Author Topic: I want a Baha. NOW!  (Read 20894 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: I want a Baha. NOW!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 11:17:54 am »
Jan,

I looked at your first link showing the 'normal' placement, and that appears to be right where my 'dent' in my skull is from surgery..  So, would the doctor the abutment higher or further towards the back?  I'm still exploring options and may just talk to my surgeon when I go in for my annual (he's on the list of doctors from Cochlear) so he does the implant surgeries also..

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 12:08:48 pm »
Brian -

my abutment is located in the "dent" in my skull from my AN surgery.  I have a little "hardware" in that general area from the retrosigmoid approach, but it hasn't been an issue.  One of the screws is pretty close to the surface of my skin, but if it ever pops through, my doc will just remove it with a screwdriver.

I don't think it's a concern, but obviously you should get your doctor's take on this.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43:08 pm »
My Baha evaluation was today.  The audiologist tested me with a Divino model (I think that's what it was, although she said I will be getting a BP100 if it all works out).  It was pretty fantastic!  I can't believe how well I could hear, even with my good ear plugged.  At first it sounded a little unnatural, but it was funny how fast I adjusted to the sound/feel of it.  By the end of the hearing test I didn't want to give it back.  She said I am a great candidate for Baha, so now it all comes down to the insurance issue. 

Keep your fingers crossed for me, everyone.  I am very excited about this!  I know the Baha isn't like having my hearing back, but I am really jazzed about the potential to hear sounds from my left side again.  It seems like a miracle to me.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 03:46:43 pm »
Great news, Lyn. I hope it works out for you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »
Also, Sue (vogstar5) wrote recently about how her doctor persuaded her insurance company to pay for her BAHA. If your insurance company denies you, you might get some hints from her.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

ombrerose4

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 03:50:52 pm »
I am so happy your BAHA evaluation went so well. I remember the day I had mine, I was so amazed!. My BAHA GOTCHA date is coming in about six weeks (I was lucky- my insurance covers all of it). I hope your insurance company makes it easy for you. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 04:39:09 pm »
Thank you, both!

Sara, I'm on a student plan with Aetna that specifically list "implants" as covered.  Woe to them if they try to deny me because I can be quite a thorn in the paw.  (I don't mind writing a letters, filing appeals, and/or making dozens of phone calls if it gets me what I want.  I'm a law student, therefore I am well trained in being a pest.)   ;D :D

ombrerose4, I have been following your other post.  I can't wait to hear how your big day goes.  I am very excited for you and I can't wait to hear how your experience goes.  From what I understand, the best case scenario will still leave me with $500 out of pocket (the programming isn't covered), plus my deductible costs, but I am hopeful that the rest will be covered.  It is still far cheaper than any other type of non-covered hearing aid would be.

Thanks again for the supportive comments.  I am really and truly excited after a chance to see what the Baha really sounds like.

Lyn

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 07:35:45 pm »
Lyn -

I'm glad you liked the demo.  I found it pretty miraculous myself  ;D

If you need insurance help, the people @ Cochlear will be more than happy to help you.  Don't hesitate to ask them.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 10:51:32 am »
I went for my Post Op check up yesterday at Hopkins with both my ENT and Neurosurgeon and they gave me an audiogram and let me try the BAHA for half an hour.  It was great.  I could hear a whisper.  They scheduled me for follow up in June.   I'm still wondering about the Sonnitus and wrote to them.  They answered me and said they are only in California till middle of the year and I know the technology is not as good as the BAHA but I am wondering what it would be like to have this metal piece in the back of my ear for the rest of my life.   How would it feel?

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 11:06:21 am »
Sara, I'm on a student plan with Aetna that specifically list "implants" as covered. 

Wow, all kinds? That's a generous policy.

(Yes, I am being facetious.)

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 12:18:16 pm »
I am wondering what it would be like to have this metal piece in the back of my ear for the rest of my life.   How would it feel?

Actually the BAHA abutment isn't in the back of the ear.  It's in the skull behind the ear and you don't really notice it on a day to day basis.  It becomes a part of you - kind of like wearing contact lenses.  They help you see, but you don't really think about them being physically in your eye.

I've had my abutment for 2 years next week and unless I happen to hit it with my comb I generally don't give it a second thought.

A BAHA isn't for everyone, but personally I chose it because I didn't want to wear something in or behind my ear - like a TransEar or a conventional hearing aid.  I can't imagine the Sound Byte because then I'd have something in my mouth as well as behind my ear.  I know that others are very open to this, but it's just not for me.  Likewise I'm sure a piece of titanium implanted into the skull isn't for everyone.  It's a lot like AN treatment.  You need to decide what is best for YOU.

Jan

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 12:55:56 pm »
Sara, I'm on a student plan with Aetna that specifically list "implants" as covered. 

Wow, all kinds? That's a generous policy.

(Yes, I am being facetious.)

Sara

I should not have put that in quotes, it wasn't accurate.  Actually, they cover "Durable Medical Equipment Expense."  Which is what I think this would fall under...maybe?  I think the quoted area below is going to be the catchy area.  They might try to say this is for my convenience and not medically necessary.  Hopefully they won't. . .

In determining if a service or supply is appropriate under the circumstances; Aetna will take into consideration:

Information relating to the affected person's health status;

Reports in peer reviewed medical literature;

Reports and guidelines published by nationally recognized health care organizations that include supporting scientific data;

Generally recognized professional standards of safety and effectiveness in the United States for diagnosis, care, or treatment;

The opinion of health professionals in the generally recognized health specialty involved; and

Any other relevant information brought to Aetna's attention.

In no event will the following services or supplies be considered to be Medically Necessary:

Those that do not require the technical skills of a medical, mental health, or dental professional; or

Those furnished mainly for: the personal comfort, or convenience, of the person, any person who cares for him or her, or any person who is part of his or her family, any health care provider, or health care facility; or

Those furnished solely because the person is an inpatient on any day on which the person's Sickness or Injury could safely and adequately be diagnosed or treated while not confined; or

Those furnished solely because of the setting if the service or supply could safely and adequately be furnished, in a Physician's or a dentist's office, or other less costly setting.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »
I am wondering what it would be like to have this metal piece in the back of my ear for the rest of my life.   How would it feel?

I completely agree with Jan's assessment. I've been calling my BAHA my "third contact lens" for quite some time now. Mind you, this didn't happen overnight -- I thought my head would be permanently numb and that I'd never be able to sleep on the abutment side of my head ever again, but the numbness went away over the course of many months and I now roll over to that side of my head without giving it a second thought.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Mei Mei

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 03:32:38 pm »
Thanks Jan and Catherine,
I really wanted your input.  After the numbness that I'm having from the January surgery and now they are mentioning another surgery for June, I'm just about burned out but will probably do this.  I tried the Intenso and the doctor whispered into my ear and I could actually hear him whispering to me!!!  After the 0% on the audiogram, this was incredible.    Thanks again for your input!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 05:00:24 pm »
my abutment is located in the "dent" in my skull from my AN surgery. 

Jan

Okay, color me confused..  If it's in the 'dent', then what is it attached to?  I have always been under the impression that my 'dent' is a hole in the skull...  Doesn't the implant get drilled into the skull bone?  If the 'dent' is a hole, then to what is the implant attached drilled into?

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager