Author Topic: Allergies, Dizziness, and Wonky Head?  (Read 22518 times)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Allergies, Dizziness, and Wonky Head?
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:15:10 pm »
I’ve noticed that my since my allergies have been acting up the past week or two, my wonky-headedness and dizziness have actually gotten worse.  I’m even feeling foggier and more scatterbrained again.   So frustrating!  I feel like I was really getting better and making progress and I hate taking a step back.   I’m sure this is temporary…right?  Anyone else notice some symptoms tied to allergies?
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Allergies, Dizziness, and Wonky Head?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:11 pm »
Woooo...now that you mention it, I've been feeling the same way!!  Last week was the worst week i've had yet.  I guess it'll diminish once I either die, or the green stuff go away! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:51:14 am »
How odd, I just posted to someone elses post about this.    My neurotologist told me that weather can play a big factor on things and in MI we had been going through the lovely season changes.   He also mentioned the barometric pressure changes.   (OF course I asked about this stuff after someone else mentioned it, he didn't just offer it!!)

I posted something on my blog about, can't remember.   But between what he told me and what my husband & I figured out too is that the weather changes, here in MI for sure, can play a big role on allergies, sinus issues, and pressure.    If any of that flares up, it puts pressure in your head areas.   Then a lot of it can put pressure on those nerves that (like us) have more recently had 'messed around with'.           My hubby mentioned it like when some people get fluid in their ears they get the dizziness, etc.  It's like the pressure.     

The other one I just posted on I didn't like to hear.   She is 1 Year post op and is having some issues pop up.    I was truly hoping I would never notice anything different after 1 year  ;)

So, does this make sense overall to you guys??

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:07:40 pm »
I definately have affects caused by weather changes and allergies. When things are clear and normal I don`t notice much other than tinnitus which is part of me after all these years.  Makes sense, Mickey

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:34:01 pm »
Just as an update, my ENT put me on Nasonex.  He said it won't work overnight, but once it does kick in, it should give me some relief from the pressure that has been building in my head.  I'll let you know!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:09 pm »
Hey Lyn, be sure to keep us updated!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:09:43 am »
Lyn,
Yep I still get that "foggy brain" syndrome. Drive me crazy, I have to focus really hard on what I'm doing, and then of course get more emotionally fatigued.
The fun never ends ::)
But there are also good days. Can't quite figure it out either.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

wcrimi

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 09:06:36 pm »
I've also found that there seems to be a correlation between hot humid weather, allergies, and my wonky headedness/balance.   

Early this week I felt like I hit a new peak, but the last couple of days have clearly been a couple of steps backward as the weather got hotter and my allergies acted up. 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

mandy721

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:10:05 am »
Even without having had an AN, I get the wonkyheaded sensation when my allergies are at their worst.  Luckily, Ken doesn't have seasonal allergies, so this hasn't been a problem for him.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

JimmyD

• Don't sweat the small stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:30:40 am »
Clariton D,nasal spray,Meclizine...still there.I think being the hottest summer on record isn't helping.
Glioma Tumor left optic nerve 1960,RS AN 2.2CM FSR 5 treatments @JHH by Dr Williams in 1999 & LS AN 2.6CM 30 treatments 2007 by Dr Brian Chon@Centra State,NJ.Blind in L.eye,deaf in R.ear.Test for NF2 came back negative.Doing OK.

Brewers7

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:02 pm »
With temperatures over 100 the past two weeks, I have had problems with balance and scatterbrain.  I am blaming the weather.  Sometimes Zyrtec helps.  Walgreens has a generic.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

ksiwek

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 03:18:44 pm »
I am so glad to hear that the way I have been feeling this week may be correlated to the CRAZY hot humid weather that Chicagoland has had lately.  Well, glad isn't the word, but happy to not be alone!  However, I do think that AN surgery did a number on my sinuses...of course I am not very far post-op and they are still sorting themselves out...

I have tried to get my exercise in early in the morning before the humidity really gets high and have been staying indoors in general.  I took 25 milligrams of dramamine today and my head feels a little better...whether it worked or was a placebo I don't care :) 

Lyn keep us posted on how the new meds worked....would love to find something to reduce my heavy head feeling!

Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Kansas

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 04:20:35 pm »
I don't know what a wonky head is, my fogginess. forgetfulness  and being scatterbrained have been diagnosed as caused by imbalance.  I don't think my allergies have anything to do with it.  --Newbie

I’ve noticed that my since my allergies have been acting up the past week or two, my wonky-headedness and dizziness have actually gotten worse.  I’m even feeling foggier and more scatterbrained again.   So frustrating!  I feel like I was really getting better and making progress and I hate taking a step back.   I’m sure this is temporary…right?  Anyone else notice some symptoms tied to allergies?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13:30 pm »
See my reply on the thread "Does anyone NOT have wonky head????"

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011