Author Topic: Resting at home  (Read 6706 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Resting at home
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 05:37:46 pm »
Moe, they had me donate two units prior to my surgery in case i needed. that probably helped me quite a bit.

I got a voice today. Unfortunately, I can't use it for a week. I can swallow though. I can drink. Cool liquid diet tonight,.....food tomorrow.

Things are going well. And tonight I celebrate my on Zach, who turned 19 yesterday, and spent the day doing hospital duty for me. It was a longer day that expected, but he never complained (at least not to me.)

In other news  today, I can close my eyes. This is actually big news...while I cannot independently close my left eye, I can close both together which I really had not been able to do.

Big day. Plus my sutures are out of my head, which is is also big.
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

moe

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 08:40:57 pm »
Tod,
Good news about the eye closure! And good thing you donated your own blood.

Never mentioned or recommended with my surgery. Most tumors are not vascular, but mine was. Go figure.

Enjoy your birthday with your son Zach. I'm sure you are both realizing that every day counts. Make it special. Good luck with food tomorrow. :)
Baby steps continue. ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 09:43:55 am »
Dear Tod,
I just found you on the Posties this morning.   Congratulations on your homecoming and all that you've been through.   Take it easy though and don't tire yourself out pushing up and down the stairs.   Sounds like you like taking the trips around the Cul de Sac.   You've taken long strides since Feb 12th.   Keep it up!   Life is good.  You've got a great story to tell!
Take care,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

LisaP

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 05:22:58 pm »
Hi Tod,

It's now March 22nd how are you coming along?

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Tod

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 11:32:32 am »
Hi Lisa, thanks for asking.

Actually, the last few days have been kind of sucky. Nothing major, just frustration at the lack of progress and headaches (probably from too much time at the computer) because of my vision. Physically, I am progressing pretty well. Saturday I walked a full two miles in the neighborhood. I am still using a cane when out of the house because of my balance, but i need it less.

I am also experiencing some pain/discomfort again in my hips and other places as healing continues. Save for the two spots on the back of my head where I think they clamped me down, all my wounds have healed pretty well, most of them completely. I have a few marks and blemishes from bed sores or tape, but I wear those, and and my scars proudly.

Really, the vision is the worst of it. My neurosurgeon called me last Thursday night about it and is of the opinion it is bruising on the nerve and swelling and so not to do anything until I see him May 10. Unfortunately, I had a some days of intense discomfort feeling like there was something on my eye. I went to my PCP and he could find nothing. On Saturday I went to the doc-in-the-box, and he found nothing after a pretty thorough exam. Turns out he recognized me from MCV, he's on the rehab team there and had evaluated me twice - both times feeling I was too strong and growing stronger too quickly to justify rehab services. Even though some of the other docs didn't fully agree, he feels pretty well justified at this point. Anyhow, he thinks it may well be phantom pain on the nerve I am experiencing and there is not much that can be done other than to take good care of my eye and not wait to go see a doc if I think there is something wrong.

After reading the Eye Care forum Saturday afternoon, I asked my wife to pick up some drops without preservatives, and 48 hours later, there seems to be some improvement. The burning is certainly lessened. I have set up an appointment with neuro-ophthalmologist for evaluation and just to ensure I am doing the right things with my eye care.

My voice is improved, but still week. I have my first speech therapy visit on Friday and a follow-up Monday with the ENT that did the vocal cord injections. I can swallow liquids well enough, but certain foods, primarily because of the incredibly dry mouth, remain out of reach, and swallowing still requires focus. My jaw is so stiff and weak that eating takes a very long time with most foods. Which is good...it is forcing me to change my eating habits. It is a shame thought that that I can taste so very little.B But shucks, I can't complain too much...I've lost 30 lbs since surgery and I think can lose still more without  slowing my recovery.

Most days I do pretty darn well. I just did my mile walk for the day (it is an easy day). I cooked for myself this morning, and I get by without too much help or interference each day.  I do get concerned, maybe scared, about my progress, because I just don't know how long this will take to find a new normal. To top it off, I really don't want to complain, vent or whine since an awful lot of people went to serious efforts to give me a new shot at life....it would seem very rude to gripe about having to do my part.

Today is a good day to live. No matter how it goes, I would hate to miss it. ;-)

Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

epc1970

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:07 pm »
Tod
Recovery from AN surgery is not easy-there will be good days and then not so good days. It takes time for things to heal. Given what you have been thru,it sounds like you are doing pretty darn good to me! A neuro-ophthalmologist visit is a good call-I went to one post surgery and found him to be extremely knowledgeable about ANs-which in Maine where I live is very unusual! If nothing else, it will reassure you that indeed it will just take time for your vision to get back to normal. You have an admirable attitude Tod but it's ok to get down every once in a while(you would not be human if you didn't!). Try not to worry about the baby steps in progress- you need to think in terms of months instead of days and weeks. Keep us posted on how you are doing Tod-I know we are all here cheering you on!
Erin

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 04:11:06 pm »
Tod I just found your post today - sorry for coming in late. I suffer fatigue and after teaching a full day of kindergarten students I hit the hay pretty early.
I wish you well. I wish you a speedy recovery. I felt happy when I read your last post. When I feel like complaining I am going to think of what you said. Life is good!

One thing I did want to say that if you feel like there is something in your eye or it stings it is too dry. it is so important to protect your cornea. Laci-lube (preservative free) is a good thing to put in your eye as required. It makes your vision a bit blurry but I could still cope. As my nerve recovered I could use something less thick Refresh Celluvisc individual vials. Twist off the lid and then pop it back on again. I can get three drops out of one vial. It has been almost 2 years and I use one drop an hour (hey not complaining).
Are you taping your eye at night? There are many tips for eye care. I used swimming goggles in the shower (putting the strap way down low on my neck). Lots of neat tricks, ask many can help. don't reinvent the wheel. Take good care of the eye. My ophthalmologist explained that if you scratch your cornea it is like a scratch on a window and will be permanent.
Good luck and know that we are here for you.

Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Tod

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 06:28:25 pm »
Erin and Michelle, thanks. I have a hard time believing it is just too dry. I have been using a lot of drops trying to keep it lubricated. Even with the gels it can be like this. I will give the Lacri-Lube try and see if that helps.

Tonight I stepped back into life to do an Eagle Board of Review for one of my favorite scouts, so even though it tired me out a bit, it sure feels good to be a part of these things again.

Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

ombrerose4

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 06:46:33 pm »
Hi Tod, Congratulations on your successful surgery! I find your positive attitude stimulating, especially after the ordeal you went through. Just remember to listen to your body, give it rest when it tells you and keep going with the walking. As for finding "normal" post op, I'm not sure there is such a thing, it's just a different normal which unfortunately I have not yet embraced. Still hoping for better! A suggestion for your eye- ask the eye doc about puncteal plugs. They are very tiny, do not hurt going in or when taken out, and 20 minutes after I got mine in I had amazing relief. The drops didn't help enough but the plugs were terrific. I recently had the lower one removed because my eye was too wet :). I now have just the top plug, no drops and eye feels good. Wishing you a smooth recovery :) :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010