Author Topic: BAHA - "screwed-ya-day"  (Read 11493 times)

grega

BAHA - "screwed-ya-day"
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:10:57 am »
Hi all,

Yesterday, getting the baha implant/abuttment was a piece-o'-cake .... well, actually, only PB crackers about 5pm!  It was a long day ... procedure was due to start @ 1pm ... but didn't till after 3 .... and all that time without coffee, water or snacks.  The night before I pigged out till just before midnight so the hunger pangs would be at a minimum yesterday.... it worked! 

All the people I met .... from check-in nurse to post-op nurse .... were delightful, and not afraid to laugh a bit at my questions, explanations (med'l history stuff) and observations.  I sincerely hope that others have similar experiences.

Roughest part was having the electrodes pulled from my chest, but the nurse-puller immediately put her fingers on each site after the tug .... saying that's what happens during her "waxing sessions" ..... it worked!  (but I didn't ask her any questions about that  ;) )

Anyway, no pain or other complications .... and I'm ready to do a lotta yard work today (low 80's today!) .... but Suz has the whip out making sure that I follow doctor's orders and take it easy.  And I'm ready to get this trubin off to see the healing cap.

Greg  ;D

BTW .... a little bird suggested the "screwed-ya-day" moniker when I asked bout the baha "gotcha-day" moniker ... I think it fits, but will delete if mods object ::)
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

Re: BAHA - "screwed-ya-day"
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:55:57 am »
I knew you'd do just fine!  I'm sure the nurses were laughing WITH you, as well as AT you!   :D

Who would have come up with such a name for abutment-getting day?   ???

Save some yard work for tomorrow - it's supposed to be nice out again!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:31 am »
You got the whole summer ahead of you to do yard work.  Just take it easy and rest up.  You don't want to overdo yourself for a few days. ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

moe

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:50:30 am »
Congrats on your "screwed-ya-day" ;D
Let us know how it works with the tinnitus when you can start using it, and have a nice relaxing weekend.
Lounge chair, soaking up the rays, reading a good magazine with a cold drink kind of weekend ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

grega

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:16:19 am »
Thanks Lori, Moe & Kenny  .... just had to fit that in  ;D ..... for all your good advice!  I am definitely relaxing today, and will do so this weekend.

Lori, two things .... maybe 100 miles further south it'll be nice tomorrow, but it's gonna be 25-30 degrees colder here  :o

Also, think it was your partner-in-crime that first penned that moniker  8)

Greg
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:32 am »
Also, think it was your partner-in-crime that first penned that moniker  8)

GASP!!   :o  I get blamed for everything!  Actually, I believe it was Lorraine (aka Lori) who came up with BAHA Gotcha Day as well as the new "moniker".

Glad to hear everything went well.  Electrodes are a new one on me - never had them - not that chest hair is an issue in my case (despite those nasty rumors)  LOL

Listen to your better half and let the yard work wait; sit back and eat the chocolate that came in your kit.  Afterall, you just had a hole drilled in your head!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Julianne

• Juli
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 03:25:10 pm »
Greg,
Great to hear that it was no big deal. Did you have local or general anesthesia? If it was local, were you freaked out at all by being awake? I am looking at the Baha more seriously now that my Phonak CROS hearing aids cannot be fixed. Also looking into the Transear. Thanks.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 05:44:18 pm »

[/quote]

Electrodes are a new one on me - never had them -

[/quote]

That's because you have no heart!   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:52 pm »
Congratulations Greg,  Have a great weekend, but be careful with the yard work!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:13:18 pm »
Did you have local or general anesthesia? If it was local, were you freaked out at all by being awake?

I had local and being awake wasn't freaky at all.  It was a little surreal but very cool  8)

I didn't feel a thing!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »
That's because you have no heart!   :D

Guess each set of triplets only gets one - Kaybo was the lucky one in the JKL Trio  :D

grega

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 04:46:35 am »
G'morning all!

Thanks for all the favorable thoughts after the procedure!  And love the friendly back-and-forth banter .... brings smiles and giggles, huh?

Julianne, I had general w/ no problems, and it wore off pretty much within about a half hour.  Doc has not done baha with local .... and said he didn't mind if I sought out another doc if local was preferred.  But I was OK with general ... worked fine.

Took off the turbin last night .... wow, what's that ugly thing on my head .... just padding over the site?  But tapping on the center part of that protective cap sends loud tapping noises to the good side ... much louder than with the baha testers.

Need tips on what to wear over this ugly red protective cap while venturing out this week (work, church, store).  I can only think of large piece of gauze, cause it's too warm for flexible knit cap.  Thanks for any advice.

Greg

lori67

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 06:09:13 am »
You could cut some eye holes in a sheet and pretend you're a ghost...that should cover you up pretty well!   ;)

Going with the gauze is probably your best bet.  How come you got a red cap?  Mine was white.  How boring.

Lori

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 10:11:33 am »
How about wearing a bandanna?   ::)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 11:22:26 am »
My plastic cap was white also. 

Grega -

here's a cool trick for when you are able to remove your plastic cap.

If you rub your fingertip very lightly over your abutment, you can actually hear the sound of your fingertip rubbing on it  ;D

Kind of like a very small preview of the sound that is coming your way once you get to start wearing your device!

Jan

PS - LOVE the ghost idea  :D