Author Topic: BAHA storage question  (Read 3652 times)

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
BAHA storage question
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »
I have that little jar dryer thing with the beads in it to store my BAHA at night.  It says on the lid to take out the battery at night before storing it.  Do the rest of you take the battery out at night?  I don't remember my audiologist telling me to take the battery out at night.  I got about 10 days out of my first battery.  I'm wearing it about 16 hours a day.  Does this sound pretty normal?

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: BAHA storage question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:41 pm »
Yes, you do have to take the battery out before you put your Baha in the storage drying jar.  10 days is about right.  Not knowing which model you have.   Everyone is different and it depends what's your volume is set on your Baha.  I have bilateral Bahas (Intenso) so each battery lasts about 12 to 14 days. 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:56 pm »
That sounds right to me.  I was told that wearing it all day, a battery would last about a week.  I don't use mine all the time, so my batteries tend to last a little longer than that.

I put mine in the little jar at night too - we live in a humid area so it seems like a good idea.  I try to always take the battery out before I put it in there, but I will admit, sometimes I'm too lazy and just throw it in there with the battery in it.  I'm sure it won't do any damage - it's probably just that any moisture that might have built up inside the battery compartment can be dried up better with the battery out.  Not sure, but I'll just assume the guy who wrote the instructions had a reason for writing that part!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:09:56 pm »
I got the little jar of beads with my Divino - and possibly again with my BP100 (haven't looked at all the goodies I received yet).

I've never used the jar - just store my BP100 in the small white plastic case it came with.  Divino is stored in the small black oval case it came with.

I never used to remove the battery from my Divino until it died, but with the BP100 - on the advice of my audiologist - I remove the battery when I'm not wearing it.  It definitely makes the battery last longer; usually a few extra days.

I have noticed that when I use the MP3 adapter that I got for my BP100 it drains the battery fairly quickly.  But for the sound I get, it's well worth it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:41:07 pm »
My doc told me to remove the battery and put it in the jar of drying beads every two or three days in humid weather.  In less humid weather i do it about once a week.  My battery lasts between 10 days and two weeks as a rule and like you I keep it on all the time when I'm awake.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 08:34:51 pm »
Jar of drying beads???? I never got that...I just store it in the white case it came in...I dont removed the battery, just loosen the top.  I aslo get about 10 days out of the battery.  Should I get that jar of beads???? I"ll have to ask my audiologist about that
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Sue Vogel

• https://get.google.com/albumarchive/11576991862935
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:38:41 pm »
Jo,  I was told that the little speaker in the front lid is proned to collecting moisture in it.  The purpose of the dryer beads is to keep that speaker dried out at night so that it will last longer.  There are actually electrical dryers for this purpose, but the beads should work fine and need to be replaced when the little blue beads (which are situated among many white beads) turn white.  Ask your audiologist.  Mine came with my kit.

SUE
3 cm left side
Translab. surgery 10/13/08
Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
SSD, adjusting to balance issues
BAHA surgery 1/29/10 Dr. Gantz/Dr. Woodson (dynamic duo)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:15:10 am »
Jo,  I was told that the little speaker in the front lid is proned to collecting moisture in it. 

This is one of the reasons the BP100 has the "waterproof" battery cover (no, folks, DON'T submerge it in water - it's not THAT waterproof)  ;)

The vents in the cover help keep moisture out and according to Cochlear you need to replace the cover every 6 months.  Just removing the battery and cover when you're not wearing your BP100 helps a lot.

The beads are a definite "must" in humid climates.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 03:51:25 pm »
Jan, I am interested to know more about the MP3 adaptor.  What does that actually do?
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:14:25 pm »
Dale -

the MP3 adapter is amazing - it's like having a concert in your head  ;D

I use mine with my iPod.  One end of the adapter attaches to the iPod and the other end attaches to my BP100.  I get stereo sound without anything in my ears.

I highly recommend the adapter to anyone with a BAHA.  I paid 1/2 price for mine - when it was on sale on the Cochlear site - but even at full price, it's definitely worth it.  The sound quality is wonderful.

Jan