Author Topic: Lyrica for tinnitus?  (Read 36585 times)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
Lyrica for tinnitus?
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:27:30 am »
My psychiatrist called up his expert pharmacist and inquired about new drugs for tinnitus.  He mentioned a study in Spain where Lyrica reduced tinnitus volume by 60% in most of the patients with severe tinnitus.  I know a few of you on this forum have fibromyalgia.  Have you tried Lyrica?  If so, how have you tolerated it and did you notice any difference with your tinnitus?  I know Lyrica is FDA approved for fibromyalgia and it kind of makes sense that a drug used to treat overactive neurons (creating the nerve pain) might also treat overactive neurons (creating the noise).  It's all a big science experiment, but I figured I would check in here to see if anyone has experience with this drug.  My psychiatrist also mentioned Neurontin which is in the same family (anti-convulsants) for tinnitus, but I've read lots of bad stories about this drug and tinnitus already.

Here is the link to the tinnitus trial:  http://www.apmhealtheurope.com/story.php?mots=EAR&searchScope=1&searchType=0&numero=L12493

Thanks for any advice, warnings or for just telling me to chill on the tinnitus research.  (I can't stop myself!)

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Mickey

Re: Lyrica for tinnitus?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:20 am »
Hi newmommyLA! Lyrica sounds interesting! Presently W+W for 3 years I`ve tried Neuromonics which has helped me with my tinnitus. It`s still there but softer and not quite as much annoying. I`ve had tinnitus for close to 30 years and alway followed everything out there. Here` hoping for a cure someday, Best wishes, Mickey

moe

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:14:24 pm »
No,
You don't have to chill on the tinnitus research. You're doing lots of investigative work for ME ;D Thanks, I appreciate it!

I tried neurontin but it didn't work. My psychiatrist tried a different antiseizure drug- a new one, but it didn't work. Which brought me back to xanax which helps a little, and it was the only one.

I truly understand how maddening the tinnitus can be. It basically controls my life, and I want a cure too. :(  First gotta finish my face and eye issues. It's a long road......

If you try Lyrica, let me know how it goes for you. ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:28:55 am »
Amy,

Lyrica is not really a new drug, its been out a number of years now and was first labelled as the new and improved Neurontin. I take 1500mg of neurontin a day for my headaches and its had no side effects at all. It hasn't affected my Tinnitus which is also rampant. I tried Lyrica a few years back and it didn't help my headaches nor did it have any affect on my Tinnitus.

What I have learned on this forum about drugs is that some drugs work for some people but not for others. You really have to trial them to find a balance. As for this so called study that indicated Lyrica had a 60% success rate in reducing tinnitus volume - I say humbug.

Be very careful about quoted stats. THE ONLY STUDIES YOU SHOULD TAKE SERIOUSLY ARE THOSE PUBLISHED IN REPUTABLE JOURNALS WITH A PROPER PEER REVIEW PROCESS. You also have to understand how many people were studied, how random the selection was etc.  i have been guilty of getting carried away with studies that provide the answer i want to see when the study has serious flaws in it.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:28:50 am »
Amy,

I take 1500mg of neurontin a day for my headaches and its had no side effects at all.

Can you tell me about the neurontin, I have headaches and have been exploring my options.  The pain is nerve related so I was curious if it might work better than my current med indocin and if its easier on the body.
PM me if you don't mind talking about it.
Thanks,
Liz

Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

newmommyLA

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:39 am »
Hey Lizard,

I'm sorry but I have never taken Neurontin or Lyrica.  I've only discussed these two meds that are FDA approved for nerve pain and epilepsy as possible treatments for tinnitus. 
Larry is taking the Neurontin.  I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you more about it.

Best of Luck and let us know how you do if you switch meds.

Amy

PS  I know what you mean about wanting to be a mommy but barely being able to take care of yourself.  I'm a new mommy and feel overwhelmed every day.  I wish this time could have been a lot happier for our family. 
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:41:20 pm »
Amy,

neurontin is a drug usually used for Epilepsy but as iys a nerve ending pain reliever, its also been found useful for headache relief. I must say that I have been on it for a few years now and it does help reduce the headache pain - doesn't get rid of it but it does make life tolerable. I have found that 1200mg per day helps and has no impact on my tiredness but 1500mg per day is the ideal level where the help is better. However, I do get a bit drowsy but i can still work. Other posties have had 2500mg per day but it zonks them out.

Indocin like all other anti inflamoatories didn't help me and because they destroy your stomach lining, I stay away from them. Anyone reading this post that takes anti inflamatories such as ibuprofen (nurafen) should be taking drugs like Losec to counter the effects on the stomach or you are guaranteed an ulcer and losta stomach damage.

Other headache relievers are Lyrica and Topomax - Topomax can cause glaucoma so you need to watch your eye pressure and you'll know at the start of taking this drug.

I'm very happy with Neurontin although it does nothing for my tinnitus.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:24:14 pm »
Sorry meant to quote that last one for Larry...I try to be crafty at work and use the forum hoping nobody is watching... but sometimes it's not so slick...Amy sorry about the screwy quote.
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:35:07 pm »
Liz, occassional screwy quote-'em's are forgiven :)

Hi all

I'm with Larry/Laz on this.  Have been on Neurontin/Gabapentin (off and on) for approx 3+ years... have been (temporarily) on Lyrica for Fibromyalgia.... neither affected (ie: reduced) my tinnitus.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

newmommyLA

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 03:02:47 pm »
Nobody here needs to apologize for anything.  I figured the Lyrica/Neurontin for tinnitus was an unlikely "cure", but I can't seem to stop looking for one.  At least Liz got some good advice here on possible new treatment for her headaches.  I hope you find some relief soon, Liz!

Amy

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »
Thanks so much!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

agss241

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 09:47:51 am »
I have had very severe tinnitus for approx. 30 years.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the effects of the tinnitus has caused
serious problems in relationships as well as problems at work.  As a computer programmer I was sitting at a desk in front of a keyboard for
very long periods of time, very often with nothing to do, nothing to concentrate on.  When you're hearing a fire truck siren going full blast in your head it cannot help but cause one to often become short-tempered and irritated.  It has also caused problems sleeping.  Often I have had to read or have some means of concentrating on something besides the noise until I got to the point of falling asleep out of sheer exhaustion.
I started taking Lyrica for diabetic neuropathy about 3 years ago and, looking back, the tinnitus was not bad, still a light ringing, but someone shut down the fire truck!  It was tolerable to the point that I was sleeping well.  A couple of months ago I stopped taking the Lyrica because of the high cost, did not take it for about 6 weeks.  The tinnitus came back with a vengeance.  The neuropathy returned, also with a strong vengeance.  Last week I had my Lyrica prescription refilled, when I got it I took a double-dose (NOT recommended!) and after that initial high dose I have been taking the prescribed dosage and the neuropathy has almost disappeared and so has the tinnitus. 
I am thinking after another week of regular Lyrica doseage I will stop taking it for awhile in order to see if the tinnitus returns.  I KNOW the neuropathy will return, but for the purpose of seeing if I can correlate the Lyrica with the tinnitus I can bear it for a week or two.
I'll check back in after I do this (totally NOT scientific) test and see if I can make the correlation. 
If you have not grown up by age 50 then you are not required to.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 11:56:20 am »
Hi agss241 .....

I presume you noticed this is a very old thread about Lyrica so the posts may not be very valid now.

You do not say if you have/had an acoustic neuroma.  If not, and tinnitus is the major issue for you, you might do well to check in with the American Tinnitus Association for additional information.  See:  http://www.ata.org/

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

agss241

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »
No, I have not had an acoustic neuroma.  I came to this thread because I did a search on Lyrica and tinnitus.  Was looking for information
if Lyrica has any effect on tinnitus.
If you have not grown up by age 50 then you are not required to.

ghstdncr

• Staying active
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »
I have had tinnitus appox 20 yr,nothing other then staying busy and trying to ignore works for me,due to other mental/ physical issues I have at time been on Ibeprohen,lyrica,morphine,gabapinen,Cymbalta,and Prozac none ever gave me any relief.I also have an AN in right ear,tinnitus in left and at times lose hearing in AN side.?At this time I take Cyballta,Lyrica,and Clonasapam and have been Wait and Watch for 15 yrs
Discover-06-2000 R sided
4mmx4mm
4mmx9mm-11-2016
Wait and Watch, balance issues, tinnitus L side, Headaches ,dry eyes