Author Topic: size of tumor?  (Read 6961 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: size of tumor?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:45:01 am »
My local Doc spent all of 3 seconds looking at my post op scan and confirmed that all was OK.

...3 seconds in front of you maybe. With the way medical records move around now days, your Doctor likely had a chance to review your MRI long before you came to the office. In my case, the imaging center forwards a copy of the MRI to my Doctor electronically. The disc you're given to hand carry to your appointment is little more than a backup copy; otherwise do you think they'd let you take it home...probably not! My Neurosurgeon for example doesn't even ask for the disc...the results of my latest MRI is typically on the screen when I walk into the exam room.

Here's a wee thought from the "World According to Doc" and likely to annoy some people...oh well! While I agree being an informed patient is extremely important, trying to self-diagnos by "reading" MRI's is ill advised. Like many others, the first thing I do when I get home with a fresh MRI Disc in hand is toss it into the computer and ponder the pictures, literally clueless as to what I'm looking at! With all due respect to those who think they've figured it out, all you've done is waste an afternoon in front of a computer; yikes, right to the point..."he's so rude!" You figured out how to cycle through MRI slices and manipulate a measuring scale. The "professionals" that read these images daily, spent years learning the intricacies of interpreting these highly advanced, need I say complicated images. For those of you who think they've "figured it out," you're sorely mistaken.

Pay that pesky co-pay and give your Doctor those 3 seconds to impress you with their image reading prowess. If for some reason you think you've been misinformed, move on and find another Doctor!

One more thought from my space - Life is best lived on purpose - brush off the boohoo and get with the program!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:00:09 am by Doc »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 03:15:12 pm »
Doc ~

No need to apologize for holding an opinion.  I have lots of them.  However, in this case, I happen to agree with your assertion that a patient attempting to 'read' an MRI scan is probably wasting their time, even if 'seeing something' makes them feel 'educated' and thus, more in control of the situation, they may also be completely wrong and be subjecting themselves to unnecessary angst.  I see little benefit in that.

I never even ask for a copy of my MRI scan images.  I assume - correctly - that my very experienced neurosurgeon will read them and tell me what I want to know.  That's exactly what he does.  He was completely correct in his original assessment of my AN, it's size and location. He also gave me a copy of the radiologist's report, which was full of medical jargon and indecipherable Latin words but did give me some idea of what I was dealing with.  I like this doctor (who is much in demand) because we have a relationship based on mutual respect....the best kind of basis there is.   

In all honesty, I should mention that at my first MRI scan and all subsequent scans, I scheduled my MRI about an hour or two ahead of my appointment with my neurosurgeon, who has an office adjacent to the hospital where the MRI apparatus is located.  Obviously, this eliminates waiting days or weeks to find out the results of an MRI. and possibly succumbing to the temptation to 'play doctor' and attempt to 'read' the MRI scan images.  I highly recommend this method of tying the MRI scan and the doctor visit together, when it may be feasible. 

Your motto ('brush off the boohoo and get with the program') - meaning, don't indulge in self-pity - just push forward - may not be practical for everyone but certainly fits my basic philosophy that encompasses a sense of motivation propelled by determination and a healthy self-interest that can help one surmount obstacles to a goal.  However, your 9 words say it succinctly and effectively.  Good advice.  Thanks for sharing it - and take care, yourself.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Doc

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 03:52:33 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jim Scott is the smartest man on the forum.

Thanks Mr. Scott!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Doc

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 03:56:05 pm »
...I was tempted to say, "More power to the forward shields Mr. Scott!" To which I'm sure Mr. Scott would have responded, "I'm an engineer Captain, not a magician!"

Hah!

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 04:07:38 pm »
Jim Scott said,
I scheduled my MRI about an hour or two ahead of my appointment with my neurosurgeon, who has an office adjacent to the hospital where the MRI apparatus is located.

This is actually how my neurosurgeon schedules me, or at least how his nurse does. It all takes place in the hospital and as soon as the MRI is complete, it is available to him online. I just have to dress and go up to his office and let one or two of his students practice on me. I always feel bad for everyone that has to wait even only a day or two.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:21 pm »
While I agree being an informed patient is extremely important, trying to self-diagnos by "reading" MRI's is ill advised. .. With all due respect to those who think they've figured it out, all you've done is waste an afternoon in front of a computer

Probably true most of the time. That said, I did catch an error in my very first MRI report based on what I saw when reading my MRI. I don't take my observations as gospel, but I do like to compare notes with what the reading radiologist said and ask questions if I think there is a discrepancy.

Best,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08