Author Topic: Dr. Galfinos or Pittsburgh?  (Read 4481 times)

nanramone

Dr. Galfinos or Pittsburgh?
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:33:47 am »
Hi everyone,

In the process of learning, I seem to see Dr. Galfinos' name come up. My daughter lives in Brooklyn and works in the financial district in NYC, which is close to where Dr. Galfinos does surgery. I think that though I live in Indiana, it makes sense to consider being treated in New York, especially if I choose surgery. The first surgeon I saw in Indianapolis recommended radiation, but my guts told me to leave Indiana to have this treated.

I wonder if some of you who have experience with either radiation in Pittsburgh or surgery at NYU could give me feedback. I'm also curious about radiation outcomes at NYU since the nurse told me Galfinos will also recommend radiation if appropriate. I'm interested in hearing the good or the bad news about either of these places, just to help me process all of this.

My records are currently in Pittsburgh - I am planning a trip to New York in May. Thanks so much for input!

Nancy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Dr. Galfinos or Pittsburgh?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:10:29 pm »
Nan -

Drs. Roland & Golfinos are excellent doctors; they have a very good reputation.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nmspee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »
Although we live in Connecticut, my husband had his acoustic neuroma surgery by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos at NYU on March 31rst. They were recommended to us because they are experts. They did another AN surgery the same day as my husband's. He went home on the third day post op. We felt we were in the very best of hands. They were so professional, skilled, and experienced. The nurses were also great. All the tumor was removed with no facial weakness at all. Balance is better each day. We would highly recommend this New York team. We would be glad to answer any other questions about them. Good Luck with your decision.
Marilyn and d***
d***
AN 1.1cm x 2 cm diagnosed 2/2/2010
Removed via translabyrinthine approach on 3/31/2010 by Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos at NYUMC.

rupert

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:49:19 pm »
     If your looking at Gamma Knife,  Pittsburgh is A-one.   They have tremendous experience and the team there are all first rate.   I had mine done there with Dr.
Kondziolka  and do not hesitate to refer anyone to them.   UPMC has done over 10,000 (not all AN's).  Good luck with your decision.   Bryan

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:03:20 pm »
I had siurgery w/Golfinos and Roland nearly 2 years ago - top notch docs, loads of AN experience, excellent hosptial.  Dr G also heads up the brain gamma knife dept at NYU so he can talk to you equally about both options.  Also heard wonderful things about Dr K in PA.  If you want any other info on Golfinos, feel free to email or PM me.
Good luck!  The part you are going through now was the hardest part for me.
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

nanramone

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:41:21 am »
Thanks to everyone who has input -
I think I've found the right place to go. My daughter will be happy to have me there with her for several weeks if I'd like to stay, and her husband is even willing to return to Indiana with me for a while if there are any complications....but I am feeling more optimistic about this as the days pass.

Nancy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:09:37 pm »
Nan -

this sounds like it's a very good solution.  Having your daughter available to help you post op is a great thing - and your son in law offering to return home with you if necessary is also a wonderful idea.

Sounds like things are coming together.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nanramone

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:11:28 am »
Well, since I discovered Dr. Golfinos does not accept my insurance but Dr. Lundsford does, I believe I will head to Pittsburgh. Dr. Lunsford sent an email to me a few minutes ago, assuring me that he himself will administer the treatment (some one here in town scared me and said they'll let STUDENTS do it!!!)...He said he has sent a request to the department for my records to make sure he receives everything.

Again, though I know there are no guarantees, I am happy this thing is small enough that I'm a candidate for Gamma Knife. My daughter will fly into Pittsburgh to meet me, so I won't be alone.

thanks to you all...

Nancy