Author Topic: MRI Number 4  (Read 8537 times)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Re: MRI Number 4
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 05:52:20 pm »
I am convinced Watch and Wait is stressful
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Lizard

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 07:45:56 pm »
Hi Vivian       In the last 2.5 yrs I have convinced myself ,through research,that Radiation,Surgery and Waiting and Watching are my best options but the Docs don't think that I should do all 3 at once. I remain very confused but thankful to have options. Some how we will figure this out.   Best wishes Dave

Too funny, yet not funny... this can be so confusing and probably the hardest part of the process is deciding which treatment is the best for you...no one can tell you which.  I was in your shoes with a 1.5cm AN, I don't wish that torment on anyone, but you have all of our experiences to use as a sounding board! 

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

DHJ

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »
  Wait and Watch is definitely stressful and so are my 2 teenagers. I am now on high blood pressure meds and occasional Zynax when I can't deal with the tinnitus.Yoga and exercise are helpful.    peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

Derek

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 05:42:39 am »
I am convinced Watch and Wait is stressful

Hi Rivergirl...

The aspect of mental stress with relevance to being in the 'watch & wait' mode is merely a state of mind that you can alleviate if you pause and fully assess the available treatment options which are 1) excision 2) stereotactic radiosurgery or 3) conservative management (watch & wait) should your neuro consultant agree with this latter course of action.

What you must fully appreciate is that whatever course of treatment you ultimately decide upon, you will have to continue having annual MRI scans for the rest of your life in order that you can be certain that there is no regrowth of the tumour occurring therefore in effect, whatever treatment choice you make you will always be in 'watch & wait'.

It therefore follows that in embarking upon the 'watch & wait' treament mode you are in fact under no additional stress and viewed logically, you could say that you are under less stress because you have not subjected yourself to either of the other available treatment options which of course do also carry an element of risk.

My personal advice based upon 8 years+ in 'watch & wait' is to carry on in that mode for as long as it is possible for you to do so notwithstanding that the size of your AN is suitable for conservative management and your neuro consultant is in full agreement wth that intended course of action.

Regards

Derek

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:39:43 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Sheryl

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 10:38:00 am »
Derek - great post.  I guess, though, that there are some people who will always be on "W&W" even after surgical excision or radiosurgery.  For that matter, there are those who are on "W&W" for everything and anything - LOL!!

Following close behind or in front of you (schwannoma found November, 2001),
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

DHJ

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:24 am »
Thanks Derek   Great perspective and pep talk. I needed that.    peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

Vivian B.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 12:50:37 pm »
Hi Derek,

That was great! I think that's what we all need to hear from time time. It definitely puts things in perspective in our confused llittle alien minds.

Thanks.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.