Author Topic: Wonky taste  (Read 4964 times)

stevecms

Wonky taste
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:50:22 pm »
Hello,6 mths on this taste thing is getting stranger.The metallic taste seems to be there 24/7.must be getting through a bag of mints every day.Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Wonky taste
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:01:38 pm »
I'm three years and five months post op and from time to time I need the mints. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:51:43 pm »
Steve -

metallic mouth is very common post op and can last from several weeks to many months.

Eventually it WILL go away.  In the meantime, try zinc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

foodsmarts

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:53:31 pm »
I developed the funny taste before having CK. Still have it from time to time. Also my ability to perceive saltiness and
acidity changes from day to day. As time goes by, I'm getting used to it, like everything else.
5.4mm X 3.2mm X 3.88 mm at diagnosis 8/28/08; 1.1 cm X .5 cm 6/16/09; CK Stanford Drs. Chang and Soltys 8/19/09

Eli

• The scar is a c-section 4 the 2nd half of my life
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:50:58 pm »
Steve -

metallic mouth is very common post op and can last from several weeks to many months.

Eventually it WILL go away.  In the meantime, try zinc.

Jan

Jan,

Why zinc?

I, too, have odd taste sensations all the time now. It's bothersome because I know how something should taste, but what I'm sensing isn't it. Eating is a bit disappointing these days.

Thanks,
Eli.
Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

Translab - 12/11/09 at UofIA Healthcare
Complete tumor removal. Facial nerve perserved.

Dealing with facial issues and wonkyheadiness now.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:59:15 am »
Eli -

"why zinc" ?  Honestly, I don't know.

Someone recommended it to me when I had metallic mouth and I took it.

The issue finally went away.  However, I really don't know if it was just time for it to leave or if the zinc actually worked.

Since the zinc won't harm you, and it might just help you, I say give it a try.  You've got nothing to lose - but the metallic taste in your mouth.

Good luck,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:21:14 am »
Had to post too because I've always wondered why I've read ZINC.   Curious if any more thoughts or an answer is given.

To me Zinc sounds metallic, kind of odd.  But if it works....AWESOME!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »
FYI, I found this (along with some other things) here:  http://www.answers.com/topic/taste-alteration

"There is no cure or treatment for taste alteration. Patients with this condition are counseled on methods to overcome the affect of taste alteration on eating. However, some studies have shown that zinc supplements, given at the first sign of taste alteration, can reduce radiation-induced taste changes."

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

michelle d.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 01:27:53 pm »
Hi, all you fellow wonkiers...tasting is a very different experience for me now, too...it actually was one of the symptoms before I knew what was wrong,  which moved me to get a second opinion after an ent told me i was just going deaf and needed hearing aides. My tongue and right side of face was tingly/numby. Eating isn't as much fun as it used to be but i guess i'm just getting used to that(good for the waistline)....some doctors told me it may go away, some said not. It sort of goes along with the dryness in my right eye, which I use drops for. My dentist has been so helpful...she gave me a little packet of samples of a product for dry mouth issues called Biotene--there's toothpaste, mouthwash, gum, gel and mints, which do seem to help somewhat. I guess you try different things and find what works best for you...it is annoying though, i agree! :) 
 ~~michelle d.~
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:24:49 pm »
The Biotene products are excellent for those with dry mouth and they can usually be found at most drug stores.

I used them for many months post op.

Thanks for the link on zinc, Pooter. 

Jan

mk

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:51:57 pm »
Hmmm, interesting. It makes sense that zinc would help if there is a zinc deficiency.

However for most of us ANers the altered taste comes from altered sensation, because of trigeminal nerve issues. i.e. the nerve senses things differently, and this is what causes the numbness, burnt tongue sensation/altered taste, dry cornea/dry eye etc. I consider myself a "veteran" of the metallic taste, having endured it now for almost 3 years. I also take zinc lozenges frequently, mainly to help with my sensitive throat (nothing to do with the AN). I can honestly say that zinc does absolutely nothing for the bad taste. I found that avoiding foods that are too salty or too sweet helps. For example the "sweet and salty" granola bars are out of the question for me. Actually avoiding these foods is good for the health too  ;). Other than that, I am just used to it and don't think about it most of the time.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

LisaP

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 06:03:40 pm »
Hi,

I am W&W and have found that my taste buds have changed on my right side, things just don't taste the same unless it is very sweet.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W