Author Topic: Even the new box is impressive :)  (Read 10568 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Even the new box is impressive :)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 10:03:24 pm »
Kay -

I know a wonderful neurotologist here who could do your BAHA.  I highly recommend him.  Come visit  ;D

Greg -

I'm glad you get to try both the BP100 and the Intenso before making your choice.  Ken (kencutus) wears an Intenso, but today at lunch he tried my Divino.  That titanium rod in the skull can come in really handy @ times LOL

My BP100 is brown just like my Divino.  Although I'm still not dying my hair again (to the horror of my teenage daughter  :o ) I'm not gray enough yet to warrant a white one.  Give me a few years!  :D

Catherine -

good question about the directional microphone; I specifically asked the audiologist about this.  She said that the BP100 basically has a built in microphone and that switching from setting #1 (quiet) to setting #2 (noisy) is basically the same thing as flipping the directional microphone on the Divino (where it's actually a very tiny switch).

As for volume, I haven't had time to play with that yet and I haven't read the instruction manual so I don't know how many volume settings I have.  The top edge of the BP100 has three buttons.  The middle one is the on/off button (when held firmly) and it's also used to switch programs (when "hit" fast).  The buttons on either side of it control the volume.  Whether the buttons are "up" or "down" depends on which side you are deaf on.  Because I am deaf left, the button closest to my nose is my "up" button and the button closest to my neck is my "down" button - or maybe that's vice versa, I forget.  Anyway, if I were deaf right, the buttons would be just the opposite.

Lauren -

glad you like the "straight up information".  I have a habit of telling it like it is - which can be both a blessing and a curse  :D  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:29:46 am »
Hi Jan,
Glad to hear you are so happy with the BP100.  ;D It's also good to know that you find it improved over the Divino, since you've now had both. I feel I made the right decision to wait for the BP100.

I am interested on the MP3 adapter. You say the sound quality is good, but is it the same as an ear bud, or better?

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 07:33:04 am »
Kay,

Dr Vrabec at Methodist/Baylor just installed my implant on the 24th of March. He is just a super star in my book.

James

Cheryl R

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 08:02:16 am »
Jan,  Good to hear how well you like your BP100 and that is what you hoped it would be!    Not everyone would understand what a big deal it is!            I hope it keeps doing well!
                                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 09:03:30 am »
Sooooooooo jealous!   :P

Hope you've got Jimmy Buffett on that MP3 player!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sam Rush

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 09:13:46 am »
I also am jealous!!!   Come out to California and have lunch with me, so I can try it!!
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »
Just seeing this thread...  I'm glad you like the BP100, Jan!  I'm officially jealous again now..  I really wish that long lost rich uncle would find me soon.  ;)

I'll have to see if Dr Vrabec has a BP100 testband that I can borrow for a little while when I go back there in May..  I'm curious about it more now.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 12:49:15 pm »
I am interested on the MP3 adapter. You say the sound quality is good, but is it the same as an ear bud, or better?

IMO, the sound quality with the adapter is better than the ear bud.  And while my mono plug and single ear bud have worked well for me for almost 3 years now, I have to say I don't miss having to keep pushing the ear bud into my ear when it slips out.  No ear bud = no slippage.

Actually the only reason I purchased the adapter is that Pooter pointed out to us that it was 1/2 price (Thanks, Pooter).  I think it's back to regular price now, though.

Lori -  you know Jimmy is on my iPod.  While I've been playing some oldies lately (did you know that Treetop Flyer is at the very end of the last song on the Banana Wind CD?) I've also been listening to Buffet Hotel a lot lately.

Sam - I was in CA just last August on business; this year it will be Seattle.  But I'd be happy to let you try my BP100 - and I'll even buy you lunch - however, you'll have to meet me in Seattle or come to Illinois.  Unless, that is, you want to send me a round-trip ticket to CA  ;D  Can't blame a girl for asking  ;)  :D

Jan 
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

hearncl

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »
Jan,

If feedback beeps become annoying, try having the audi turn feedback reduction off. Although new firmware helped this problem with my BP100, some tones still caused beeps or whines. For example, our telephone ringing set off a sustained whine in my BP100. I had the audi set feedback reduction to "off" for Program 1. So far, I haven't noticed any increased feedback with feedback reduction off, and the beeps/whines are gone.

I have experienced a low frequency "crackling" triggered by certain sounds. Have you experienced this?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »
No crackling sounds yet, but I did notice a few squeaks during a meeting today.

I couldn't decide if the rest of the people in the room heard them though, or if it was just me  ::)

They happened when I talked a little too loudly or when one of my colleagues seated on my left (BAHA) side said certain words that had distinctive sounds. 

I basically ignored the squeaks and no one else seemed disturbed by them, so either they didn't hear them or they were just being polite. 

I'll have to ask my colleagues if they heard any weird noises coming from my head, since I should probably know this for the future.

Jan

Sefra22

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
Hey Jan,
As far as others being able to hear your BP100, I have asked people if they can hear the low battery beep on mine, and no one else has heard it but me. It seems really loud to me, though. Like a truck backing up.  ;)

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

hearncl

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 06:39:34 pm »
Next time I go to the audiologist, I'm going to ask her if she can hear the feedback squeal when I put my hand over the BP100. I also wonder whether anyone else can hear the beeps when changing programs or volume. They seem loud to me.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 12:52:44 am »
Jan, I am so glad to hear that you are loving your BP100...Sounds like you went from driving a nice car to a Cadillac!!! One of these years I am sure even better ones will come out, can you just imagine? :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 11:19:56 pm »
Forgot to say in my first post that I asked my audiologist about batteries since I always just use Duracell that I purchase at Walmart and some claim you should use batteries you buy from your audiologist or order from a hearing aid place online.

She told me that it doesn't matter where you get your batteries or who manufacturers them.  As long as they are size 13 (orange) they are all pretty much the same in her opinion.

I tend to agree with this since I've been using Duracell batteries for a few years now and I get at least 2 weeks out of one battery.

Jay -

I think that Cochlear will keep making more advanced BAHA devices as time goes on.  Just the differences between my Divino and my BP100 (the upgrade) are impressive.  I think the future holds all kinds of exciting possibilities.

Lisa -

thanks for your input on the beeping sounds.  I think the beeping I heard during my meeting might be the same thing - noticeable to me but not to others.  Or perhaps more noticeable to me than it was to them.  I'll have to do some research on this.

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:18 pm »
Jan,

Congratulations on getting your BP100!  I know you've been anxiously awaiting it's arrival and I'm glad it's lived up to your expectations.  I have to say I'm just a little bit jealous, but I do still love my Divino.  I'm hoping to upgrade in the next year or so and really looking forward to it though. Congratulations again!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!