Author Topic: I Have a GK Date  (Read 7305 times)

Vivian B.

Re: I Have a GK Date
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 04:22:33 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thank you both for your support. It would be great to meet you. Just let me know when and where. I signed up for the support meeting on May 25/2010.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

opp2

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 08:14:08 pm »
I'm supposed to be on vacation that day so I can mark it in my agenda now. My boss wants me to go do an interview in Strathroy and in Mississauga during that week.

Anne Marie, did you say you can't come to the support meeting or you can? We could hook up prior to or right after the meeting and have a nice tea or latte...it's Toronto, there must be some place (starbucks, second cup) close by.

Marianna? perhaps Keeping up (Ann) can come too? I know Ann has the 4 babies so she might relish a break away for a couple of hours.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:16:04 pm by opp2 »
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

mk

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 09:19:55 am »
I would really like to meet all you guys. But being outside the GTA, I would have to travel to Toronto for the meeting, and especially on the 25th I have an important meeting at work. For sure I will try to get in contact with at least some of you if I happen to come to Toronto in the following months. Especially after a phone conversation with the doctor on Friday, who upon reviewing once again the latest MRI very carefully told me that "there may have been some very slight growth", I really feel that I need some support  :(

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 01:01:28 pm »
I'd love to come, but I have my follow up appointment with Dr Rutka the next day.  I don't know maybe I can look into staying over night in Toronto.  Let me put my thinking cap on and see what I can do.  I would love so much to get together with all of you and of course attend the meeting.

Anne Marie
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:51:34 am by yardtick »
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Vivian B.

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 09:29:46 am »
Hi Marianna,

I can't believe it. Hopefully it's margin or error or something. I will be praying for you. When is your next MRI?

Just as an FYI , I read that Dr. Guha at Toronto Western is conducting a clinical trial of 30 patients. They are being treated with a medicinel used to treat Leukemia. He is expecting 15% shrinkage after one year.
I don't  know much else about it.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

mk

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 06:22:50 pm »
Yes, both GK doctor and radiologist were quick to point out that it is totally within the margin of error and could depend on the number of slices. I have noticed that during the last 2 MRIs, the MRI technician has been taking images of many more slices, I guess by now they know me too well, lol. So it could have something to do with the more detailed images. Vivian, I hope I haven't scared you, for sure GK has arrested the growth (it was a wacky 4 mm over 6 months before GK and almost negligible in two years post GK) and the tumor has shown necrosis. It is very common for ANs to grow slightly before stabilizing after radiation. If I end up in trouble, it will be because my AN was very large to begin with, so there is really no room for additional growth.

On another note, the news on the trial that Dr. Guha is conducting is very interesting. Please keep us posted if you learn anything else.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Keeping Up

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 07:45:28 pm »
Congratulations Vivian

Apologies I am a bit late to the party, and sorry you have a delay.  Two weeks means so little when you don't have something planned, but can seem like a lifetime when you do. 

The ANAC meeting - always have intended to go since diagnosis.  Maybe this one would be a good one to start with.  Can't say I think much about this tumor anymore - just sitting, and waiting, and well, losing my hearing!!!  I have kind of run out of questions.  I will ponder, and assess the soccer schedule and who might be able to bring my daughter home from soccer practice.  (I won't get out much during soccer season.)  It would be interesting to meet some of you (who is going??? Nikki? Vivian? anyone else?)

Ann

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

opp2

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »
I will be there. I have it in my calendar. I 've told Mr. R. I'm going..but

if it's better to do it another day, perhaps we could meet along the go line or the subway line, say Bloor West Village..(I love it there) or Oakville...

you kids tell me.

for those going to the meeting I'd be happy to meet up prior to...say 5:30 or so. There is a Starbucks about 1.5k south west of there on Dupont.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 07:15:01 pm »
Vivian:  wonderful decision!!  Be peaceful your heart.  I believe you are doing the right thing !  Let go of your anxiety.  The date is set & you can relax...
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps: in hindsight:  wish I had made your decision !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Vivian B.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 07:04:40 pm »
Hi Everybody,

Good  to hear from all of you and thanks for your good wishes.

Marianna, I am so glad for you. Not only was I worried about your next step but I was starting to think about my own. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and results.

Vivian