Author Topic: No one asks anymore....  (Read 31062 times)

bdsgurl

No one asks anymore....
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:42:01 pm »
Its been a little over a year since my AN Translab. Right at three weeks post op, i took back over as primary caregiver for my three little girls, ages 6,4, 6 months. Its been a big adjustment learning how to take care of their needs while being SSD, compromised energy level, and pain. I am so grateful that my recovery hasnt had anymore serious complications after the blood clot i had taken care off. So I do thank God for that. It just sometimes makes me sad that when i have a bad day or am down and sad about how life has changed, nobody attributes it to my AN. Like for them its a done deal , over with, surgery is over, recovery is over, and the aftermath, well they just dont see it. So no one even asks me how im feeling anymore, or how im doing with recovery. How the headaches and the pain affect my parenting. Even my husband and parents never mention it anymore. Maybe its easier for them to put it behind them, but for me its still there everyday and it would feel good to have someone else notice that i still struggle.

Mickey

Re: No one asks anymore....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »
There are alot of people here who understand. Most of all there`s a higher power who knows what`s  going on.  Prayers and best wishes always, Mickey

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:58:22 pm »
I know exactly how you feel and I offer my sympathy.
I hardly know how to deal with this issue myself, but it may be a good idea to express your feelings to your close surroundings.
Otherwise, this forum is a perfect place to ventilate.

Cheer up.

Kenneth

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:52:16 pm »
oh, how I can relate.... too many ailments and many meet me face to face, with all of my ailments, and many have no clue from what ails I suffer...... and think I'm just fine. If it wasn't for my cane (used for non-AN related issues), peeps would have no clue for all I suffer on the "inside" that outwardly is not reflected.

I have noted this in the forums in the past... will note here now in the hopes this helps.

My sister, upon one of my first ails diagnoses, gave me this book... and it was SOOOO on the money!  In the case of AN'ers.... living with a "hidden" disability (ie: hearing loss/SSD, vertigo, etc), this book gives terrific guidance. Now, if we could only get our loved ones to read it to help them understand what we endure.

Hope this info helps... it may be worth a peek.  Hang in there... we truly do understand.
Phyl

=========================================================================================

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Well-Hidden-Disability-Transcending/dp/1572241322

Living Well With a Hidden Disability: Transcending Doubt and Shame and Reclaiming Your Life (Paperback)

Authors:  Stacy Taylor, Robert Epstein

Product Description

A startling number of Americans who look healthy and function normally suffer from recurring symptoms not visible to the eye. Their conditions may limit their enjoyment of life, and like the physically disabled, they are forced to deal with feelings ranging from anxiety and shame to anger and self-pity. Living Well with a Hidden Disability reassures readers that they aren't alone. With thoughtful, frank writing and useful worksheets, the authors offer strategies for dealing with pain and confusing emotions. They cover the effect of disabilities on everyday life, creating a valuable resource for adults who desire complete, productive lives.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »
Thanks Phyl for that site.
And bdsgurl,
I'm sure there are hundreds of people out there who share your sentiments.

Unfortunately, this surgery WAS a life changing event and most people have symptoms that affect their life. It is a matter of readjusting the expectations of yourself

BUT in your case, you have 3 little children who need their mommy, 24/7 and I cannot imagine how hard that is.

I was  going a little crazy at that time  of parenting, and that was without brain surgery!(also three kids, same age difference).  My AN was there, I just didn't know it, so I remember feeling fatigued and insisting on daily naps when my kids napped! Or "OKAY mommy needs a time out now" I would bring the baby upstairs with me and leave the two preschoolers downstairs with the toys or tv.

Don't know what your situation is with help from family or  friends. My hubby is military, so it was just me. I would send the kids to day care when they were real small, even  if I didn't have to work.(I only worked very part time) And have the half day for myself (cheaper than therapy )

See what you can muster up. The taking care of yourself part of life will get you through this. Daily naps/rests/music on CD, or even acupuncture if you can afford it to help with energy and all that.

I always have said-good thing I didn't have this surgery when the kids were smaller- actually I should have. But I know that the symptoms do affect every day life.

My kids are now 22, 20, almost 17.

Hang in there, I hope you are able to get a reprieve at least from the mommy duties and take care of yourself. I know it was worth every penny of child care for me.

Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »
Annalisa ~

Your frustration is, as the previous posts indicate, all too common with AN patients and others with 'hidden' physical deficits.  Although my post-surgical/radiation issues are relatively few and minor, my wife suffers from Fibromyalgia which is 'invisible', nerve pain from long-term spinal problems (she's had 3 spinal surgeries), Crohn's disease as well as other issues she has to deal with on a daily basis.  She works around her limitations and I help out around the house as much as possible, of course, which is easier now that I'm retired.  This allows her to led a relatively normal life - and she rarely complains.  However, her situation and my own experience as an an AN patient has given me more understanding and definitely more compassion toward those who 'suffer in silence' from conditions that are invisible to others.

It's quite understandable that you'd like a bit more understanding from your husband and family but, alas, that is often hard to find for many post-op AN patients.  My theory is that, with some exceptions, most people have a finite amount of compassion and concern for others physical problems.  This seems to be especially true for spouses and immediate families of post-op AN patients.  This is why the standard, expected response when we're greeted with "How are you?" is "Fine".   Illness and pain are not something most people really want to hear much about and of course, most adults have problems to deal with that are important to them, making their understanding of your physical problems lower on their priority list, as it were.   

I would suggest that you try to let your husband and family know (in a non-accusatory manner) that you're still struggling with post-op deficits and that you aren't 100% recovered.  Using the term 'brain surgery' often helps the otherwise apathetic family member sit up and recognize that you didn't have an appendectomy or your gall bladder removed, but a benign tumor in a very difficult-to-access space in a crucial area of your skull and that the ramifications of that surgery are long-lasting. The point is that you're struggling with SSD and other deficits that affect you in many ways and just because you aren't in a wheelchair or bedridden doesn't mean that you're perfectly fine and that the AN surgery has no bearing on your life, today.  If you can relate this in a non-emotional but cogent manner, it might help.  Of course, everyone is different and this approach might avail you nothing but it seems as if your spouse and family are oblivious to your physical issues and the emotional toll they take and I have to believe that, were they to face reality (through you) they might cut you a bit more slack and offer more help and/or understanding.  Perhaps not, but I can't see the harm in at least letting them know that you're struggling both physically and emotionally and could use their help.

Meanwhile, know that most of the folks using these forums know exactly what you're dealing with.  You'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many - because we care about you.

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 03:05:01 pm »
Bdsgurl,

There are MANY of us, myself included, who can relate to this.  I have regular conversations with another AN surgery survivor about this very topic..  It's extremely difficult to deal with the fact that everyone seems to have gone on with their lives and has expected us to do the same.  Out of sight, out of mind..

I don't have any real answers for you, as I'm dealing with similar type issues.  Just know that you're not alone.  There are MANY of us who get what you're saying and are dealing with the same things.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01:14 pm »
I wish I had a quarter for every time someone says, "You look fine, I don't understand why you don't just get on with your life."  I would be a fairly rich woman.  My family gets very frustrated with me because as I have told them many times that I have sold my Wonder Woman cape and boots on eBay.   They still expect me to be the me of five years ago.  I am not and won't be again the person I was prior to the AN surgery.  At times I feel really bad that I can't be the same kind of grandma to my five and six year grand sons that I was to my 18 and 17 year old grand daughters.  My youngest daughter, who is expecting her first child, says, she appreciates the patience I have now and the thoughtfulness.  She hopes that her daughter will learn from that.  I am done making excuses and apologies.  I am who I am and I kind of like me.  You will too and stand firm with your family and friends...teach them acceptance.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »
Annalisa .....

You have already received some very appropriate and valuable replies ..... I hope you can take their thoughts and apply them to your own situation.

Some time ago I figured out that my husband really had no way to know when I was feeling well or poorly unless I told him ..... because outwardly I look the same for both ways.  Therefore I try not to assume he knows when I am having a bad day. 

Also, look at it this way, if you had been in a terrible car accident with a traumatic brain injury, people would not expect you to be fully recovered in three weeks.  Well, you had a traumatic brain injury in the form of invasive brain surgery ..... much the same.  Someone on this forum (Donnalynn???) has a pin that says "I survived brain surgery, what's your excuse?"  Not sure I could actually wear something saying that, but used with humor, it might help.

Those of us who had surgery for our ANs can all identify with what you are feeling.

Thoughts and prayers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:55:29 pm »
Oh gosh can I relate to what everyone has posted.  When I leave the house for an appointment or to go shopping or have company over I put a lot of time and effort into getting myself together so I appear decent /normal.  Around the house it's a different story.  No make up, comfy old clothes, hair is just brushed when I wake up and teeth of course but there is no fussing. 

I will never be the same person I was prior to Sept 2006.  I think my husband has the hardest time of anyone excepting it.  One day last week my son Nicholas was frustrated with me and I just started to cry.  I had a massive headache, the leftside of my body was pins and needles, my face was doing the hemifacial spasms thing and I was hitting redial every five minutes  because the line was busy and I needed to move up my appointment with the neurologist.  Nicholas wanted to know what was wrong with me, once I started crying I couldn't stop.  All I could say is I don't feel good and no one in this house gets it.  He dragged me into his arms, held me tight and kissed me over and over.  He kept saying Ma it's okay and he held me until all my crying stopped.  I was touched because Nicholas is my macho guy but he was there when I needed comfort.

It is tough some days, a lot of days no doubt.  I really think people are afraid to ask because they do not know how to react especially if you have a mini melt down like I did.  I'm normally withdraw, but that day I guess I needed to release.  People around me have remarked that I have changed.  I've gone from being very upbeat and boisterous to being withdrawn and meek if you can believe it.  I think people do not know how to react to the change because basically on the outside nothing seems wrong.  Who knows?  My girlfriend who is terminal with lung cancer told me a lot of her friends have stopped calling since her diagnoses.  It must be human nature bizarre as it is.

Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:17:52 pm »
I will join the crowd with how this whole AN business has affected us.       I look fine most of the time and to get thru that it has affected me day in and day out seems futile some of the time.       I think that some of the time my family thinks I am putting it on just for attention.      NOT!!!       People don't seem to understand what having no balance nerves mean.    I do do well for having none but doing well still means having balance issues.                                  I am hoping my husband has some clue now with his broken hip but he is trying to overdo in my opinion now.   I tell him to ask his PT person questions since he doesn't seem to want to listen to my view.               I really do understand  though that I well know what it feels like to be some time past surgery and think things should be better than they are.              Life goes on and one just has to do the best they can!
                                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MamaGina

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 06:42:05 pm »
I, too, have struggled so much with this issue. It's been very hard to cope with feeling so sick and take care of a family. when I had my surgeries, my kids were 3,2, and 2 mos. they have grown up and i brought 2 more children into a world where their mother is not 100% healthy. my husband has resented my symptoms and deficits in the past, but is just now after 9 years having compassion for me at times. he didn't marry a sick person, he has had to adjust to having a different wife. i have to gently remind him that i dont feel well. let your husband read about the effects of cranial nerve damage and what happens to you when you are dizzy and trying to maintain balance with your visual system. how tired it makes you, how its difficult to concentrate b/c ur bOdy is just trying to stand upright. look up the links on here about brain tumor fatigue, damage to vestibnular system and more. i had to tell him over and over. i also dont even like talking to people  anymore. they don't understand & i don't want pity.
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

tenai98

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:02 am »
DonnaLynn
I love that idea of the card. Think I will steal the idea fromm you. In all honesty I think I have adjusted well...I point it out if necessary that I had/still have a brain tumor.  Because I deal with 16 yr olds on a daily basis, when I first meet them in class, I explain to them why I somtimes stagger, slur my words, cant remember how to spell simple words, and so on.... And because I'm speaking to them on an adult level, they (well most) respect me for it.
As for family, I now keep a visual reminder of my hidden disability,....my Baha...I keep my hair short and have no qualms about explaining it to strangers who ask.
I express myself when I'm having an off day...
On this day again, I thank my lucky stars for my recovery.  if it wasnt for the SSD and the walking like a drunk at times, I would be 100% back to the old me.  I'm sure as heck aint complaining...Expect for the being tired....I know you all understand when I say I'm not physically tired but mentally tired....
JO
I had one lady state: 'You have a brain tumor?  You look normal!' Makes me wonder how 'we' people with brain tumors are suppose to look?????
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:41:27 am by tenai98 »
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

sues1953

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:50 am »
Honestly this is hard for pre op An'ers to read.  In most surgeries things get better, life is better.  Of course I am anxious about my surgery next month and part of me just wants to cancel the whole thing and take my chances but being a grown up I have to face this, and I will.

Part of friends and family not seeming sympathetic is the fact that they love you and want you to be normal.  I had spinal surgery 20 years ago and suffer bouts of serious back pain and frankly my family is tired of hearing it.  I refuse to suffer in silence so I make sure they know but really don't expect much from them.  I deal with it the best I can and am very grateful for good days, which are more the norm.

Thanks Phyl for posting the name of the book, it sounds like it could be a lot of help.  I will certainly get it and read it and let you know how it helps.

Just for the record, I look very normal and function very normal and look darn good for a 57 year old "Grandma"  ;D

Sue in Michigan

3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:25 am »
Sue .....

You bring up a very valid point that this thread sounds discouraging for AN patients awaiting treatment.  Hopefully the value in this is that any time someone has a serious illness/condition be it an acoustic neuroma or cancer or heart condition or whatever, family members sometimes do not know how to handle the interaction with the patient.  Some of us would rather people just not say anything about it and act like we are totally recovered and back to "normal," and some of us need some TLC when days are not going so smoothly.  This makes it very difficult for caregivers/family members and even acquaintances to know which way is best.

Other threads have been started about how many of us look perfectly normal and therefore others perceive us as just the same as we were before, when we are not.

My best thoughts and prayers for your upcoming surgery.

Clarice
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:26:00 am by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011