Author Topic: what does BAHA sound like?  (Read 3444 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
what does BAHA sound like?
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:33:45 pm »
 If you block off your good ear and only hear through the BAHA, what  does it sound like? Does music sound the same? Can you really tell that  the sound is coming from the BAHA side? Is it mechanical sounding? Is there any sense of stereophonic listening? What else can you tell me about how it sounds?

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: what does BAHA sound like?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:02:43 pm »
The BAHA sounds great.

Try the demo.  Although the real thing is much better - especially the new BP100 - you'll get a pretty good idea of what it sounds like.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:36:14 pm »
The demo I did last year in Dr Vrabec's office, if I plugged up my good side, it was like listening to everything through a fairly tuned AM radio station. It wasn't perfectly crystal clear, but I could here. With the good side not plugged, I couldn't tell if it was working or not. Granted, now I know more about what to check for to see if it helps. I plan to ask him when I go back if he has a BP100 demo.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:49:18 am »
When I tried the demo, I had a little bit of that "radio" sound, but with the real thing I don't have it. 

Also I'm finding the sound of the BP100 to be much smoother than the sound you get from the Divino. 

It should be noted that the longer you are SSD, the less of a difference you will notice when you try the demo.  The difference is there, it just not as noticeable; not much of a WOW factor.  But that doesn't mean you won't hear better.

I tried the demo 4 months post op and found it to be a huge difference.  But I know others who tried it years post op and they didn't see a difference right away.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mzup

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:56:05 am »
The BP100 does sound like an AM radio, a bit tinny. I have had it for 5 months now and am getting use to recognizing what side I am actually hearing someone on. I disagree that there isn't much of a WOW factor for someone who has been SSD for a longer time period. When I had the demo put on I was sold instantly. I wanted them to do the surgery that day! 40+ years of not hearing on the right side was long enough for me. And to now be able to sit anywhere at a table and not be concerned that I can't hear the people to my right makes this the best thingI have ever done for myself.
SSD since birth some 40+ yrs ago. Baha surgery in Oct 09 Received BP100 in Jan 10.