Author Topic: Four weeks post op!  (Read 4419 times)

Lynn Mc

Four weeks post op!
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:35:00 am »
Whoppee!!!  I am doing super.  Saw Dr McKenna (neuro-otology) yesterday and all was GREAT!  I see the Neurosurgeon next week.  No headaches, No neckpain, No facial weakness.  I am driving, working very part time, grocery shopping (YUCK) and trying to walk ALOT.  My only issues are mostly my balance and fatigue.  I am so tired by afternoon that I can't stand it (I am not use to sitting around) and have to rest.  My balance issues are minimal.  I think the nerve on my left side had already started taking over.  I CAN'T walk if it is dark-I have no idea where my body is, I have to be real careful.  The Wonkey head sometimes really gets me, especially in the grocery store.  How do you explain Wonkey Head to those that don't know??
I am very blessed and "Life IS Good"!  .
Thanks for all the support.

Happy Trails,
Lynn
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:37:39 am by Lynn Mc »
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

moe

Re: Foue weeks post op!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:13:57 am »
Lynn,
 WOW! Life IS Good!
Congratulations on flying through the surgery and getting on with the "new you" so quickly.
Remember, frequent rests and  taking it easy, but you are doing incredible. :) :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Foue weeks post op!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:33:15 am »
Lynn .....

So glad to hear you are doing so well!  Keep it up, but remember to listen to your body and take those power naps when you need them.

Re:  explaining the wonky head to those that do not know ...... isn't going to happen!?!  Those of us on here who have it can well identify with that swimmy feeling.  Right after my surgery, the worst place for me was the grocery store ..... something about the high shelves of brightly colored items and the vanishing point perspective.  It still bothers me if I look straight down an aisle.  I have learned to focus on a specific shelf and hang on to a cart when walking down an aisle.

Congrats on no headaches or facial issues ..... the two biggies.  The wonky head will get better.

Sending good thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Four weeks post op!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:05 pm »
Hi, Lynn ~

I love to read these kinds of recovery accounts!  I'm pleased to learn how well you're doing only 4 weeks post op and I trust your recovery will continue at this swift and welcome pace.  Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stevecms

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:02 pm »
nice 1 lynn.what is it about supermarkets they have the same effect on me.i think its the price of the stuff in there lol.keep healing :)
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

ken_robertson

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:39:50 pm »
Lynn, I'm three weeks post-op and I was surprised when I went to the supermarket for the first time.  I didn't have the wonkey head feeling at home, when I started walking around the isles, I really had to hang on to the cart.  I hope the feeling improves as I start to get out more often.
Right 1.5cm AN diagnosed 8/2009.  Translab  2/1/10 by Dr. Bojrab and Dr. Pieper at Providence Hospital, Novi, MI.  SSD, no facial paralysis, tumor gone.  Feeling great!

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:16:59 pm »
I hope the feeling improves as I start to get out more often.

It's bound to, Ken.

Lynn, nice to hear such a good report for 4 weeks out. Wonky head is a secret known only to those with ANs or similar ailments. Don't even try to explain it to anyone else.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sues1953

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:06 am »
Hi Lynn,

Thank you so much for posting.  It is always great to hear good news  ;D, it really helps those of us who have not had surgery yet.

It's so funny that you mention "Wonky".  My husband and I were in the Grocery Store and I had to get a cart even though we were picking up just a couple of things.  He ask why and I used that word to describe the feeling in my head.  I must have read it previously on this sight, it was the perfect word  ;D.  No my husband didn't get it  ???.

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:22:35 am »
Hi everyone from sunny & cool Florida,

Flew down here Wednesday for work and REST.  The flying part was easy!  We had a lot of snow Wednesday AM in Western MA so the car ride was BAD!  Glad I am not there.  We have had all the snow we need and more is coming.
Flying was fine!  Chewed gum taking off & landing.  No concerns.  The carpets got me in the airport.  WONKY HEAD for sure!  The funniest things get me, never know when.

Thinking of you all especially those in the snow belt!  I will enjoy this really nice weather.  The Floridians are freezing as they call this cold, 50's - 60's.

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

painter

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:56:22 am »
Lynn,
Congratulations! You are really on the fast track to recovery. After my surgery (Dec 1) I was the same way. In fact I was Christmas shopping six days later.  Then I got a CFS leak and had to have a second surgery.  Recovery now is a different story.  I still don't drive due to the wonky head. It fluctuates throughout the day, but is always worse when I'm tired.  Certain background noises make it increase as well.  Luckily I can work since I work at home. But going out and riding in a car are not my favorite things.  I'm trusting things will get better, mainly due to the postings I read here.  Thanks to everybody!
Tom

ombrerose4

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:53:07 pm »
Wow, it sounds like you are having an amazing recovery. I am happy for you. Just remember that when your body says it needs rest, it means it! And by the way I am 5 mos postop. and I still get wonkyheaded in supermarkets-too many lights, too many colors, too much everything, lol :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

CoachDJ

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:57 pm »
Congrats LynnMc!
I am @ 5 weeks post op and also doing well.  Did you have any bouncy vision?  I have started working out (walking, some running, lifting weights) and sometimes I get that bouncy vision that kind of makes me dizzy.  Anybody familiar with this?

Lynn Mc

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:51:41 pm »
HI Coach,

I do get bouncy vision and it really makes me more unbalanced than I am.  I can't run yet.  Only fast walking on the tradmill.  The ground is so bad here that I am unable to walk outside - too icy & too much snow. We really need spring in Western Massachusetts!!!  Maybe by July.   I am trying to work through it.     Hopefully soon,  as I want to get back to agility with my dog.  I am lifting a little.  More as time goes by. 
I am trying to manage my recovery, my husband - he is disabled & my Dad (87) with Alzheimer's*@#*@.  The dogs are easy & I had to hire a girl to take care of the horses.  I did spend a week in Florida - wow it was wonderful.  I walked about 2 miles each day!!! No worries!!  My son-in-law watched everyone at my home so I could go.   Now I am pretty much on my own (still have my girl in the barn part time).  I am also back to work part time.  Sometimes I do get a real Wonkey head & bouncy vision.  Really hard to explain.  BUT Life is REALLY Good!

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"