Author Topic: How everyone find out they had an AN?  (Read 17649 times)

onebadass350bird

Re: How everyone find out they had an AN?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2006, 12:17:44 am »
DUI arrest.  You'd be amazed how drunk you can appear to be with a 4cm AN that's causing signifigant nystagmus.

Tom
17 hour Retrosigmoid on 10/19/05 for removal of 4cm AN

Raydean

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2006, 07:10:29 pm »
Tom,

How long did your nystagmus last?  Did you have before or after treatment or both? I also had nystagmus following treatment for a 6cm tumor.

Best to you
Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 08:54:12 pm »
I've had it post sugery after 8 mos it's better but....still there.  How bout your tom and chet?

Raydean

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2006, 09:06:53 pm »
Mine lasted about a year post surgery.  It's been awhile now, almost 9 years. As I understand it, my nystagmus was a neurological response.

Best to you
Chet
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 09:10:23 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

SKT

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2006, 09:19:00 am »
My symptoms were sudden. Tinnitus all of a sudden and a suction blocked sensation on my left ear. Within 2 days went and saw a GP.  Tinnitus was loud. He said not to panic, wait and see if it goes away and to call in 2 weeks if it didn't.  That was a friday. That weekend it was consuming me.  Tinnitus was so sudden and weird, i'm not generally a sickly person, felt like there was something really foreign going on. Went and saw another GP on the weekend.  She told me to relax, it's nothing, millions have tinnitus.  On the Monday was complaining to a friend about the tinnitus driving me crazy.  She called an ENT friend of hers, got me in on the Tuesday.  He tells me I'm too young and healthy to have anything seriously wrong, but there's always a chance. Referred me to an audiologist in 2 weeks.  Tinnitus was driving me crazy, I made the appointments in few days.  I could see on audiologist's face that he thought there was something wrong. Back to see ENT in few days.  He tells me hearing on one side down in the higher frequencies, not a big deal, scheduled me for an MRI in two weeks. Reassured me nothing would likely be wrong, but we'd do the check just in case.  Couldn't wait 2 week. Rang many radiologists, got into one the next afternoon with my referral.  Was nervous all day.  Thought there was somehting wrong.  That afternoon MRI done. 3.5 cm AN.  Hmmm, ENT little bit surprised.  Can't complain at all though - he was great, never dismissed my complaint, he truly thought it wasn't likely to be anything serious, but he was very professional and cautious and referred me for thorough testing.  I wish all doctors were the same, he was great.

Yes, your symptoms do sound atypical - but the thing about ANs is that they go misdiagnosed in many cases because the symptoms really can relate to so many other less serious things.  It is rare, so you can understand that most ENTs will not assume that hte likely diagnosis is an AN if there is so many other more common explanations for the symptoms.   However that is no excuse for  not exercising caution and referring a patient for an MRI if symptoms remain unexplained.  I recall getting into a false sense of security when I was researching on the net pre-diagnosis and I read one ENT surgeon's views that MRIs should not be ordered for AN investigation unless patient has severe dizziness.  I did not have severe dizinness. Naturally I dismissed that as a realistic diagnosis - didn't really help the shock factor post MRI.

I think there is just as much chance that you don't have a tumour (in my humble opinion) and I will be saying a prayer for you hoping that you don't.  Please keep us posted.  I pray that your MRI comes up nice and clear.

Diana

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 07:35:45 pm »
Hello! :)

I just joined this group tonight.  I am recovering from my second brain surgery.  The first one was a meningioma, and when I plateaued in getting my balance back completely, further investigation located an acoustic neuroma thru an MRI.  This AC operation took 6.5 hours and I am recovering well.  Surgery was on 2/16/06.

I wanted to give you the support for your "pressure pain".  That part of my recovery seems to have passed.  I do have sensitivity and numbness on the left side of my head (over the area of my stitches) that acts up when I am tired, or when I've eaten foods that start-up these sensations.  So, through a process of elimination I have found I needed to avoid sugars, coke, catsup, honeybutter, certain cerals with sugars or honey, Mrs. Butterworth's pancake syrup, chocolate, chocolate mixes for hot chocolated, etc.  Avoiding these ingredients over a period of time lessened the reoccurrence; and the good news is:  After a period of time I have dared to try a tiny bit of a food that was on my "Avoid" list and only a small amount of reaction, or no reaction occurred.  I hope this information may help you recover more comfortably.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2006, 08:24:04 pm »
Welcome Diana,
   Sounds like you've had a tough time of it.  I hope you're doing well.
   You're a more disciplined person than I am to be giving up chocolate.  We all have to adjust to many AN and AN treatment effects.  But there is no way I'm giving up chocolate. 8)
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 08:53:20 pm »
LOL  I had to give up chocolate too...made me feel so much worse. 

I think giving up soda was harder!  I'm so sick of water!
Welcome to the group Diana..so sorry you had to join us!

Sounds like you're doing great for your surgery being just a few months ago.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2006, 09:14:41 pm »
Diana--sound like you are reacting to high fructose corn syrup--which doesn't metabolise like regular sugar.  I hope the FDA takes that stuff off the market soon.  It causes diabetes in children and adults and prevents a certain hormone from telling your system that its had enough to eat.  God knows what it does to us neurologically.  There are quite a few tasty chocolate things on the market that don't have it, though.
Good Luck with your recovery!
Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

targa72e

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 12:16:00 am »
I had sudden hearing loss and a plugged feeling. Tried several ear wax removal techniques with no success. Call a friend who is a ENT and they made me come in right a way. Was told I had nerve damage and hearing loss that was probably permanent. I had 80db loss and 65% SRT in right ear. Was sent for a MRI the next day to rule out the vary rare tumor. Got the call 6-1-05 diagnosis 4mm x 4mm AN, 9days from 1st symptom to diagnosis. 6th month MRI showed tumor at 5mm x 5mm. In the last year I can add tinnitus, headaches and balance problems to the list, good news is hearing improved to 50DB loss and 68% srt at 6th months. Will be scheduling my one year MRI in the next week or so and I imagine I will be trying to finally choose a treatment option shortly after.

john
5mm x 5mm watching and waiting