stages of recovery) but the normal need and desire to regain your independence coupled with your initiative should move your recovery right along.  Well done!

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sues1953

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 06:30:44 am »
Wow Tracy good for you  :)  I want to drive soooo bad but will probably wait until the Dr. gives me the OK to be safe.  I am very lucky to be in  my own home, doing small things to judge my progress.  I was so glad to hear that the cotton head thing is temporary it does feel so weird.  My main complaint is not sleeping, even though I feel tired.  I tossed and turned last night until around 2 and finally got up and took a sleeping pill.  I do feel much better in the morning when I am rested.

I was suprised that your stitces came out so soon, I kinda begged the Dr. to take mine out when I saw him on Tuesday, that was day 12 and he wouldn't do it.  I thought it would be a good thing especially if they are irritating the incision.  OH well  ::)

I am praying for your continued healing.  Keep us udated and I hope you are able to go home soon.  Sue
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:53 am »
Tracy -

it sounds like your recovery is right on track.  Sometimes recovery from AN surgery is one step forward and two steps back;  bad days are often intertwined with the good days.  But this too shall pass  ;D

I found that the fatigue lasted forever - or at least it seemed that way  ::) - but in time you'll get past it.  Until then, listen to your body - you'll find it's very good about telling you when to slow down - and get some rest.

Sue -

timing of removal of stitches is one of those "doctor things".  Mine were removed 9 days post op, but that's just my doc's protocol.  I'd imagine that lots of docs have their own protocols.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:28 am »
Wow Tracy good for you  :)  I want to drive soooo bad but will probably wait until the Dr. gives me the OK to be safe.  I am very lucky to be in  my own home, doing small things to judge my progress.  I was so glad to hear that the cotton head thing is temporary it does feel so weird.  My main complaint is not sleeping, even though I feel tired.  I tossed and turned last night until around 2 and finally got up and took a sleeping pill.  I do feel much better in the morning when I am rested.

I was surprised that your stitces came out so soon, I kinda begged the Dr. to take mine out when I saw him on Tuesday, that was day 12 and he wouldn't do it.  I thought it would be a good thing especially if they are irritating the incision.  OH well  ::)

Sue, I definitely feel your pain of the not sleeping although tired. Since surgery, I have fallen into sleeping between 10-midnight and regularly waking up between 3-4am and not being able to fall back asleep. Even after weaning off the painkillers and valium I haven't managed to sleep through the night yet. Last night I purposely kept myself up until 1:30 am, I slept so soundly that I woke up in the same position I fell asleep at 7:30am.  I do so hope this evens out soon :) .

I too was a bit surprised at how soon the stitches and staples came out, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you've had with yours. It sounds painful :( .
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 10:48:07 am »
Thanks Jan. I try not to run before I walk, but its a deep character flaw. I definitely acknowledge that I have been educated by my body on when I've pushed too far.  I still get overwhelmed by the sensory overload of walking into the grocery store. I clutch the shopping cart with a firm grip and occasionally have to pause and close my eyes.

I don't get as physically tired, but the mental fatigue certianly sneaks up on you.

I am still really excited by the progress, I came home Tuesday and I'm pleased as punch to be independent. I was worried about living on my 3rd floor apartment, but I haven't had problems with the stairs. I do pause and count to 10 after each set before I continue.

I have used the search function here so much. Biotene products have become a saving grace. It seems like the dry mouth gets more persistent. It feels like my mouth is never as clean as it was with a pre-op brushing/flossing/rinsing.

I am trying not to get discouraged by the lack of flavor my favorite foods have. I miss the familiar taste of my Diet Pepsi addiction. I have convinced myself that the taste loss is beneficial a way of counterbalancing the chance of weight gain from the steroids. I look forward to finishing the steroids soon.

Translab surgery 5-18-10

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 11:03:17 am »
Ack, I keep thinking of things after I post. Sorry to spam this thread!

I'm surprised at how quickly it seems like the hair around my incision is growing. I'm not really vain, but I'm kind of self-conscious about it in public, so I wear my hair down more even though its getting hot and sticky outside. I was at Walmart the other day and saw a guy walk by with half of his head shaved and a similar S incision behind his ear. It made me wonder.

My friend told me that she's kidnapping me tomorrow morning to go to the hairdresser. I had told her that I planned on going in two weeks or so to get a new style. I'm pretty excited, although I'm sure to get an earful from the hairdresser about my impromptu hair color change prior to surgery.

I got the itemized bill from the hospital, and apparently I have a mesh plate and 4 screws. Although the incision has healed so well, I do have a small dent behind my earlobe that is a bit sensitive. By using the Search function on this board, I see that seems normal. Around the top of my ear I have a small bumpy ridge that is still pretty sensitive that prevents my glasses from sitting straight/comfortably. I recall in the ICU telling my mother that I think they sewed my ear on crooked.

Although I had so much hearing loss presurgery, its still baffling to me to not have any hearing whatsoever on my right side. Pre-op I invested in a new alarm clock with one of those vibrating discs that you slip under your pillow or mattress. Although I almost wet myself the first time it went off,  I have gotten quite used to it and would be lost without it.
Translab surgery 5-18-10

knakag01

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 11:27:56 am »
Tracy,
It sounds like you are dong wonderfully and I am so happy to hear it!! Your positive attitude is inspiring!

Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

sues1953

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 01:43:58 pm »
Hi Tracy,

I enjoy reading your posts to find out how well your doing. A new hair style sure sounds like fun.  I keep painting my toes a different color everyother day just to keep myself amused.  My good friend came over today and helped me with a long walk ( I can't belive how I hung on to her) but anyway she loved my purple with sparkles toes, I had to laugh and tell her that they were green yesterday  :o.

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble sleeping too, I don't like taking the Ambion but I do as a last resort.  I have been off steriods for a few days now and thought that would help but it hasn't seemed to so far.  I am used to being very active and busy and it  may just be the slow down.  I think I am mentally exhaused but physically not tired, somthing like that .

My stitches are coming out on Tuesday, they still look pretty irritated though, swelling and redness, there really iisn't any pain because it is so numb.  The mesh plate and screws sounds interesting.  Did you know ahead of time about that?   The Dr. made a joke about taking a pound of fat out of my belly and putting part of it in my head and and throwing the rest away.  He said he didn't charge me any extra either ;D

Well take care and keep us posted.    Sue

Cheryl R

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 05:16:30 pm »
I remember with my first surgery feeling like it took me maybe a month to get over taking the steroids and that was with taking them in the hospital only.          The rest of the surgeries didn't seem quite as long.    So it will vary with everyone but still may feel some effects for a time.        Sounds like it is going like usual for the recent posties!     Always good to hear!
                                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care