Author Topic: Advice needed..  (Read 6461 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Advice needed..
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 10:57:37 am »
The neurotologist at Univ of Iowa also does mid fossa.  Dr Bruce Gantz.       I have had it on both sides due to my NF2 and am not sure why he did the first time as had poor hearing but was even worse hearing this last time and brought some hearing back.
I know some of the other Iowa alums here have had mid fossa.           There is always no guarantees with this!
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sues1953

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 11:03:13 am »
Hi.

No regrets you can't go back!!! Postpone the surgery.  Even the smallest change for saving hearing has to be investigated.  You will always wonder if you could have saved your hearing!!!

You are in my prayers

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 03:58:04 pm »
Thank you everybody for your advice and support! I still have not made a decision and I am quite litteraly going out of my mind right now but it helps to know that you guys and gals are here no matter what and actually understand what I'm going through, moreso than my friends and family ever could.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:54 pm »
Dr. Kazan did my surgery along with Dr. Battista, and I know him well.  I also met Drs. Wiet and Friedman @ the ANA Symposium, just like Steve and Phyl.

And I couldn't agree with them more - they are all great doctors.

IMO you definitely need to speak to Dr. Wiet personally to get his "take" on this whole thing, but I'm with Phyl.  You need to go with whatever your gut tells you, keeping in mind that there are no guarantees.

You don't want to second guess yourself; especially if you encounter some things post op that you didn't anticipate.  You want no regrets.

I'm one who chose retrosigmoid in the hopes of saving what was left of my hearing and it didn't pan out.  I knew going into surgery that my docs were going to "try" to save it, but I also knew I could very well lose it.  I took a gamble and I lost - but I'll never regret this gamble because I was fully informed and made the choice myself.

Good luck; you're got a tough decision ahead of you.  We'll support you in whatever direction you ultimately decide to go.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »
As I'm sitting here a McDonalds sponging some free wi-fi I figured I'd give a quick update. I have spoken with both Dr Friedman and Dr Wiet about thier opinions and both are sticking pretty close to thier original diagnosis. As such I decided to get a third opinion, a tiebreaker if you will so I sent all my info to Dr. Gantz at University of Iowa to see what they had to say. Well as it turns out Dr Gantz came to the same conclusion as Dr Friedman with regard to the possibility of hearing preservation and that Mid-Fossa would be my best option. I have pretty much decided to cancel my Translab procedure scheduled for this wednesday and am now trying to decide between Dr's Friedman or Gantz to perform my Mid-Fossa. I like that Gantz is closer but it's hard to argue against HEI's experience and expertise.. I just don't relish the idea of recouperating in a hotel room for 5 days.. Still a lot of decisions to make but getting closer.

Thank you again for all your advice and support!
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

sues1953

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 03:47:06 pm »
Congratulations on decision #1 (again) and good luck with decision #2.  For what its worth I agree with what your doing.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 03:59:55 pm »
Kevin ~

Congratulations!  Deciding on  a method of treatment as well as a doctor and facility are all crucial but always difficult decisions for every AN patient.  I'm pleased that, although these important  decisions are somewhat agonizing, you're making progress and choosing what's right for you.  This is always paramount because, as hard as the decision-making process can be, once made, you'll feel totally confident about the type of treatment (MF), the doctor and facility, which really does make the surgery experience quite a bit easier.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 07:01:59 pm »
Kevin -

while I'm sorry to hear you've cancelled your upcoming surgery, I'm glad you've gotten the answers you've been seeking and are doing what you feel is best for you.  That's what AN treatment decision is all about.

I know that Cheryl R has nothing but great things to say about Dr. Gantz, so whether you have your surgery with him or with Dr. Friedman, you'll be in good hands.

I hope the mid-fossa approach gives you the outcome you're looking for.  While I love my BAHA, given a choice between SSD and "normal" hearing, I'd choose "normal" any time.

Good luck.

Keep us posted!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:21 am »
I like that Gantz is closer but it's hard to argue against HEI's experience and expertise.. I just don't relish the idea of recouperating in a hotel room for 5 days.. Still a lot of decisions to make but getting closer.

While I certainly don't think this should be the determining factor in your decision-making process, I'll mention that House has a "guest facility," Seton Hall, which is just across the street from  House Clinic/House Ear Institute and adjacent (connected by an underground tunnel) to St. Vincent's Hospital (where the surgeries are performed). Patients and their families can stay there before, during, and after their treatment. My husband and I stayed there for a couple of weeks in January 2008 when I had my AN surgery and thought it was quite adequate. I found it very comforting to be so close to the hospital and to House during my recuperation period.

I only have good things to say about my House experience, but I'm sure you've seen on this forum that this is certainly not unique to House patients -- there are great places elsewhere in the country. It very well may be that the other places you're considering have similar lodging opportunities for their patients, so you won't have to be in some random hotel during your recuperation (although lots of people have done just that, and have been pleased with their results as well).

Best wishes as you make all your decisions.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:14:13 am by JerseyGirl2 »
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
Wishing you the best on more decision making (one of the hardest parts)!

The only guarantee with AN surgeries I've ever heard is with Translab it's 100% hearing loss.   Nothing else is guaranteed with anything in accordance to the AN surgeries, but at least with trying Middle Fossa and if you lose the hearing, you can at least say you tried!!!!   ;)

Best Wishes
Denise

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 05:55:25 pm »
Kevin,

The hardest thing in this process is to decide what course of treatment to undergo. You've made that now so stick to it.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Wwoodian

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »
I personally think you're on the right track!  My vote is for Friedman, but my vote doesn't really count! : )
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

Lainie181818

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 09:46:42 pm »
Stephanie and Kevin, it was fantastic meeting you both yesterday. Nancy, David and I are thrilled that you have kept your hearing and no weakness of facial nerve. I am so glad you chose Dr Friedman. Keep up the great recovery.
Lainie.