Author Topic: Now I'm a member of the club.  (Read 12829 times)

G_Man

Re: Now I'm a member of the club.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:50 pm »
Every time I come to this forum I get such positive vibes from everyone.  I got a bit of good news that I want to share.  Today I had a hearing test.  It's 6 months since my diagnosis.  The results were exactly the same.  It would be great to stay watch and wait!
I think I'm going to get a hearing aide.  I'm going to see the otologist first.  BTW a few months back there was a very good article in consumer reports on hearing aides.  Anyone who is like myself, having little first hand knowledge of the subject and getting one, could be helped by it. 
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 01:18:45 pm »
Glen ~

Thanks for the kind words about the forum folks and of course, congratulations on your stable hearing!  Watch-and-Wait is fine.  Some do it for years....you may be one of them!   

I've been a Consumer Reports fan (magazine and website) for some time.  I agree, knowledge is power!  Good luck with obtaining a hearing aid.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

G_Man

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:18:31 pm »
Got my 6 month checkup last Friday. 
There's good news and there's bad news:
I showed my Otologist my 6 month hearing test  It was the same as the previous one.  I had a few suprises for him as well.  I gave him copies of all my other tests I had since my first visit AND some testing I had done in 2000 and 2001.  A hearing test I had in 2001 was almost exactly the same as the current one.  He agreed with me that this was great news.  This is a good indicator that my situation may be stable.  He and I agreed that it's time for a hearing aide.
Now the bad news:  Since Monday I've been feeling dizzy and nausious.  Some days are worse than others.  Now I'm wondering if this is more psycological or real.  Maybe something else is a miss.  I'm trying to give it another week or so and see what happens.  A month and a half ago I was getting headaches on the left side and tingling.  That was happening for a week and has stopped now.
Life is full of suprises, isn't it.
Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »
Glen ~

Definitely good news about your hearing stabilization.  The dizziness and nauseousness is problematic and may or may not be linked to your AN.  Of course, none of us can tell and your decision to give it a bit of time to subside is sensible (definition: what I would do). Yes, it could be psychosomatic but I wouldn't lean on that explanation if the symptoms persist and/or intensify.

I'll readily agree that life is full of surprises.  I've been around long enough to have experienced quite a few.  Here's hoping yours are not too daunting.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

G_Man

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 03:36:54 pm »
Thanks Jim
We just got to hang in there, day by day.  I just booked a trip to Mexico.  I intend to go in a month from now.  I need it!  Not sure if I'm going to do the zip line in the jungle though  :o
Glen
Watch and Wait.

G_Man

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 08:55:25 pm »
 I'm going to continue in this topic so as not to make too much mess all over the forum. 
It's been a year, so the time has come.  Tomorrow morning I'm having my 1 year MRI since my initial diagnosis.  I haven't been on this board in a while.  I was surprised to see so much activity.  I guess that's a great indicator of a strong community.   ;) 
Anyway, I've be waiting for this to finally get a measure on what kind of growth rate I'm at.  I'm hoping for N.O.N.E.
Anyone who would like to send a few positive vibrations my way, please do. I'll except anything, prayers, wishful thinking, any sort of happy thoughts, Who Ha's ("Sent of a Woman"), rubbing your puppy's belly.  Whatever you think works is fine.
I wish everyone the best.  I haven't been on the forum much lately.  It's hard sometimes as you all know.  The depression is a factor and it has a way of creepin'' in.
I see the doc. in about a week and a half and I'll post the verdict.
Peace!
Glen
Watch and Wait.

opp2

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 09:37:46 pm »
Two thumbs up kid.  ;D
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

suboo73

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 03:39:49 am »
Hi Glen,

I am sending many thoughts and prayers for an uneventful MRI with NO change!

My sister and i are both here in W &W, and understand your anxiousness.

Please continue to send updates - we are here to share and listen.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Vivian B.

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 08:34:36 am »
Hi Glen,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad that you have found us. As you have said you will experience several emotions and ups and downs, but keep in mind that you have time, good options and the condition is treatable. Have lots of patience, research and you will be o.k. This is a great sight to speak to others that are experiencing the same thing. Take care.

Vivian   
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 01:04:01 pm »
Glen ~

As you noted, these forums are always active, making them helpful.  Our members are very dedicated and involved.  The posters necessarily change over time, but not the level of involvement. 

This is probably going to reach you after the fact (your MRI) so, since I don't use totems, I'll simply offer a prayer for a 'no-growth' report and the hope that you can stay positive. 

Jim

G_Man

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 11:38:35 am »
Everyone, thanks for all your positive vibrations.  Well the MRI was postponed.  The machine broke down.  It seems to be a regular occurrence.  Last year they were having problems the day before my test and it was resolved.  So I'll be going on Thursday.  I think I'm taking a sick day for it.  This past Thursday night I didn't sleep much.  I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat again so why am I being unkind to myself.  I haven't taken a sick day in about 4 years.  That's the disadvantage of being able to telecommute.  They expect you to work unless you are in a coma. 
I'll be sure to drop updates when something actually happens.

Watch and Wait.

AIteach

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »
Hi Glen,
 I am a recent member of the club as well.  I just had my 6 month MRI on Monday.  Thankfully, my wait and watch status is secure.  The tumor hasn't grown and remains small.  Like you I get the dizziness and nausea occasionally.  I do wonder sometimes if it's just psychosomatic or stress related or if it really is the tumor causing problems.  My doc just says to keep track of the symptoms and if they're really bothersome let him know and we'll talk.  I've had some balance issues and have taken to doing occasional prat-falls.  (I always give myself a 10)  Again, don't know if it's related or I'm just a klutz. LOL
I'm in Jersey and we do have a support group here.  We meet a few times a year in different locations around the state.  Just an FYI - there is a conference coming up at Summit Medical Group in the fall.  It's located down Route 78 which is a straight shot from the Holland Tunnel.  Probably a 45min. to 1 hour ride.  Check it out at NJANA website.  Lots of people have used the NYC docs. 
I hope you did well today.  I'll keep you in my prayers.  Lauren
diagnosed Feb. 2010
wait and watch
tumor: 6mm
Fall 2018 still W&W 8mm
August 2021 grew to 1.2cm
8/21 Treatment: Fractionated SRS

G_Man

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 09:15:35 pm »
Hey Alteach  Thanks for responding to my post.  I am aware of the NJ group.  I have been to one of the meetings the folks here in NYC hold (Luncheons). Very cool group of folks.  I will try to figure a way to the Jersey event.  I don't drive so it's a bit complicated sometimes.  Hang in there.  Not very long ago I didn't know what Watch and Wait was.  Now I am on the team and if I may refraise it, W.W. + W or Willingly Watch and Wait.
Watch and Wait.

G_Man

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 09:33:05 pm »
Hi everyone.  Thursday I got my test results.  My tumor last year was;
0.6 cm AP x 0.75 cm  medial lateral x 0.5 cm craniocaudad. 
The results this year were:
0.6 cm AP x 0.80 cm  medial lateral x 0.5 cm craniocaudad.
My hearing test was slightly worse than 6 months ago.
A little background on this.  According to the guy operating the MRI machine, the one I was on this time is a better, newer, more accurate machine.  My hearing test this time was done in a sound proof room instead of one of those sound dampened phone booth deals.  Also the scale/graph the audiology person marked it on was a little different.
The otologist and I both feel that the difference between 0.75 cm and 0.80 cm may just be a variance in the testing.  I will continue on the annual MRI schedule for next year.
Can anyone relate to this?  Does it sound reasonable? 
Thanks
G_Man
Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:07 pm »
Hi everyone.  Thursday I got my test results.  My tumor last year was;
0.6 cm AP x 0.75 cm  medial lateral x 0.5 cm craniocaudad. 
The results this year were:
0.6 cm AP x 0.80 cm  medial lateral x 0.5 cm craniocaudad.
My hearing test was slightly worse than 6 months ago.
A little background on this.  According to the guy operating the MRI machine, the one I was on this time is a better, newer, more accurate machine.  My hearing test this time was done in a sound proof room instead of one of those sound dampened phone booth deals.  Also the scale/graph the audiology person marked it on was a little different.
The otologist and I both feel that the difference between 0.75 cm and 0.80 cm may just be a variance in the testing.  I will continue on the annual MRI schedule for next year.
Can anyone relate to this?  Does it sound reasonable?

Glen ~

Definitely.  This reads like a 'no growth' report, to me.  Congratulations!

Jim