Author Topic: Brainport  (Read 1643 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Brainport
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:24:27 am »
Have any of you heard of this? I have been reading "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge, MD. Chapter one is about a woman that looses here vestibular nerves due to an overdose of a prescribed medicine, and she suffers the imbalance like most of us do. Dr Paul Bach-Rita (deceased) was a neurologist that was interested in the ability of the brain to change the way it operates. Bach-Rita invented a small plastic plate that has 144 electronic sensors on it. It is worn on the tongue and is connected to a hat that has an accelerometer that measures movement in two directions. The "hat"  sends small electric shocks to the plate that feel like champagne bubbles going off on your tongue. The plate sends message to the tongue to tell you which way you are leaning. The woman was not wobbly while she wore the plate, and even after she took the plate off, there was some residual value that continued for a while. This system is also being used so that blind people can "see" without using their eyes. Astronauts are using a system in their gloves to help them "feel" what they are handling during space walks/repairs.

This system is called "brainport." When I googled it, there is a site using this for the treatment of tinnitus. Anyone here know anything about this?

sgerrard

Re: Brainport
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:37:50 am »
I know only what you know, James. I have read the book, and I found it very inspiring. I have also Googled for BrainPort in the past, and seen various teasers and hints about its use. I think LADavid did a trial with them, trying to restore balance function.

If you come up with any new or exciting stuff about it, I would love to more hear about it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Brainport
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:21:16 pm »
At our last Houston ANA meeting, the Vestibular therapist that talked to the group mentioned this (however she never called it BrainPort by name)..  and she seemed VERY excited about the research she had seen.  However, I don't think she told us any more than what's posted here...  Sounds very cool.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager