Author Topic: I want a Baha. NOW!  (Read 20863 times)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: I want a Baha. NOW!
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 11:33:58 am »
Good luck, Denise!  You Rock!
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 03:00:20 pm »
Denise ~

I'm awed by your tenacity and I hope it's amply rewarded with a positive result for your BAHA claim.   Well done!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 03:52:52 pm »
Oh goodness, Denise!!  I really, really hope your appeal works.  That is so frustrating.  It almost sounds like they wrote that provision to specifically dis-include Bahas and Cochlear implants, which seems so unfair. 

I called the other day and my whole file has fallen into a lag somewhere between the office where my Baha test was done and the billing office, so they haven't even sent it to my insurance for approval yet.  I'm hoping they'll get that done soon.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 08:24:54 pm »
Denise - and Lynn -

persistence generally pays off in requests for BAHA coverage.  For some reason, first requests for coverage are often denied, but subsequent requests are usually honored.

I guess insurance companies figure patients will just give up and call it a day.  Apparently they have no clue who they are dealing with  ;D

Stay tough and hang in there,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2010, 07:10:33 am »
Lyn     Mine actually isn't an appeal.   Basically was told flat out NO because of what is in our contract.   The only way I could even get a written denial is if I were to HAVE the surgery, then the charges would come back denied.   I don't want to take that risk....can't afford it AT ALL.

But, I for some reason just thought I would call that OMS # that came in the folder of information and spoke with the lady who did my 'case'.  She said there is usually NO way to get around it "unless" my insurance may be self funded, then I can try through human resources.   What the heck, I took a shot and made a call.    I think the thing that is helping me out so far is that our insurance IS "partially" self funded.   Then, the HR Secretary (whom I never met and lives many states away) has sympathized for my young family since originally hearing of my tumors and surgery for the AN.  When she heard my explanation of the SSD, she sounded like she was in tears and vowed to do whatever she could for me.   So, I refer to her like my little angel....she is my advocate right now.      OF COURSE.....still no guarantee, but I have to try!!!!!

If it fails, there is one doctor more local who wants to start doing BAHA and has done none yet, so I thought 'maybe' he would work something out if I was his guinea pig  :)    (can you tell I really need one.........more like I feel like I need one...........SSD & tinnitus just suck for me & my family so far)

I am crossing my fingers, but in the mean time I found out I have another condition that may take precedence over the BAHA.   Chiari Malformation and something else, but don't see neurosurgeon to know more until the 14th....ugh, more waiting.

thanks,
Denise

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI