Author Topic: CROS Hearing Aids  (Read 12354 times)

Julianne

• Juli
CROS Hearing Aids
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:34:08 am »
I am 2-years post-op and have SSD on left side. Last fall I decided to get hearing aids at the urging of my husband who is soft-spoken. I decided to get CROS hearing aids since my hearing is normal on the nonsurgical side. I was not interested at the time in another surgery to get the BAHA. My audiologist recommended Phonak who he has worked with before with other patients with more normal hearing loss. I had trouble initially getting them adjusted and had to send them back a few times. Then they developed a constant high-pitched wavering whistle and I sent them back and it took two adjustments before it went away. Then I used them successfully for 2-3 months and they were great. Then the whistle came back and I sent them back 7 weeks ago. Now I am told that it is not just me, but others are having the same problem and they are working on fixing it. Yuck!

Has anyone else used Phonak or another brand for wireless behind the ear CROS hearing aids? They really helped me hear my husband, especially in the car when he drives and is on my deaf side. It really helps in noisy restaurants or events when I am sitting next to someone on my deaf side. It is great outside when someone is on my deaf side (which tends to happen so often). When I am in a quiet room I don't have a need for them, but I just wear them all the time and really miss them.

If Phonak cant fix them, I am interested in learning about Transear which seems to be popular.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

Julianne

• Juli
Re: CROS Hearing Aids
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:18:20 pm »
Hi Donnalynn,
What great feedback! It is good to know that others have tried Phonak and had problems, too. Why are they still selling them if they have had problems for years!!! Arrrrrgh! Mine are brown to match my hair and I didn't feel they are too cumbersome, but I don't wear glasses. I did have to buy a new winter hat because the added bulk caused my hats to be too tight and painful. I also heard feedback when going through sensors at stores. Also when I drove by the police station in town every day on my way to work.

You said the Unitron CROS hearing aids are on the FM/Wifi system? Is that different from the wireless Phonak CROS? Interesting idea to try a hearing aid in your good ear and not on the deaf side. Let me know if you can hear sound from the deaf side. My biggest problems are when I am walking outside with someone on my deaf side and sitting next to someone in a noisy environment and hearing my husband in the car.

I would be interested to hear what your Audiologist learns about the Transear at his conference. My Audiologist has worked with only 6 patients with SSD over his 25 year career. I live in the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts and don't know of anyone more seasoned.

I am going to read more about people's opinions about the Transear on this Forum. Thanks for your help and good luck. Keep me posted.
Suboccipital surgery on 4/25/08 at Mass General Hospital by Drs. McKenna and Barker. SSD on left side and normal hearing on right. Having trouble with Phonak brand CROS hearing aids and neck stiffness.

Steve H

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 07:25:08 am »
I have been SSD since birth or early childhood (not sure which). And I recently tried the Unitron Unison 3 CROS/BiCROS hearing aid. I found it helped in softer environments. But it didn't help in louder environments. When I read about the new Unitron Tandem CROS/BiCROS model due to be released soon (see link below), I returned the Unison 3 and told my audiologist I wanted to try the Tandem when it comes out. The Unison 3 is 5/6 year old technology. And because it only helped in certain situations, it didn't really make sense to get it.

Although the release date for the Tandem is this month, my audiologist and a Unitron representative (who was present when I returned the Unison 3) said it probably wouldn't be available until the fall. As soon as I'm in another trial period, I will report the results. I'm not crazy about all the hardware involved with a CROS/BiCROS hearing aid. But if I find a model that prevents me from always having to situate people on my good side in noisy environments, it will be something I can live with.

Tandem: (http://unitron.com/unitron/us/en/AboutUs/media_center0/news_releases/news-tandemlaunch20100507.html)

Steve H

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:32:56 pm »
Donnalynn,

The Tandem can be used both in CROS and BiCROS modes. Here's a web site that better explains its features. In the left column under Tandem, there are 5 sub-links. The download sub-link has a number of PDF's that go into all of its features in detail.

http://unitron.com/content/unitron/us/en/professional/products-p/tandem/overview.html

Initial price quotes I got from one audiologist are $3395 for the Tandem 16 and $2695 for the Tandem 4. The remote unit is an additional $250. I will be trialing the Tandem 16 as soon as I get another set of price quotes from a second audiologist.

I've learned a lot from this web site, particularly regarding the Transear and the newer SoundBite. I have to say, this is the best web site I've found for SSDers to compare notes. Lots of really great information. So I will be posting my experiences with the Tandem 16, probably in a few months.

Steve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:59:21 am »
I've learned a lot from this web site, particularly regarding the Transear and the newer SoundBite. I have to say, this is the best web site I've found for SSDers to compare notes. Lots of really great information.

There's also lots of really great information on the Forum about the BAHA.

It's not for everyone, but it's an incredible option for those of us with SSD.

I've had my BAHA for a little over 2 years now and couldn't live without it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Steve H

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:16:53 pm »
I purchased the Unitron Tandem 16 CROS/Bi-CROS hearing aid a few weeks ago for $3645. And the initial results are very good. As someone who has lived with SSD all my life, it's quite an experience hearing things now on my deaf side. I've done many double-takes recently, thinking I'm hearing something on my good side, only to realize it's on my deaf side. I can actually boost the deaf side hearing so that it's louder than my good side. But I usually don't do this and instead try to keep them equal. My audiologist said some of his other patients are getting similarly good results from the Tandem 16. I still need to do some loud restaurant tests where half the gathering is on my deaf side to see how well it performs in this critical situation. But for normal day to day environments, it's working out very well.

In a month or so, after I've done a number of restaurant tests, I'll post more comments.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:35:05 pm by Steve H »

JAndrews

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 07:00:09 pm »
I have been trying the transear for about 6 months now. Honestly, for me, maybe not others..it was a waste of money. At first I thought it was working but it really doesn't help. If someone is standing or sitting directly behind me I can hear them a little better. Thats it. Very expensive, the company did some adjustments for me and extended the time I could have it before actually paying for it. I really did not want to give up, but now I have. I don't regret it, atleast I gave it a try:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Brewers7

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22:51 am »
I have had the Transear for 2 months and I am very happy with it.  At one point my dog chewed on it, so I had to get it repaired, which took less than 2 weeks.  I did not try the CROS but I did try the BAHA demo.  To me, the Transear is comparable to the BAHA demo in overall effectiveness.  Several have said that the final BAHA is much more effective than the demo.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 02:03:25 pm »
I'm just home from my first appt to get the CROS hearing aid.   The way he explained it, I would have a wireless (like WIFI) device to send the signal.   Ever since I had the tumor I've been very wary of WIFI.    I asked him what was the SAR level, was there any radiation involved and he said if that is important to me then he'll fit me with a CROS wired device.   I tried a demo on and was very happy.   The price was good too,  $1350 plus $300 to the hearing aid company.

I get my fitting on June 25 when the device comes in.

I hope I'll be the poster girl and that this part of my problem will be over.   It should help my neck pain as well.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 03:30:45 pm »
Mei Mei ~

Congratulations on the acquisition of your new CROS hearing device.  I hope it is as successful as you wish because you certainly deserve a break.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

I am looking forward to it.   You are always there to encourage.   I'm looking forward to when I can meet with the Massachusetts people.
Mei Mei

1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh