Author Topic: His name is Jean Claude  (Read 13717 times)

MMH747

Re: His name is Jean Claude
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 04:42:39 pm »
I was also pretty shocked last year to hear that I had a tumor and that I would need major surgery.  Never having had major surgery before, that in itself, was pretty scary.  The healing process takes time; allow others to care for you.  One thing that I have found that was so helpful was a CD called, Successful Surgery, from www.healthjourneys.com, which uses imagery and self-affirmations to prepare for surgery.  Initially I was skeptical to the whole idea, but tried it.  The first few times it did nothing for me.  The next few times I cried the whole way through.  The following times the CD helped me to cope, relax, and be self-confident about what was to take place. Though I wasn’t totally prepared for what recovery would mean for me, this CD was probably one of the most helpful, hopeful, and reassuring things I could have done.  It has been 11 months since my translab surgery, but doing well.  There are challenges, but you will be able to adapt and cope.  This web forum is a wonderful place to share.    Wishing you well. 
Diagnosed March-09 with 2.7 cm x 1.7 cm tumor; Translab surgery (13 hours) - UW Hospitals & Clinics - Madison, WI on May 20,2009;  unresponsive facial nerve post-surgery; doing well with hearing, balance, and taste loss

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 01:43:26 am »
Thanks Kim!

My prayers are with you as well. I do so hope that you have a successful and complication-free surgery! I too am sorry we had to meet this way. We shall heal together :)

Maureen,
I walk looking down now, so that will be a tough habit to break :) I do so hope to get out walking as soon as possible. I have heard how easy it is to overdo things, so I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm sorry to hear that you had such a tough go of things. Thank you so much for being on here and sharing your experiences as well! Sorry I'm not sure what TBI stands for, I'm still catching on to all of the acronyms! I have full faith in Dr. Thedinger, his history certainly speaks for itself. He's been working with my neurosurgeon for the past 26 years so I do believe they must know what they are doing by now :) He did go to school in Kansas, that much I do know. I don't know about him being a hunk, but I'm grateful for his sense of humor and his bedside manner. He won my parents over as soon as he walked in and gestured to them saying "let me guess, brother and sister right?" It's the little things that get you by. Darn dents worth. I did ask him if he can move some to my derriere, but he set me straight right away and laughingly said that that surgery costs more. I tried to use the excuse that it would help cushion the blow if I were to fall, but he just shook his head.  Thank you!

Thank you MMH747, the cd sounds great, but I don't know that its for me. Other than the forum, I have forbidden myself from researching anything more or any other stories about surgery for the next 2 weeks. I have had some horrid nightmares lately, and I don't think I should expose myself to it anymore. It sounds like your CD is more healing-based, which is fantastic. Thank you for sharing your information as well!

We lost our softball game on Sunday, 15-14, I struck out twice, but I still consider every game I can play now a success, as while I occasionally get dizzy, I haven't yet fallen down. (yet) I am hoping to play the last 2 sunday games before Jean Claude goes adieu for good. They've made me a designated hitter. I just picture JC's the ball. I find it therapeutic in a way.

Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 07:58:48 am »
Tracy Lynn .....

I am absolutely amazed that you are able to play softball with a big ole AN in there.  Good for you.  Whack that sucker out of there ..... but do be careful.

Many thoughts and prayers as the days draw close to JCs demise.

BTW, a TBI is a traumatic brain injury ..... often used in connection with people falling and hitting their heads or in accidents.  However, we post-AN removal patients experience many of the same after effects of such an injury.  It all depends upon your body's reaction to the invasion into the skull, e.g. swelling.  In my case, the first brain surgery I had resulted in significant nausea (no steroids were given).  The second one (for the AN removal with a different neurosurgeon) resulted in virtually no nausea, no headaches ..... just extreme fatigue (steroids were given following this one).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:37 am »
Thanks Clarice!

Having the same symptoms of a patient with a TBI makes sense then.

I fell today while cleaning the bathroom, aside from feeling very sheepish, I didn't hurt anything. I lost my balance :( while hanging the shower curtain back up.

I don't fear the potential dizziness, but I'm a nausea weenie. When I had my tonsils out as an adult, they warned me about the nausea, but I didn't worry much about it. I couldn't hold anything down for 5 days, and on the 5th day, I found that Chicken Noodle soup was the only thing I could manage. While not intentional, it happened 2 weeks before my best friend's wedding. At least I didn't have to worry about fitting into my dress.

Clarice, I can't imagine having more than one surgery, you are a brave soul. I'm glad to hear that the second one went smoothly.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 12:14:13 pm »
Tracy .....

A tiny tip:  tell everyone involved with your surgery, from pre-op stuff until they put you under, about your history and fear of nausea.  There are things they can do to greatly minimize that awful side affect.  Especially tell the anesthesiologist during your pre-op interview.

My second neurosurgeon was adamant that he did not want his patients vomiting post-surgery so the ICU staff gave me something (Zofran at first, Phenergan later) the second I felt any wave of nausea and it did the trick, along with the steroids.

Interestingly, I was more at peace prior to the second surgery than I was the first ..... maybe that factored in to a better result.  Who knows?

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 01:16:33 am »
Thanks Clarice! I will take that advice! I will probably be bribing the anesthesiologist and the nurses!

I suppose to some extent you already knew what to expect, which can make things easier.
Translab surgery 5-18-10

sues1953

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 08:07:02 am »
Hi Tracy and Clarice,

I too had nausea after spinal surgery, I couldn't eat anything!  I remember they tried to get me to suck jello through a straw and I hate jello to this day.  That was so long ago ( I was just 30 years old).  I had hoped that the anesthesia had  improved since then and I would do better this time.  I did speak to a nurse anesthetist about it and she told me that the anesthesia has not changed so much but they have new meds to help with the nausea now.  She also suggested that I have a conversation with the anesthesiologist pre surgery.  I will also ask about an anti viral medication because I get cold sores and I read that the irritation of the facial nerve during surgery can cause delayed facial paralysis....yikes!

I have put the Health Journeys surgery tape on my ipod.  I listened to it last night for the first time.  I found it very comforting and relaxing.  Thanks so much for that information.

Best wishes to you all.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:27 pm »
Hey Tracy-

Sorry to be chiming in so late, but I can see that you've been given a proper welcome, along with lots of great advice!  I had to laugh when I read about all your planning - I actually had spreadsheets so that my husband would exactly what needed to happen and when (as if he weren't perfectly capable of running things!)  I think my last words as I marched into the OR was to remind him to feed the cats.   ;D

Clarice had excellent advice in suggesting that you make a big point of alerting your doctors to the nausea concerns.  The anti-naseau drugs on the market today are really great and I wouldn't think that you need to worry too much about that.  I was eating within the first 24 hours, only had naseau for maybe 12 hours after surgery and the hospital managed that very well.  I don't think I ever actually used the dainty little pink "bowl" that they provided. 

I just suggested this to someone else, but will mention again here - bring very loose pants with you for the trip home.  I found the belly incision to be much more uncomfortable than the head incision and wearing any kind of pants with a snug waistband was out of the question.  I rode all the way home (over an hour) with my pants unzipped - yep, I'm a sex-goddess   ;D  If you have yoga pants with the roll-over waste, they work great.

hang in there, it will all be behind you soon enough.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tracy Lynn

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 02:31:26 am »
Hi Sue!

The Anti-Viral suggestion I've not heard before. I will definitely keep that in mind. I've not been a big jello fan since I had my tonsils out 7 years ago. I left same-day surgery and my mother (bless her heart) took me home and fed me full of red jello. I was dopey enough still to eat it. It was not pleasant mixed with the post-op nausea. 

Hi Debbi,

I leave the spreadsheets to my stepmother, she's very diligent at charting medication times, what was eaten when, and when you pee. I've tried hospital food before, I don't relish the thought, but I'm certain it must be better to face than the nausea. I dread the site of the pink "bowl."

Thank you for the great advice on the loose pants. I had wondered which area of the "abdomen" the doctor was planning on removing. I had hoped that it was slightly over the waistband... perhaps take a teaspoon from my spare tire :) I had planned on only packing pajama pants and a pair of drawstring yoga pants with which I can create "low rise".  I must say I giggled when I read your post, because its completely something I would've done too.

-Tracy
Translab surgery 5-18-10

Lizard

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 10:41:42 am »
Tracy,
I did experience a lot a nausea and actually threw up on a nursing intern who wasn't fast enough with the bucket.  I took a lot of medication for nausea especially before any pain meds, for probably the first month and it helped immensely.  The chewing action seemed to almost trigger the nausea so I pretty much drank boost for the first couple weeks.  The chocolate one was pretty good, helped to keep some of the important stuff in my body while I couldn't actually eat it. 

Welcome to our little corner of the world and so sorry you have to deal with this, but you have come to the right place.
We are always willing to give advice or counseling.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt