Author Topic: After Hospitalization - Can Stay Alone?  (Read 5974 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: After Hospitalization - Can Stay Alone?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 12:17:06 pm »
Be sure to have someone help you keep track of when you are taking your pain medication when at home right after surgery.  Make sure that you write it down.

I didn't take pain meds post op, but this is an excellent point.  I was very fatigued and foggy-headed after my surgery, and can see where a medicine "mistake" could take place.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 02:27:20 pm »
WOW... I forgot all about this !  I kept a log for my Tylenol extra strength b/c I was taking it round the clock.  When I looked back once,  I saw I had written April instead of June a couple of times - geuss it was post-op confusion !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 02:28:05 pm »
I'm glad I didn't have to stay alone, but after reading these responses I realized that the help I so appreciated wasn't really for "me", it was for everything else that needed doing.  My mom came for 2 weeks, and then my sister for a week after that.  They looked after the kids and the house.  The biggest thing they did for me that I absolutely could not have done myself is prepare my meals.  If you were staying at your cousins and had meals at the ready, you *could* be OK.  I'd hate for you to plan in that way and then not be as 'capable' as you had hoped.  You might be great and exceed your expectations, but I'd hate to plan for that and not have anyone around if it didn't work out that way.

My 'help' wasn't anything to do with me at all. No help with walking, getting out of bed, washroom trips or anything.  They ran the house though and I just 'showed up' when it was meal time, and left without cleaning up.  LOVED that, and frankly-NEEDED that too.

Good luck.  It's so hard to say how you will be/feel.  I wish you luck though.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!