Author Topic: Question about hearing loss-long after surgery  (Read 2211 times)

Lizard

Question about hearing loss-long after surgery
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:05 am »
I had surgery 18 months ago and recently I've felt like I've lost more hearing in my AN ear.  I had little hearing loss to begin with so the outcome was pretty good.  I'm just feeling like I read lips a lot more than I used to among other things.  I am planning on calling my ENT for another hearing test, but haven't done that yet.  Sometimes I feel like such a crazy hypochondriac, waiting for some other health issue to crop up and he knows that he's never going to get rid of me completely anyway  ;)  Also, my year MRI looked clear, did not show any regrowth.

Has anyone who went with the surgery option lose more hearing long after the surgery? 

Thanks for your insight,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Question about hearing loss-long after surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »
Liz:

I had a hearing test shortly after my surgery, but I haven't had one since. Sometimes I feel my hearing is worse, sometimes I feel it's improved--probably has to do with background noise. I'm thinking I should have one to see if I'm getting the most out of my hearing aid. If my hearing has changed then my hearing aid needs to be adjusted.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:33:13 am »
Liz and Syl .....

My surgery was just over two years ago and I still sometimes feel like my hearing is getting worse.  I have had several audiograms since surgery and they show very little change ..... mostly reduction at the high frequency level.  When I told my audiologist the tinnitus is getting much worse, she explained that the perceived hearing loss may just be the increase in the volume of the tinnitus.  Whatever the cause, it is frustrating at times ..... especially in restaurants or very noisy environments (receptions, etc.).

Best thoughts and hopes for both of you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:21:30 am »
Syl and Clarice,
Thanks so much, I wonder if its because my tinnitus is getting worse?  Never thought about that...interesting I'll pay attention as the day goes on today.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt