Author Topic: You Mr. Tumor... are dead.  (Read 3932 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
You Mr. Tumor... are dead.
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »
I had a follow up appointment yesterday with my Neuro (Dr. Pieper) which showed no growth in my residual tumor and only, what he suspects to be "tiny bits of scar tissue"

This would be, let's see, 6 years since my first microsurgery (10/7/04), 4 years since my second surgery (2/1/06) and 3 years since my Gamma Knife (7/10/07) ... What started out as a "golf ball sized" AN has now been reduced to "tiny bits of scar tissue."

It's only now, roughly 6 years after being diagnosed, that I am truely feeling like I may be able to move on a bit. Sure I have my follow up appointments and it's always in the back of my head (no pun intended), but this once mentally, emotionally and physically debilitating tumor in my head has been been picked apart, pulled out, cut, zapped with lasers, you name it, and that uncomfortable feeling of having something alive in my head is finally passing by. I don't want to tempt any fate, but I finally feel like that SOB of a tumor is dead. Dead to me anyway.

It feels good.

For anyone currently dealing with it ... Take it from a guy who's run the full gammet of the AN experience, hang in there ... It gets better   :)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: You Mr. Tumor... are dead.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:48:45 pm »
Pleased for you Scot

You have certainly been put through the mill over the years so good news is always welcome.

cheers

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:56:11 pm »
Scottie ~

Thanks for your very practical and encouraging update.  I agree with your conclusion that 'Mr. Tumor' is, finally, deceased.  After almost 6 years, 2 surgeries and GK, it's O.K. to celebrate a bit, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
RIP Mr. Tumor.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »
Scott,

These are wonderful news! You have been through so much with this tumor. What a good feeling to have it really over with it! I hope the tumor stays dead forever.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

sues1953

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »
Scott

I don't know if you know who I am but I have ask you lots of questions about MEI.  I have not had surgery yet but will probably end up there.  I just want you to know that I appreciate all that you have been through and am so happy that you are on the up side of all of this.  I really loved the title of your thread  ;D

Good Luck and Happy Life!

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:54:45 pm »
Fantastic!  I love the good news on here today!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »
Yay, Scottie!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

A good tumor is a dead tumor. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:11 pm »
Couldn't have asked for better news!  Congrats, Scottie  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:19:16 am »
Scottie - wonderful news indeed!  I was so happy to read your post - you have certainly been through way more than most of us, and still manage to smile.  Here's hoping you have a lifetime of clean MRI's!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:16 am »
Good on you Scott...that's a long time to be consumed by worry...glad you're finally in a comfortable place with your AN. While I've tossed my AN in that imaginary hole in the ground, I haven't invested in a headstone yet...the rotund one hasn't sung yet but I'm always optimistic the music is about to start!

Best wishes and take care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

joebloggs

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »
Scott you're a rocker!

You kicked Mr. Tumour's A*$e!!!!  Yeah!

Whoop whoop!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!