Author Topic: sinus infections and tinnitus  (Read 6671 times)

opp2

sinus infections and tinnitus
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:37 pm »
I've been battling one of the worst sinus infections I've ever had. I'm still not 100% and I finished my meds about 2 weeks ago. I knew when I finished them that the infection was not gone, as I was still suffering the obvious symptoms (fullness, lots of mucos, pressure).

I've had an irritated throat the past few days, and last night my tinnitus woke me up. This has never happened before. I long for peace and quiet but I know it will never come. What I do wonder is if anyone else experiences increased tinnitus associated to sinus fullness or infection?

Thanks in advance.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: sinus infections and tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:23:08 pm »
Yes!!!!!!  So sorry to read you are feeling so crappy but I know the feeling oh so well.

Drink lots of fuilds and rest as much as you can.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

opp2

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:29:38 pm »
oh thanks AM...it's been a very rough few weeks. I'm so tired...but I keep moving. I'm ready to admit I need some rest.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:48:13 pm »
I do as well, when I recently had an ear infection in my good ear, the tinnitus was deafening.  I find that nasal spray, I use the prescription kind, but the saline stuff or a neti pot might help clear out some of that mucous. Ugh sinus infections are not fun and can linger on for an eternity.
As Anne Marie said, drink lots of fluids...thin that mucous.

Wishes for a restful sleep tonight,
Lizzzzzz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:10:51 am »
I noticed my tinnitus was much worse when my allergies was bad - and then an ENT told me that if I took my anti-histamine allegra it would help with the tinnitus.
m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

opp2

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 06:38:11 am »
I may give that a try today. My husband has some OTC allergy meds here. Or I could use some tylenol sinus? I shall report back.

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:31:24 am »
Anything doing with the sinuses being more irritated will sure have a affect on the level of tinnitus your experiencing. Having tinnitus more than half my life (61) I`ve experienced an increase in noise when anything unusual comes passing thru that way such as; smoke, change in weather, pollin, allergies, colds. I try to keep them as healthy as possible naturally plenty of fruits + good supplements, saline mists + aroma theropy now and then. Best Wishes, Mickey

opp2

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:28 pm »
Well the allergy medicine seems to be a bust..I ended up on the couch for the afternoon. Non Drowsy my bum  :D. I never nap, but I could not resist this afternoon. Good thing my little guy was happy to play videos. I still feel like I've been run over by a bus. My tinnitus does seem a tad reduced.

Perhaps I'll stick to tylenol sinus ;).

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »
Nikki,

Advil cold and sinus is better because Advil is an anti inflammatory.  I wrote the book on this one I can tell you!  Your body really needed to rest and rest is also the and nature way to heal itself.  You need some good old home made chicken noodle soup.  Is hubby willing to drive down the QEW tomorrow to pick some up?  PM if is.    :-*   

The Netty Pots are pretty good are cleaning out the sinuses also.  They can be purchases at any drug store.  A last resort is antibiotic and a steroid.  Have you had fever?  If you have you do need to see your Dr.

Rest my friend,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:52:46 pm »
Nikki,

The Netty Pots are pretty good are cleaning out the sinuses also. 

Love the netty pot takes some getting used to, but that thing is a life saver...Anne Marie I think I was your co-author : )

Nikki,
Rest the body needs to rejuvenate and the only time it can is during sleep.  I don't nap either, but since the AN I listen when my body tells me to slow down.  Sleep well, hopefully tonight is better  :)

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

rupert

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:33:55 pm »

I've seen those things on TV,  but can't bring myself to use them.

opp2

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
Nikki,

Advil cold and sinus is better because Advil is an anti inflammatory.  I wrote the book on this one I can tell you!  Your body really needed to rest and rest is also the and nature way to heal itself.  You need some good old home made chicken noodle soup.  Is hubby willing to drive down the QEW tomorrow to pick some up?  PM if is.    :-*  

The Netty Pots are pretty good are cleaning out the sinuses also.  They can be purchases at any drug store.  A last resort is antibiotic and a steroid.  Have you had fever?  If you have you do need to see your Dr.

Rest my friend,
Anne Marie

Thanks Anne Marie, I appreciate the ideas. You're a good friend. All of you are.

I probably wasn't too clear in my original email. My sinuses are not blocked anymore, that was about 2 weeks ago, but I know there is still something going on there. I still have lots of mucous but it's more of the general malaise I'm feeling. I knew when I finished my meds that the cold was not finished with me. I can breathe ok so the netty pot isn't required at this point. I believe the rest is. I'm not altogether certain I didn't have a reaction to the reactine I took. Yesterday at 13:30 I could not stay awake. I lay down to sleep on the couch while the wee man played videos. Not something I would normally like for him to do for the afternoon. I got up only because  my daughter was coming home from school at 3:45 and I had to meet her at the door. I struggled through the afternoon and early evening feeling like I was on the verge of drifting off all afternoon. You know that really heavy head feeling you have when you are just dozing off, and if someone disturbs you, you can't seem to shake the funk?? I fell asleep in my honey's lap at 21:00, woke up and went to bed at 23:30 and didn't wake til my babies got me up at 10:00 this am. I was ok, not great, but ok for most of the morning. I struggled out the door to take the kids to McDonalds play place for a couple of hours this afternoon and then, bless us, we went for groceries. Thank goodness the kids are good helpers. I made it home. I was starting to feel a little more with it until about a half hour ago...it's all back...the heavy head, drowsiness...I feel drugged...drag...

I'll certainly be off to the doc's tomorrow if this keeps up...my Honey has surgery scheduled for Tuesday. I need to be alert and with it...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:47:52 pm by opp2 »

ncutt

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:10:24 am »
snorting salt water twice a day really helps, either a netty pot, i prefer Nasaline, it's a syringe with a bulb on the end of it and also a Grossman Hydro pulse nasal irrigator.  Stay away from dairy products as that causes more phlegm.  I am a strong believer in nasal irrigation and finally got my husband doing it too.