Author Topic: Massage??? Exercises???  (Read 3448 times)

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
Massage??? Exercises???
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:17 am »
I'm 4 weeks post-op and am already starting to feel the muscles in my face tighten from lack of use.  Are there any exercises or massage therapies that will help?  I would like to stay ahead of the game to simplify the healing process when my facial nerve starts working agan.

Thanks, Pat
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

jazzfunkanne

Re: Massage??? Exercises???
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:26:55 am »
Pat this is a great site
http://www.bellspalsy.ws/
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

kawman600

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:23:32 am »
yes there are numerous facial exercises that will help,i am one year post op and i still continue to do them and they still help,raising your eyebrows ,squinting, closing your eyes tight (both at same time an each separately),smiling wide (showing teeth)grinning wide(showing no teeth) puckering your lips(looking like a fish)pouting (lower lip out),raising one side of the upper lip(like billy idol),jutting your lower cheek out,these are some that i do ,hope this helps !

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:04 am »
Hi Pat-

Just be careful not to be overzealous on the facial exercises.  You can do more harm than good if you work those muscles too hard while the nerves are still healing.  Remember that movements should be small and controlled - think isometrics.   :)   Moist heat can be very helpful if the problem is muscular.  Also, gentle massage can help.  If you have knotted muscles, use a finger to gently press the sore area and just keep holding pressure on it until it starts to stop hurting.  These things will help. 

Hang in there!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 02:25:58 pm »
I like to lay in the tub and place a nice warm face cloth on my face - it really helps and I do this every night before bed.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.