Author Topic: Two days post surgery  (Read 3471 times)

kwong521

Two days post surgery
« on: April 13, 2006, 02:03:32 pm »
My mom had her surgery on Tuesday at the House Clinic, with Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger.  It took about 5.5 hours.  I talked to her yesterday and she sounded really exhausted and weak, although that's totally understandable.  BUT!  I talked to her this morning, and she sounded much more like her normal, upbeat self.  However, the left side of her face is somewhat swollen, her left eye can't blink, and the left side of her mouth doesn't move.  Hopefully, that will change soon. 

She says she feels pretty nauseous everytime she tries to sit up and eat something.  And she keeps telling me she wants to pull all the tubes off of her and walk home, lol.  :)  That sounds like my mom.  I spoke with the nurse yesterday (very nice lady) and she told me that my mom is trying to improve too quickly.  Again, understandable, because up to a week before her surgery, she was climbing and fixing rooftops and being stellar. 

I love you, mom. 

Thanks everyone here for your continued support.  You guys are truly an inspiration to us.   

FlyersFan68

Re: Two days post surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:20:21 pm »
Good Luck! Listen To The Doctors & Take Things In Stride!

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 04:05:45 pm »
Hi Christine,

So glad to hear your mom is doing better! The doctors will most likely keep your mom on steriods to reduce the swelling. Most of the problems that she is experiencing are only temporary. When she is up and walking, she will start feeling better. She is in my prayers, please keep us posted on her progress.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 04:36:07 pm »
oh, hun! GREAT news about mom! Boy, she sounds a wee bit stubborn, eh? She's already to tell the dr's and nurses how to do their jobs yet?  Thank you so so much for sharing her update with us and know that we have hugs for you as well..... I can tell you are a true rock to her and thrilled that all went well. Onward and upward on the recovery road! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LID

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 01:08:11 pm »
HI -  sounds like things are moving Ok. I had my surgery @ House on April 4. I returned home on April 11. Bit of a let down when the steriods stop and my energy waned. Lots of muscle pain on affected side. Muscle weakness. A little hard to eat and have dry eye and mouth. No balance problems as I went through that 6 years ago when I had radiation.  One day @ a time . Lots of good info from all of you. Will be checking online much more ofter now.

Lynn
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 01:16:59 pm »
hey Lynn,

Great news that you are doing ok! :) On decadrudge (as I call it now) and can relate to the energy and letdown (on taper now).

Have to ask.. you note you had radiation first, then surgery? What kind of radiation did you have?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

kwong521

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 10:14:57 pm »
You guys are amazing.  Thank you all for your continued support.  I'm sitting with my mommy right now...she's pretty exhausted and seems really down that her left eye can't close.  Also, the left side of her mouth still won't move, and she keeps covering her mouth when she talks to me because she's embarassed at how crooked it is.  I'm really glad to hear all of these are temporary.  I also keep telling her that her results are really quite good.  She has no balance problems, no CSF leak, no fever, no more nausea, and has an easy time moving around.  She was walking up and down stairs on the second day after surgery, so I'm confident she will be back to normal soon. 

Although...maybe no more scaling rooftops.  :) 

I love you all.  I've never met a more exceptional group of people than you all...thank you for your prayers, thank you for everything.  You've made this whole journey - through discovery, pre-treatment planning, surgery, and post surgery - tolerable and eye-opening.   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:24:50 pm »
Sounds like mom is on the mend!  NO more rooftops tell her to pass the ladder to someone else!  I was doing the same thing before surgery.  One day I'll be at it again....tell mom one day at a time! 

Lid Congrats on your outcome.  I was just telling phyl the other day about the decadron crash.  I think for about 3 weeks after coming off that drug I just wanted to sleep!  Felt like I was sleeping my life away!

LID

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 10:20:22 am »
Hi- My radiation was FSR @JHU in 2000. The tumor  slowly grew after that. No it is gone  except for a scrap.

Lynn
FSR Radiation @ JHU May 2000
2.1 cm removal  with BAHA inplant April 4 2006
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz

sunshine16

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 10:39:27 am »
Hi Kwong,

Unbelievable recovery!!! I'm amazed by your Mom's courage and strength.  After my Nov. 15 surgery in HEC also done by Dr. Hitselberger and Dr. House,  I stayed in the hospital for 3 weeks.  Didn't start walking till my 2nd week. 

Hats off to your Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow!!!!!!

Susan

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 05:37:18 pm »
I had the same docs last July. Tell your mom to be patient. There were some side effects I knew about, but didn't plan on having. I did have some temporary facial paralysis and had to have physical therapy for walking. I had trouble with my vision, balance, and dizziness for close to 2 months. But I would say I was mostly better at the 3 month mark, and completely better except for some hearing loss 6 months later. It really does take time. Tell your mom to hang in there. It might seem like things get a little worse before they get better.
Small AN removed by Middle Fossa July 2005. Balance nerve removed. Hearing somewhat damaged. Other than that, doing great.