Author Topic: Back on the forum - fainting episode  (Read 9644 times)

kenneth_k

Back on the forum - fainting episode
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:51:05 am »
Hello everyone.

I'm back on the forum. 6 months ago things were super and fine. I actually deleted my profile on the forum to take an active step towards putting the AN experience behind me for good.

That was a mistake. Both because I have missed you all, but also because my problems are back.

The last month or so, I felt my post-op symptoms worsen. Especially balance. Two days ago I fainted. Scared the living daylights out of my wife and kids.

My GP wants me to get in contact with my ENT again and maybe have an MRI. No problems in the blood-work at all.

I sent the request today, but due to Easter Hollidays, I won't hear from him before next week, the earliest.

This was not what I was hoping for.

Anyhow, hope you are doing fine out there.

Regards, Kenneth

Kaybo

Re: Back on the forum - fainting episode
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:52:52 am »
Kenneth~
Sorry to hear this news...you will have to keep us updated!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:55:00 pm »
Kenneth,
Too bad it took a fainting spell to get you back to visit :( But good to hear from you :)
I have noticed recently that I have worse balance and I've been feeling more lightheaded, kind of dizzy. Don't know if it's the change in weather patterns, allergies or what, but I have made it a point in the past week to do my balance exercises. I'm almost four years post surgery, so basically I'm going to have to be vigilant with balance exercises until I die.
It's hard for all you people who have to work full time, to find the time.

Hope the fainting spell was nothing.
Let us know :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:34:42 pm »
Hi, Kenneth ~

Welcome back.  I'm pleased to learn that you missed us but dismayed that you're having these problems, which are not that common but not entirely unknown to post-op AN patients.  Unfortunately, AN patients don't follow a precise pattern of symptoms and/or recovery.  I trust that your doctors will find the source of the problem and be able to correct it, soon.

Now that you're 'back', please keep your AN family updated on your situation.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kenneth_k

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:25:47 am »
Going to see an ENT today.
A little bit excited, but I guess - who wouldn't be. ;)
I´ll keep you updated.

kenneth_k

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:15 am »
I'm back from my ENT. She has ordered a follow up MRI. What a relief. As you all now, it's not funny feeling that something is wrong and not knowing for sure.
I also had a couple of incidents the last two days. Some pain in the operated ear, a warm wet feeling and a fluid dripping in the throat. I was afraid it might be a weird late onset CSF leak. It turned out that I have a middle ear infection. I've been given antibiotics. They will take care of that problem for sure.

I'll stay home from work a couple of days, lick my wounds, play some Guitar Hero, and then move onwards again.

Best regards, Kenneth.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:12:26 pm »
Kenneth ~

Thanks for the update.  I feel a bit odd stating that I'm 'glad' to learn that you 'only' have an ear infection - but, in this case, I am.  I'm certain that is a relief!  The MRI is a good idea, too, as a precaution.  Enjoy your time off, heal and go forward with a renewed sense of optimism.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kenneth_k

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:53 am »
Hello everyone.

Just got word from the hospital. Follow up MRI at 15 june.
Patience - patience :-\

Best regards, Kenneth

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:25:45 am »
keep us posted, what were you doing when you fainted, did you get up too quickly ?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

kenneth_k

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:56 pm »
I'm not certain that's the reason. But thank you for asking.

Sure, I have tried dizzy spells when getting up to quickly. I guess most people have. But I've never passed out for 30 seconds before. I take it I should have had some kind of warning if it was from getting up to quickly.

Well, being nervous goes with the AN territory. That is probably why I feel more weak and wonky-headed at this time. I will try not to let it influence to much with our big family celebration in two days, when my daughter confirms her Christian Beliefs.

Family and friends will come from all over the country. We wil go to church, she will get an incredible amount presents, and we will eat and drink at an old fashioned restaurant / "Kings Bridge Inn" nearby a river. We are looking very much forward to it. :)

Kenneth

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 12:44:13 pm »
Hey Kenneth-

I know I am not alone is sending you lots of good thoughts.  Kind of crummy that you have to wait so long for the MRI, but as you say ... patience.  Know that we are all thinking of you and rooting for you!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »
Enjoy your family celebration tomorrowx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:36 am »
Hello Kenneth,
  I had a fainting episode before my AN was diagnosed.  I know how concerning that can be.  I just keeled over standing on the sidelines after a pickup basketball game.  It probably scared my fellow players more than it scared me.  :)   This was just another of a series of unexplained things leading up to AN diagnosis.  It was was never really attributed to my AN after diagnosis.  It was thought to be a sudden drop in blood pressure.   My guess is that a fainting episode could be possible if the AN is exerting pressure on the brain stem.   But, as your GP probably mentioned,  there can be many other causes for fainting.   Were there any odd things that happened that led up to the fainting episode?  I had a few odd sensation episodes before the faint, where I would hearing an odd buzzing sound and vision would slightly tunnelize.  I later realized that these where "partial faints".   I had one of these about 10 days after treatment, and none since.   With AN, I've found it all to easy to blame the AN for all sorts of odd health related things.  But in reality, they will probably remain idiopathic or unexplainable.   
  When I did some research on fainting I found out that most people experience at least one fainting episode sometime during their lives. So it doesn't necessarily indicative of a problem.  There can be many things that could explain a sudden drop in blood pressure.   From generally low blood pressure to things like the small back flow valves in the blood vessels momentarily allowing blood to flow to the legs when it was needed by your brain.
  My uneducated guess is that your episode doesn't mean that your AN is growing again.  And statistically speaking it most likely isn't.   Best of luck with the MRI.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

kenneth_k

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19:44 am »
Hi Rob.

Thank you for caring.

I felt pretty strange up to the time the AN was diagnosed.
I had that same strange feeling again, before the fainting episode. Maybe it is just stress, but I don't know why I should be stressed out ???

If it is stress, I will have to learn how to deal with that.

Best regards, Kenneth

kenneth_k

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 12:47:48 pm »
Talked to the Chief of Staff/Medical, Royal Danish Air Force. He is a neurosurgeon and has treated AN several times.
He said the fainting and dizziness would be related to the CSF leakage I have developed.

My god it feels good to have a sound explanation.

So I'm relaxing at home and taking his advice on not to strain my self.

I don't consider Guitar Hero straining, and it sure beats a dull day at the office.
Doctors are working on speeding up MRI/CT or whatever. I'll go with the flow.

Best regards, Kenneth.