Author Topic: Sudden hearing gain, can this happen?  (Read 12734 times)

mk

Sudden hearing gain, can this happen?
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:33:47 am »
We are all too familiar with sudden hearing loss, but has anyone heard of sudden hearing gain?

I had an episode of sudden hearing loss back in January, which was treated with steroids, and partially restored. Since then I have experienced a gradual decline in hearing, to the point where (my estimate) I would say that I had about 50% of hearing left. I definitely could not hear my fingers rubbing close to the ear, and other subtle noises. Well yesterday, after being dizzy during most of the day, I was in the waiting room for my car to be fixed and I felt that something was changing. I quickly accessed remotely my voice mail (which is my hearing test) and I realized that I could hear the messages with perfect voice recognition (a test that I was failing during the previous months). Also, I can hear my fingers rubbing, and today I heard the tiny footsteps of my son who woke up early (of course, it is Saturday) and tiptoed to our bed  :). He usually startled me when he did that, because I couldn't hear him.
I am so-ooo excited about this, but it is hard to believe. I thought that whatever  damage is done to the hearing nerve is irreversible, has anyone heard about damage being partially reversed especially after radiation?

This was the first good news in days, I was feeling pretty crummy after the news I got from the radiologist report that the AN "may have grown a little bit" at the recent MRI scan.

Marianna 

GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sunfish

Re: Sudden hearing gain, can this happen?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:52:37 am »
About one month after my CK, the ENT and audiologist did the usual hearing tests.  I could tell my hearing was 'different.' Much to my surprise, they agreed - different, but better than last test in September!

I can't tell the difference.  Over the past month, I've come to believe that my hearing actually fluctuates.  Some days better, some days worse, but never really worse than pre-CK.  I also have conductive/middle ear hearing loss, and I think maybe steroids reduced swelling/inflammation in middle or inner ear, which caused the improvement.

If I was a betting person, I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for the chances that I'll still have reasonable hearing out of that ear in 5-10 years, because there's just too many things wrong in there!  But I'll take the "better" diagnosis and enjoy it for now!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »
I too have sudden hearing loss in my left ear.  The doctor told me that sometimes the hearing does come back but usually it is within a few months of the hearing loss.  My hearing in that ear fluctuated from hearing very little to hearing nothing.  They have changed medication and that has stopped the fluctuation..  Hopefully your hearing will stay, good luck.

TJ

lholl36233

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:07:13 am »
My hearing improved after I had proton radiation.  My word recognition was still bad at 4% so I really don't understand why I can now use the phone on my bad ear at a lower volume than my good ear.  The doctors don't understand either but I'm not complaining.   ;D
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

opp2

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:44:37 am »
I'm so pleased for you Marianna. Here's to hoping the hearing remains stable or improves some more. (raises her morning cup of java Marianna's way)
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:19:40 pm »
Hi, Marianna:

I am so glad to hear your hearing has apparently improved. My hearing has improved in the bass frequencies since getting CK (it got worse at first and then improved). Dr. Chang agreed this was promising and told me that sometimes hearing will improve after swelling or pressure on the hearing nerve has lessened.

My wife also tells me I ask "what?" a lot less often lately.

Good luck to you! You deserve the best!

Warm wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:24:35 am »
Hi, Marianna (what a pretty name!)

My hearing nerve was stretched, along with my facial nerve, during a microvascular decompression for left-side hemifacial spasm almost two years ago. This surgery involves a crainiotomy,  similar to the retrosigmoid AN removal procedure.

At my post-op checkup four days post-op I had no hearing in my left ear, and my neurosurgeon thought that it would be a permanent loss. However a hearing exam a few weeks later showed loss only in the upper register and I had 85% word recognition. I have had to adapt to the side I use for the phone, but otherwise I no longer notice the deficit in most day-to-day situations. The main exception is large crowded noisy environments such as an arena.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

novagirl

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:07 am »
Hi Marianna - that is wonderful! I am very happy to hear the news! Let's take this a sign that the bugger is dying and loosening its grip in the process :). Best wishes always.
Right AN 10 x 10 x 7 mm - dx 7/28/09; w&w for three years
CK at Stanford October 2012 - Dr. Chang and Dr. Soltys
Oct'12: 15 x 14 x 10 mm
Oct'14: 12 x 6 x 5 mm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 03:07:38 pm »
Hi, Marianna ~

Although hearing recovery is relatively rare, I have read of it happening, especially with AN patients that underwent radiation treatment.  I'm pleased to learn that it apparently has happened to you.  Congratulations! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:29:45 pm »

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful responses. So, from what I have read in this thread, hearing fluctuations are indeed possible after radiation.  My understanding is that this is true whenever the hearing loss is due to compression (for example a blood vessel being compressed will supply less blood to the nerve), rather than radiation induced damage, which I assume would be irreversible.

I must admit that I am not very hopeful about the long term prospects of hearing retention - but the reason I was excited about this is that it might mean that the pressure caused by the AN has eased off a bit, which would be certainly positive.

Take care,
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 11:25:28 pm »
Marianna, one other thing: do you take vitamin E? Some studies show it can reverse hearing loss, although the results are sketchy. It is, of course, a nutrient for the central nervous system. I've been taking at least 800 IU (was taking 1200 IU for over a year) for the past 22 months, with no adverse effects. Dunno if it helped me, but you might consider it.

The natural tocopherol blend is far superior to synthetic vitamin E, which isn't utilized nearly as effectively by the body.

Good luck and best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

kathy g

• Getting great radio heard
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »
Marianna:
So glad to hear your news.  It gives hope to us all.

Best,
Kathy
November 2010- 10 x 7 x 8 mm
May 2009- 28 x 26 x 17 mm
GK  May 2009 Washington Hospital, Fremont, CA