Author Topic: Yearly MRI's and Do you really want to know?  (Read 9076 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Yearly MRI's and Do you really want to know?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 09:21:49 am »
My doc, Dr. Friedman at House told me to have another one at 5 years post-op.  I had one at 11 months looking for a phantom CFI leak to explain the horrendous headaches I was having. I emailed him last month to find out when I should have the next one.  Right after surgery, he had said 3 years. I mailed him the 11 month one.  That seems to be a long time, to me.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 09:51:57 am »
I'm gonna go every year because I dont want an AN on the other side! .. with the BAHA my hearing is not so bad,  but if I was forced to get a trans-lab on the other side , I would be screwed  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 11:33:56 am »
Barb: I did not have a post-op MRI until around 7 years post-op (the doctors following me weren't neurosurgoens and thought CAT scans were enough....long story) I was told that one showed "scar tissue" by my neurologist and it was actually done for another reason, she wanted me to have one the next year and after that one she said "scar tissue" but sent me on to see the neurosurgeon....turns out she lied on both counts it was clearly stated in the reports it was tumor regrowth and it continued to grow between the two MRI's....this put me in the "wait and see" mode for almost 6 years and that was emotionally draining and it was only because of my psychological need to have surgery that it was done last fall and now I have vowed never to have another MRI again, if it grows back I don't wanna know.
Now that could change because before my son was born I said I would never have surgery agin if it grew back and I changed that decision and I remain angry at the doctor who lied to me when the regrowth was found, had she told me the truth I would have had surgery before having my children and it was bases on her saying all was well that I went ahead and had my son.
What my point is Barb is I can see not wanting to know if there is a regrowth and never wanting to have another MRI, you can always change your mind at anytime and have one but once you've had it and found out there is a regorwth you can't change that!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

stein78

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 12:14:03 pm »
I'm gonna go every year because I dont want an AN on the other side!

I'm with you!  I'm only 28 so I got a long life ahead of me.  Even though my doctor said not to worry about getting an AN on my good side, I still worry about it.  If you are going to have bilateral ANs (NF2?), do they happen at the same time?  I have no clue.

I'm all for getting the MRIs, I like to have piece of mind knowing that all is good.  If I was to have a problem, the sooner I find out about it the better.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:21:25 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 12:34:38 pm »
while I was at "House" a got to talking to a Man and his Wife (They dont have a computer!, so they are not on here!), they very nice, at any rate, He was very deaf, because he was there for his AN other the other side .. and his first AN was 10 years ago!

so no .. they dont happen at the same time ..  >:(

So if my insurance will let me , I'l like to have one every year for 5 years, then go every other year for 5 or 6 years, then every 5 years until 80 .. if I get that far  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

stein78

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 12:37:03 pm »
so no .. they dont happen at the same time ..  >:(

CRAPOLA!  >:(  I meet with my doc next Friday for my one year check-up. I'm going to get his thoughts on it.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Pembo

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 12:37:39 pm »
For those who have had regrowth, do you have symptoms or was it just picked up on the MRI?  My main symptom was balance trouble and without the nerve I know that can't happen.

I think maybe waiting a few years would be a better idea.  

Decisions are definitely harder for me since surgery..........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 01:18:38 pm »
Kathleen Mc
Sorry you had to go thru all that and thanks for sharing.  The lesson in it is for all of us to get and save copies of all medical and lab reports, copies of all our MRI's, CAT's and learn to read them ourselves. Thank God for the internet where we can look up medical terminology.  How do folks not "online" ever become pro-active about their own healthcare? I can't imagine.

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 01:58:43 pm »
I definitely know how you feel…kind of feels like we live our lives “around the next MRI�  I find myself making life decisions based around the MRI’s     IE: to take (or not take) a job that requires moving, to buy a new car (HHmmm  may not be employed…better re-think this), etc…    Kind of a drag.  Anyone else feel this way?

But…I’d say to go for the MRI…it’s better to know and be informed (and to make decisions), then top wait until there is a problem and you’re wheeled off into the O/R.  Knowledge is power, and the more we know about this enemy and it’s location…the better we’ll be able to defeat it.  Personally I look at it like a military assault.   The MRI’s are intel   :)

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 08:27:07 pm »
Interesting thread.

I would say that if you can handle the emotion of knowingh whether regrowth has occurred then have annual MRI's. If you can't handle the emotion and don;t want to know then don't have them.

This also depends on whether you have any symptoms or not and that depends on where the wretched thing grows. I'd say its a personal thing

As only MRI's show AN's, those quacks that only did cat scans should be shot Kathleen thats why stats etc for AN's has really only been useful from MRI inception - about 20 years ago'ish.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 09:34:17 pm »
Stein: No the tumors associated with NFII do not always grow at the same time, in fact it can be a number of years inbetween the appearance of tumors. That is not to say that they can't.

Pembo: I did not have symptoms of the regrowth, or so I am told. All the associated nerves were removed the first time around and the tumor was confined to the auditory canal, the nerves were not there. If the tumor had been left to grow big enough to come out into the "brain cavity" I would have possibly developed symptoms....but I got it out before that could happen.

Larry: To state the AN's cannot be seen on CAT scans is wrong, in fact my orginal tumor was seen plain as day on a CAT scan and I was very quickly ushered into the waiting room of MRI (that wasn't supposed to be done for another week) and the MRI done to ensure my safety to go home (that sucker was BIG!, the tumor was displacing the opposite posterior lobe, within MM of the brain stem and basically taking up all the "space" availble in there.). Now the average AN cannot be seen on CAT scans and certainly those confined to the auditory canal would not be seen (at least I don't think) and certainly MRI's are the gold standard for follow up on treated AN's.

My unfortunate circumstances of follow up are unusual for the AN patient, I believe most doctor's are aware for the need for MRI's as follow up.... I am no longer under the care of these doctor's and haven't been for some years. I have now been seen by 4 different neurologists in my life time and the only one who is worth anything was the one who found my tumor orginally but that was just his luck, he thought I had MS and put me in an MS study to get the testing done faster.....boy was he shocked when he got the call! I didn't continue to see me for a few reasons but one of them was that he lacked knowledge of how to handle my follow up.

Kathleen
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:53:08 pm by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

lmurray69

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 09:50:35 pm »
Hay you go for it girl what is one more MRI if it saves your life.. ;D
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

julieteresa

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 04:05:47 pm »
hi -

i had a 4.5 cm. an removed two years ago.  recently (two months ago), i started to experience symptoms silimar to those that  i had before i was initially diagnosed.

i took charge and called my doctor to schedule an mri (i had it yesterday).  i wouldn't do anything to "make the doctor happy"  - they have their own families and friends to worry about anyway.  my thought is that it's your life - the only person who is going to take of yourself (and make sure you are in the best hands possible) is you.

there are no dangers/side-effects of the mri procedure (unless you have extreme claustraphobia issues), so i say go for it.

regardless of the findings, at least you won't be living with your head in the sand.

best of luck to you.
4.5 Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
April 22, 2004
House Ear Clinic
Dr. William Slattery III and Dr. Mark Schwartz

Battyp

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 07:52:52 pm »
Keeping fingers crossed for you Julieteresa..hoping your mri shows nothing remarkable!

keep us posted on how you are!

Jeff

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 11:36:27 pm »
This thread really piqued my interest. I have NF2 and have had one AN removed in two surgeries, first retrosigmoid, and then translab 2 years later. I have scans every 6 months to monitor the other AN. It is now 3.5 cm and stable for the past year. I have grown accustomed to the pre MRI stress every 6 months, but I absolutely hate it. Therer are times when I want to go ahead and have surgery so I don't have it hanging over my head so to speak. It is stressful, but I much prefer frequent MRI scans to an unmonitored tumor that had a growth spurt while I wasn't watching.

Jeff :)
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08