Author Topic: Ever heard of this?  (Read 4326 times)

lholl36233

Ever heard of this?
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »
I had a hearing test today. While my word recognition is 4% which is statistically the same as zero, I do have hearing on my left side.  The audiologist said I have good bone conduction so the sound is being picked up on the left and conducted over to my 100% right ear.  This would explain why I can understand some words at a lower volume on the phone.  I could not do this before my proton treatments.  As a result, she doesn't see a need for a hearing aid.

This was a new one on me.  Has anyone else been told this?

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Ever heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:48:55 pm »
Laura ~

No, I haven't had this experience but I'm glad to learn that you have, with the result being some useful hearing ability in your 'AN ear'.  This is a very pleasant development!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:28:35 pm »
It seems to me that given that "situation" with having good conduction, etc.. that it would mean that a BAHA, TransEar or Ponto Pro would be a good thing to have (i.e. they would help MORE than what the body is doing for itself).  It sounds fishy to me that the audiologist would advise against something that, presumably, would help you..

Anyone else skeptical of this?

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 06:08:53 pm »
Laura -

I am skeptical also - and I also think that a BAHA or TransEar would do wonders for you. 

You should ask the audiologist about letting you do a BAHA demo.  If you are met with resistance, I'd look into another audiologist.

If you don't know any others in your area, the Cochlear Americas website has a place where you can search for providers in your area.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 12:01:44 am »
 ???  UH,  what's a Proton treatments?   just curious as I'm reading about all the hearing options now.

thanks  :)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

lholl36233

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 05:44:24 am »
Denise,

I had proton radiation at Mass General in Boston.  It is supposed to be precise and only radiate the tumor and not surrounding areas.  I went for a hearing test at Mass Eye and Ear because I thought my hearing was better.  It is better even though the audiologist couldn't cofirm that because she didn't have my prior hearing tests I had done in Worcester.  The word recognition is still bad but she said sound was conducted over to my 100% right ear.

I'm going to have to go back and see Dr. McKenna.  He can answer my questions the audiologist couldn't.

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:36:06 am »
O.K. Laura, I get it now.   Best of luck with all of your follow up.   I am assuming this isn't a treatment POST surgery?     

I'm looking for all the options post surgery now for SSD.  I've still got an abnormal case of additional extended brain swelling 6 weeks post middle fossa surgery and I had hearing for 2 days after surgery, but now I don't.  SO, they haven't guaranteed I won't get it back.  In the mean time, I'm doing all my research to be prepared  ;)

Thanks for you time.
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

lholl36233

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 02:43:02 pm »
Hi,

I finally saw Dr. McKenna to get his opinion on what the audiologist told me.  He did not agree my improved hearing was due to bone conduction.  I brought the last hearing test I had at UMASS.  He said there was improvement.  He was fascinated when I told stories of how I can now use the phone on my left ear.  Dr. McKenna asked if I was having any facial nerve issues.  I'm not so he said I'm doing great and that I should come back in 2 years for a hearing test.  I didn't get an explanation for what is happening but I'm sure that is because he didn't have one.  I mentioned he should talk to Dr. Loeffler in December when I have my follow up MRI so he can take a look. Dr. McKenna said, "Oh I will", like he meant it.

Interesting...

Lynn Mc

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 07:13:24 am »
Hi Laura,

Wow!  Thought you would get more info than you did.  I am sure Dr. McKenna will definitely follow you.  Hope your hearing continues to improve for whatever reason.
Nice to meet you at the brunch!

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

lholl36233

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 03:48:08 pm »
Hi Lynn,

I'm glad I met you at the brunch.  Even though I didn't get all of the answers, I'm glad I saw Dr. McKenna.  My 1 year MRI in December should be interesting...

Laura