Author Topic: Shelby Dressel is an 18-year-old singer with facial palsy  (Read 6470 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Shelby Dressel is an 18-year-old singer with facial palsy
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:01:31 pm »
Shelby Dressel is an 18-year-old singer with facial palsy from Avon Park Florida
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iADdvwekPC0
She was on American Idol  (heard about this through “the teenagers”)

(Personally I am NOT big about that show as I could never been in the same room with the “infamous insensitive Simon” bloke  >:(  ... Anyway- that is not why I posted here but because I think my fellow ANA buddies, specifically with facial issues, should see this brave talented young woman as she is an inspiration and example of my “keep moving forward” philosophy on life)

She did not make the finalist list but ELLEN (new judge on the show) really liked her and has asked her to appear on the ELLEN show ... and this made news on other channel and networks.
Ellen with Shelby
http://ellen.warnerbros.com/videos/?autoplay=true&mediaKey=e62de4ae-dd79-4ae2-be91-e2959c339d08

This kid has gumption... she has a lot of guts. SO refreshing to see this! Truthfully I don’t normally watch TV (or Ellen) but will when she has Shelby as a guest star... now that she has been brought to my attention  (Ok Ok so it is well known I am a book worm who does not watch TV)... I plan to watch it.

This girl, if she does go more in the public eye, could change many prejudicial views about facial asymmetry and facial palsy. (Her mom must be sooh proud of her! I know I am.)

What an inspiration she is for young people with facial palsy issues!

Shelby’s website
http://shelbydressel.com/default.htm

Anyway... just wanted to share something I heard about ...from my teenagers.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jackie

Re: Shelby Dressel is an 18-year-old singer with facial palsy
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:12:08 am »
I have been a fan of American Idol from the beginning because I truly appreciate great singing voices and there have been many inspirational people on that show! Shelby was a favorite of ours and really did a superb job! I wish she had made the top 24, but unfortunately she was cut. There really is some amazing talent that comes from that show! You don't necessarily have to win to be a true winner, and I think Shelby epitomizes a true winner! Thanks "4" for bringing this to the forum! I do alot of reading also but need my AI fix! Teehee!
Jackie from Beaverton
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:34:33 am »
someone sent me this link last week from the facial palsy site, she is a lovely looking girl and great singer
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:53:46 am »
What a brave girl! My family and I were cheering her on!
She had a lovely voice and it would have been nice to see her go father. I will be watching her on Ellen as well.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:47 pm »
Good for Shelby! She's a cutie. I wonder about her history, if she has ever looked into T3 etc.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lholl36233

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:48:10 pm »
I remember Shelby saying in her audition when she was born, her 7th cranial nerve wasn't fully developed.  She is an inspiration.  She will do great with or without American Idol.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Kaybee

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:07:53 am »
I don't watch this show but wish I had to see her perform.  Thanks for sharing the clip!  Very inspiring.
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:14:32 am »
What an amazing young woman...God bless her.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:35 pm »
Here is the follow up post (new thread) with link to the video interview with Shelby  on ELLEN.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11942.0

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:23:58 pm »
I am in awe of her....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08