Author Topic: choosing drs in massachusetts  (Read 8907 times)

Lizard

Re: choosing drs in massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 09:05:30 am »
I know this is a tough decision to make and these Dr's are top notch, but if you're not comfortable please go get another opinion.  Send the MRI's to HEI, they will give you an opinion over the phone.

You should feel comfortable with your decision, so until you do keep on searching and get the answers you need.  Again, many of us agree that this was the toughest part...once you get that "gut" feeling you will know what's best for you in your individual circumstances.
Hang in there,
Liz

Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

wasky

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
I'd like to thank you all for your input.  I am now awaiting a date for the surgery...with Dr. McKenna and Dr. Barker.  To Texsooner, our situations do sound similar with tumor placement and I thank you for your input.   Its nice to hear its okay to think towards one procedure and then understand it might not be the best choice after all.  Having faith in the doctors is also what is helping.  Thanks again all!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 05:00:02 am »
wasky, you are in terrific hands at MGH/MEEI with Barker/McKenna as your team!  Please keep us updated and we'll be following along!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 05:43:19 am »
You'll be in great hands.  Please let us know when you're scheduled!

One note - if you're dealing with Milli at Dr. Barker's office (she's his admin/office manager - at least she was a few years ago), you need to be persistent to get anything from her.  It usually took me several phone calls to get the forms I needed from her, answers to questions, etc.  Never had those issues with McKenna's administrative team, and the nurses in McKenna's office were amazingly responsive when I had questions post-op.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

wasky

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 01:10:02 pm »
Thanks for the heads up (krbonner) regarding Dr. Barker's office.  I was wondering why I hadn't been called this week regarding appointments.  I'll be calling them first thing Tuesday morning.  I want to get the date set and feel like I'm moving forward with this.  Will keep you informed.

LisaP

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »
wasky,

Good luck and keep us posted, I too see Dr. McKenna, let us know when the big day is.   What made you steer away from Western Mass?  Just curious.  I am from Western Mass and am seeking treatment in Boston only because my ENT sent me there.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 07:49:36 am »
Barker/McKenna/McCall grad here, heading down for belated one year follow-up on Wednesday.
Definitely want them to have the best view.
I think Mili "retired", so no worries there, but be persistent and flexible.  I doubt they'd bump your surgery date due the size of your tumor, but it can happen.  Be proactive, follow-up on bureaucratic matters, but most important of all . . .
TAKE MUFFINS into surgery.  (Read my story NancyMc's Spa Day: Lipo and a Face Lift or something like that from March/April '09).
Good luck.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness