Author Topic: BAHA BP100 or TransEar 380-HF (newest versions)????  (Read 6488 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
BAHA BP100 or TransEar 380-HF (newest versions)????
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:30:28 am »
Well, I am seriously doing research on the options for bone conduction devices for SSD.   I do have great hearing in my good ear and now understand many things thanks to many on this forum  ;D

My questions kind of lean toward the newest things out there and if you have either to share your experiences and honest opinions!!     I know the TransEar option is very, very new so not expecting as much, but PLEASE note anything if you are familiar with it!     

I also posted this on Facebook group as a topic and for some reason people didn't reply on the topic, they sent me messages  :-[    One person had a BAHA, and didn't like it, but got the new TransEar in October and said she LOVES it.   Ohhh decisions  ;)

Also as to BAHA surgery, thoughts to this:    my neurotologist is 3 1/2 hrs. away that I've discussed the BAHA stuff with in great length.   Cochlear America sent me some information and found out there is a doctor only 50 minutes from my house (AND comes to my town of Ludington a few times a month) that is JUST wanting to start doing BAHA because there is no one even close in the mid to northern part of Michigan doing it.    WOW, the fact of how close and they travel here is soooo tempting.   Plus I had the rep from Cochlear tell me the surgery is a fairly simple surgery, etc.   The audiologist from the Dr. office said they would work a deal too depending on possible insurance coverage....    This doctor does LOTS of ENT surgeries for people in my area and has a great reputation.    Ugh, now the decision stuff again  ;)

THANKS for ANY input all together.  I am hoping this will also be a help for others, or even a topic for the future people in this position!!

Denise  ;D
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Sefra22

Re: BAHA BP100 or TransEar 380-HF (newest versions)????
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:31 am »
Hi Denise,
I've had my BP100 since September. Honestly, it took a while, but I am very happy with it now.

The BP100 is programmed to your individual needs, so not only is it important to have an experienced Neurotologist, but also and good audiologist, as he/she will be the one you programming it for you.

I had to return to mine every few weeks due to issues I was having with feedback, so having one nearby was great.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:42:21 pm »
Denise,
My ENT has done many many cochlear implants but I was his second Baha inplant...Now he is up to five Baha implants...From my understanding, the surgeries as similar.
the surgery itself is a piece of cake, as noted by many...
My opinion of the transear is I dont like anything in my ear so that option was out as well as its not currently available in Canada.
Im sure I'll be making several trips to the audiologist for adjustments and I'm about 1.5 hrs away but oh so worth it...
JO
PS, I think you contacted me via f/b...lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:44:22 pm by tenai98 »
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:05:59 pm »
JO, yep Joann  :)    You can tell I'm all over doing my research, hey?    Thanks for noting that, now I won't reply to my FB message.   THANKS for replying to both though!

Hmmm, you were the 2nd BAHA implant for your Dr., interesting.   The more I've read about follow up appoinments makes me think closer Dr./audiologist would be nice.   I am going to at least call and set up an appt. with the one who is new to it, BUT comes to my town for office appointments.   I'll see if I get a good feeling with them.  He did an ear surgery for my dad last summer and was very nice when my dad told him of my situation (he told my dad for an AN tumor I was in the best place in Michigan for that surgery....MEI).
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »
.... still waiting here in Canada for the Transear. Am I sounding like a broken record yet? Transear PLEASE get it together and help us Canadians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (saying that as lovingly as I can) hehe
Michelle  >:(  :'(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:12:28 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:07:11 pm »
BAHA implant surgery is a very simple surgery.  It's outpatient and typically takes about 90 minutes or so.  You can typically have the surgery with general or local anesthesia.  I chose local, which really cuts down on the post op recovery time since you don't have to "come out" of the anesthesia.  My recovery time consisted of a few cookies, a cup of juice, a trip to the bathroom and then they let me walk out of the hospital.

Having local anesthesia also cuts down on the expense since you don't have to pay someone to put you under - your doctor gives you the local and you basically only pay for the "drugs" since he's already charging you for his time.  I was a little nervous about only having local anesthesia, but my doc's office told me that 90% of his patients choose local.  At the time of my implant he'd done over 250 BAHAs, so I was fairly certain I wouldn't be an exception to the local anesthesia "rule" and I wasn't. 

Follow up visits aren't that frequent.  I had an appt. 1 week after my surgery to have my plastic cap and sponge bandaid removed.  After that I think I had a 30 day appt. where my doc checked my site to make sure it was healing okay and then he let me schedule my BAHA Gotcha Day (60 days after that).

Most patients don't get infections from BAHA surgery - although they do happen - so the followup generally isn't excessive.

As I mentioned previously, at the time of my BAHA surgery, my doc had done over 250 implants.  He'd only had one patient who decided the BAHA wasn't for her post op, which to me is a great indication that most who get the BAHA are glad they did.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:39:49 am »
Hi Denise,

In my recent post (Baha "event") I mentioned upcoming Cochlear Americas meetings in diff parts of the US that will focus on their Baha.  As I recall, several of these meetings will be in Michigan.  Check out this website, and click on "Register Now" to see a calendar of the places these events will be held. 

http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?eventid=787392

Take care .... Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 11:17:04 am »
Thanks Greg, you know I DID see your post and meant to reply on how nice it was of you to post that info.

The big meeting is tommorow almost 4 hours from my house and they are under snow warnings.   I won't drive that far yet and no one available to take me :-(    It really stinks too because it is right by Michigan Ear Institute, so familiar with the area a bit.

I will have to check for the other MI date.   

THANKS again so much!!!!!!
Denise

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 12:13:26 pm »
Denise -

if you can make it to one of the events Greg mentions, you should.

From what I've heard about them (no pun intended  ;) ) they are great.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 08:30:03 pm »
Just so others know too, you can go to the websites and email for as much information as you can get.   I've gotten great responses from both companies, plus brochures in the mail.  Today I got a Fedex package from Cochlear America that had a CD in it plus the newest information.  It also had a phone number and some info. about how to get insurance to help possibly pay for it.    ;)

BAHA is through www.cochlearamericas.com

TransEar is through www.transear.com

Here ALSO happens to be the website for the Soundbite that is put on teeth with a processor behind the ear.   Not available until later this year, but info and contact stuff if anyone is interested.    www.sonitusmedical.com

Cynaburst

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 11:07:54 pm »
I have one of the new HF Transears.  I have been pretty happy with it.  I have had a Transear for a couple of years, and just paid to have mine upgraded when it broke the last time.  That is my one complaint...they tend to break ALOT.  At least mine did.  They say that they have it figured out now and that it shouldn't break.  We will see.  I was not a candidate for a BAHA as I have a serious heart issue and the risk of infection is just too high for me with an implant.

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:31 pm »
Dear Denise,
Thought you might be interested in this thread on people considering TransEar:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12076.0

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »
THANKS for that link too Mei Mei.   (see you got your signature info. on......good job)  ;)

Thanks to everyone who has written on here.    I have to say I am leaning right now towards the BAHA mainly because I sometimes have a pain in my ear some and think something like Transear might not be so comfy.   Also only found 1 place within hours of driving and they have only done 3 in 3 years.   hmmmm

Waiting to see if I get any insurance approval for BAHA before anything right now.

Mei Mei

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:23:15 am »
Thanks for the compliment about my signature.  I still can't get my picture up but will someday.  They are on Facebook but somehow can't manage ANAUSA.

I am really frustrated and torn about all the options for bone conduction.  My doctor is highly qualified for BAHA and is very convenient so I don't have the driving problem you do at Johns Hopkins.   But then I read Nicky's post on TransEar and Eye glasses under hearing issues the other day  and also the Sonnitus Postings and technology to come for next year and thinking why not wait another 6 months to a year;  what's the hurry?  Sonnitus just applied for the FDA approval.  Could I get used to this thing in my mouth?   If not, then the Trans Ear, but then you say, its not so comfy, but others on the site say they like it.  I'm so torn and am not sure about another surgery having just come out of one.  I know this is a small one, but still I've got a lot of thinking to do, so I surf these threads every day for what people have share.

Take care,

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh