Author Topic: Medically Necessary but not covered???  (Read 4880 times)

beachman

Medically Necessary but not covered???
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:52:13 am »
Has anyone run into this one?  The director of the insurance company BC/BS said the BAHA is medically necessary for my husband due to underlying issues but because of the wording of the contract that my company has it is not covered? 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Medically Necessary but not covered???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:41:36 am »
The wording of the contract may say that the policy doesn't cover hearing aids; most insurance policies don't.

The BAHA isn't a hearing aid though - it's a prothesis or an implant. 

Cochlear will help patients "fight" their insurance companies for coverage http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11751.msg135380#msg135380

You can also contact Cochlear directly - look for the information on their website www.cochlearamericas.com

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ellenmn

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 06:47:27 pm »
I am having the same issue with BCBS of IL. The people at OMS said they will file the appeal  but when I talked to her she didn't sound very positive. I hope the appeal works.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:24:51 pm »
Ellen -

have you asked Dr. Battista for help?  He and his staff usually know what they need to do to get insurance coverage.

Also, check out this thread http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11751.0  It contains a link from Cochlear Americas that helps BAHA candidates get insurance coverage.

In addition, I have a contact @ Cochlear who might be able to help you.  I met her at the ANA Symposium in Chicago this past August.  If you'd like her information, please PM me.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways