Author Topic: Susan Surgery Finished!  (Read 15512 times)

Mei Mei

Re: Susan Surgery Finished!
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 03:55:03 pm »
Sorry about the infection, Sue.  Keep resting.  I know it's hard for you.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »
Susan ~

I'm glad that you're home and your recovery seems to be coming right along.  Unfortunately, incision infections can happen.  I had a minor one that cleared up easily, as I hope yours will. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 07:35:49 pm »
Sue, where are you?  ;)

I have been thinking of you all day & wondering what the doctor said & how you are feeling!   I hope if it's an infection the antibiotic is all you need and you will be back on that good road to recovery!  

Take Care,
Thinking of You!!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

sues1953

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 06:58:14 am »
Hi

I posted last night but my computer froze up for whatever reason and I gave up.  Anyway I saw Dr. Kartush yesterday and he told me that I was having a reatction to the material in the stitches.  That was good news, everything looks fine.  I will stay on the antibioti until I have the stitches removed next Tuesday.

I had quite a day yesterday, after visiting the Dr. my wonderful sister took me to a nursery so I could look at all the flowers  :).  What fun!  I didn't last too long but it sure was great.  Then we went out to lunch and home.  It was so good to get out and the day was georgous.  I have so much to be grateful for.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Lizard

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 10:36:31 am »
Sue,
Keep up that positive attitude I'm loving it!!!!

Try not to over do it, but enjoy the little outings they are important....I was so happy to go to the grocery store, and I can't stand to go grocery shopping normally  :)

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »
Sue ~

I was relieved to read that the incision issue isn't really an infection.  Your nursery visit and lunch with your sister seem to have buoyed your spirits a bit and as your recovery progresses, I'm certain you'll continue to find much to be grateful for.  I did...and still do.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:33 pm »
Sue, glad to hear from you!   Sounds interesting and glad you are staying on the antibiotics.   Sure glad you were able to get in  & all will be great one the stitches are out.

You mentioned on post for Carol Ann you are not tired....that should get better after you are completely off the steroids.    Also, bummed to hear they left a little residual of your own.   That does seem more common with the larger tumors.   But, yep...time to move on for now and live life & enjoy.   Hopefully that wont' change at all and not have to worry about it  ??

AND glad that it still sounds like you are doing good overall!   Take care of yourself.

Still will be thinking & praying for you!!
Denise {Hugs!!}
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:36:19 pm by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

sues1953

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 06:10:30 am »
Thank you all for the positive thoughts and comments.  I continue to do well, I spent the first day alone yesterday and I actually napped for an hour and a half  ;D.  I don't know why I can't sleep, I do feel tired.  I  noticed that my eye is getting better and I hope to be abe to read soon, it will help pass the time.  The computer screen is getting easier too.

My incision is still quite swollen and I'm thinking that it should look better by now ( 4 days )  I am having mild headachs and pain around the incision but nothing major.  I may call the Dr. before the weekend just to check in.  I do see him again on Tuesday to have the stitches out.  (Denise, he wouldn't take them out when I was there on Tuesday, he wants to make sure everything is holding OK).

I will update tomorrow.    Sue
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 07:02:03 am »
I don't know why I can't sleep, I do feel tired. 

I'm not sure if you're on steroids or not, but that would definitely affect your ability to sleep.

Glad to hear you don't have an infection and that your eye is getting better.  AN surgery is known to affect the eyes.  I had double vision for the first couple days post op, but then it went away.  I remember it was very annoying at the time though, since I couldn't read or watch TV.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 08:03:32 am »
Dear Sue,
Just as an FYI, my incision at 6 months Post Op is still swollen.  And of course you know I've been having headaches, but I went to an accupuncturist on Monday and great news...NO MORE headaches.   She gave me accupuncture and ended with a half hour massage that was marvelous.   Wish I had done this sooner.    I don't know how long it takes for the swelling to go down.   I go to Hopkins on June 14th for the six month check up and will have them look at it.   It is itchy which is a sign of healing.   

Rest well and try no more than 15 mins. on the computer.   It is not good for your neck.
Take care,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 08:46:30 am »
Thank you all for the positive thoughts and comments.  I continue to do well, I spent the first day alone yesterday and I actually napped for an hour and a half  ;D.  I don't know why I can't sleep, I do feel tired.  

Sue,

You are part of our XL club. Which means it is very likely the brain stem was squished over by the tumor.

Brain-stem and sleep
Now the tumor is out the brain-stem is taking back its original shape and there is a good chance with the brain also reshaping to fill the gap where the tumor was. There be MAY be temporary pooling of dura fluid- where the tumor once was also.

I was dealing with weird sleep patterns both before and after the surgery. Eventually I healed and settled down to a normal sleep pattern. But the year after surgery my sleep was all over the place.

Here is a link that explains the function of the brain stem

Simple definition
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_stem

More detail (than you probably want to know   ;) but it helps to be informed of physiology)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstem

Our clubs
Just so you know - now that you are a postie that also brings you into the "neuroscience as a hobby" club. ;D

Welcome to our "good bye XL" club, our sleep deprived club and the neuro science club :)

Weird healing stuff with XL tumor removals
If you start getting pings and body jolts... and zaps... do not freak... it is all part of everything going back to shape now the brain booger is out. Things are going to move around to fill up that old tumor space- for a while.

Expect flakes of dead ski around the incision too... to be found on your pillow (with some mild hair loss that grows back)  in the morning. It is all part of the healing.

If there is any eye irritation be sure to apply eye drops (or the famous goop- "lacrilube") until this too settles down ...as to not let the cornea of your eye dry out.

Healing Happens
Know that healing happens (at a different pace for each of us)  and we are all here for you - to answer ANY questions.

If you need to nap in the afternoon-  DO what you body tells you.

Dr. Kartush
I think with Dr. Kartush you are good hands. I thought of going there but it was just too far from Oregon... I also was not up to multiple surgeries at that time... but given how so many in the XL club came out with NO facial nerve damage (and I DID have facial never damage)... I no longer think his multi-step approach is "too WAY- OUT  :-\ ;) there"- as I intially did. Truth is I am not going to worry about you too much (as I have done with some others who went elsewhere) as I think with Dr. Kartush you are in VERY capable hands. I spoke with a woman who he did surgery on, well over a decade ago, and she is today is doing very well today... He has been at this a long time. Did you know that he developed the facial nerve probe used in AN surgeries and holds the patent on it? He is not just a surgeon but an inventor.  I would love for him to chat with our little nerdy neuroscience club- someday. Truth is I would just like to see the nerve probe devise he invented- in action.  8)

I have a T shirt that says "I love my GEEK" (know that this is a positive acronym for Good Electrical Engineer Keener  ;) :D) as I married an engineer. GEEKS and NERDS - I gotta love them and their genius minds. (But some days mine drives me crazy  ::) too)

I love the video of this total "GEEK dad"  (d*** Van Dyke in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... the kitchen is a mess!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJOfavJLeA
...who is totally my husband's character... to a tee...

I bet Kartush's wife could relate to this one. I just asked my husband to finally clean off his totally chaotic work bench in the garage... and it took him  ::) forever... and it is still a clutter mess  >:(... but that is the way geniuses are.  :D You should have seen what my house (and kitchen) looked like while I was was 1st recovering from my AN surgery ...and not able to cook etc. !!!

My youngest daughter told me that she thought Dr Kartush and his facial nerve probe machine would be cool to have at a school science fair.
She wants to be in this science fair http://www.nwse.org/... she also thinks that Meet the Robinsons movie is a family like ours (A good fun movie to see while you are recovering -with a positive message about promoting child geniuses... and some good laughs.)
Here is the trailer for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S396-fnLldk

Take this time to lay low, watch fun positive movies, read comic books, stick to only positive thoughts during recovery time ... and have afternoon naps (maybe ask someone to buy you a lazy afternoon hammock to suspend between two shady trees on a sunny day.)

Wellness wishes,

DHM
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:50:07 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

knakag01

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:57 am »
Sue,
I am so happy to hear how well you are doing!!! I have thought about you and Tracy so much the past two and a half weeks while we are all going through this. You have both been in my prayers.

Take care,
Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

sues1953

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 02:03:38 pm »
Thank you all so much.

I really do feel that all of my issues are part of the normal healing process.   DHM, thank you for the information about the brainstem and sleep.  I actually did have a big ole dent in my brain, I am so grateful that it is gone now I guess its worth the lost sleep  :)

I am doing more and more each day and it actually is very excieting

I know that most of you know what a difficult time I had choosing a Dr. and to think Dr. Kartush was right in my backyard.  He is truely a remarkable man, personable, funny, and a darn good surgeon.

Mei Mei,  I am so glad that the acupuncture worked for your headachs, what a reflef  :).  Good Luck with the 6 month MRI, I am praying that all is good.

Sue

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 09:07:01 pm »
Sue,

What do you do when you have problems sleeping? I've found that if I wake up at night, and can't get back to sleep, if I plug in my ipod on low, it makes it easier for me to relax my mind to fall asleep. If I'm listening to more than 30 mins, I try reading until my eyes are tired, then I try the music again.

Do you normally sleep on your AN side?
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

Lizard

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »
Tracy Lynn,
I think many people have trouble with sleep especially after steroids from surgery that linger in your system, but I'm really commenting because I always slept on my left side before surgery and due to a deviated septum its hard for me to breathe on the right.  It was terribly tough to get used to sleeping on the other side or my back.  I still don't really sleep on it because it still doesn't feel right.  I try to make a point to sleep on it in the morning after my alarm goes off and I press snooze, just to try and get used to it again and that its OK that it feels different.
Keep on healing  :)
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt