Author Topic: Chicago good experience.  (Read 5846 times)

Chitownpete

Chicago good experience.
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:01:12 am »
Got Translab 0n 2/2/10 at Loyola hospital and was very impressed. I went with Dr. Leonetti/ Dr. Anderson on a 2.5cm+ tumor and was released in 3 days. Lost no facial function and was treated well by Loyola Hospital and its staff. I am suffering daily but Im up and walking/eating/talking Daily. My surgery was 10+ hours and my side effects are minor considering what was done.  I am doing minor things for work on my computer and have caught up on all episodes of Jersey Shore so being 5 days post=op Im pretty happy.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Chicago good experience.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
Pete -

I've heard mixed things about Loyola and Dr. Leonetti, but he IS on the Top Chicago Doctors list for 2010 along with Dr. Richard Wiet of Chicago Ear.

I'm glad you had a great surgical experience and that your recovery is going smoothly.

Your feedback will be important for newbies.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:39:48 pm »
Hi, Pete - and welcome.

I'm pleased to learn that your surgery went well and that you're slowly healing.  Any details about your case that you would care to share would be appreciated.  Please stay connected, here. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Chitownpete

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »
Im not out of the woods yet and I'm not medically trained so I am somewhat limited when it comes to tech talk. My wife, family, and myself have had only had good things to say about the entire experience. My wife was treated well which was very important to me. My wife doesn't deserve anything but the best and she was treated so nicely and kept very well informed  thru out the 10+ hours I was under. My wife was updated every 1=1.5 hours and we were all treated with great respect. I did not have an easy or quick surgery but I was literally smiling (both sides of my face) as I recovered from anesthesia. I seemed to be the only one surprised by this. I am glad I waited almost 2 months for this hospital. I did participate in a research study that places extra electrodes on the body as the hospital is interested in learning more about body placement and reducing placement injuries. The study cost me nothing and was optional but I was glad to help as Loyola is a teaching hospital. I have read some iffy reviews from people with very bad multiple conditions and do not think its fair to always blame the Dr. I am beyond pleased and did suffer some minor issues but this is medicine and my 1st hospital experience has been a great one. I can only comment about my experience which is great. These guys are very booked up but if you have time you should talk to them. If you need a surgeon/hospital please contact me directly and I will be glad to go over details. Please note I do not want to discuss personal details out of respect to the Doctors and myself  but in a private conversation I will discuss whatever you like and am glad to help.  I have no connection to these guys and picked them as they are part of Blue Cross/Blue Shield and have a lot of experience in this condition. If you are pre-op and want/need to go the surgical route dont hesitate to contact me directly. I am 6 days post op but check my e-mail at least twice a day.

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:42:37 am »
I'm glad that your experience was much better than mine.. I never had a real issue with Dr. Leonnetti (other than he didn't spend much time with me, didn't explain things well and was far too tan for someone who is so busy), it was with the facilities at Loyola, the staff and some of their procedures (or lack thereof). I could list all of the things that were messed up but I'll spare you all the gory details. I just hope you got one of the new tower rooms for recovery, they weren't yet open when I had mine so I stayed in a room that was designed in the 1970's.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Chitownpete

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:08 am »
 Hey Amplified,

I see you have surgery coming up soon. I wish you the best and hope you have a better experience this time, you deserve it.  I  wish you the best and hope all goes well and smooth for you. We are both lucky to live close to so many good options. I read about those who have to fly to surgery and am gratefull I never spend more than 30 minutes at a time in a vehicle right now.. Its time to finally get this crap behind you brother, get yourself recovered, and get well in time for spring.

Amplified2000

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:22:12 am »
Hey Pete, what surgical approach did they use for your removal?
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)

Chitownpete

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 02:48:03 am »
I did translab. My hearing was already gone and my tumor was on the large side. One upside is I will win most "Who has the badddest scar contests". My friend said my head looks like the bottom of a leather couch. I should point out that I am still not over the thrill of survival. Sounds like Loyola maybe did some upgrades since you had your time there. I am curious, what is your nickname for? Are you a musician/DJ?

Amplified2000

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 04:42:23 pm »
Yeah Loyola had not yet opened the new "tower" when I was there.. I was in the original part of the hospital and it was noticably dated. I am looking forward to inspecting the facilities and Hinsdale hospital, I have a tour scheduled for this Friday :)

The nickname is actually from when I used to work in the home/car audio industry back in... you guessed it the late 90's and 2000.

I'll take you on for the scar competition.. mine is about 13 inches from top to bottom and half of it wasn't able to be stitched because of the infection so it healed pretty jaggedly. From what my Doc has shown me the scar from my Translab should be about half the size, will share some spots with the old scar but will also leave scars in new areas as well... add these 2 together and you get one hell of a good scar :P

Chitownpete

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:26:56 pm »
Hope the tour makes you at ease. It sounds like you have gone thru 3 lifetimes of crap. Best of luck, time to put this non-sense behind you. I know you will keep us locals posted.

lori67

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:56:00 pm »
Pete,

Glad to hear you had a good experience!  It is great to be nearby so many talented doctors and a great hospital.  It's one less thing to worry about.

Sorry to hear you're still suffering daily, but if I might offer a possible reason for that - you're watching Jersey Shore!!!  UGH!!!  I'm from Jersey and trust me - we're not all like that!  They always pick the real winners to show on national tv, don't they?   :D  My advice: take 2 tylenol and change the channel!

I'm happy to hear that you're not over the thrill of survival!  I hope you never are over that thrill - it really makes you appreciate things a whole lot more!

Happy healing!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:33:34 pm »
Kevin -

Adventist Hinsdale Hospital is very nice.  Small, private hospital.  You won't have a roommate or be put into an ICU room prior to going to a regular room; your regular room will just be "graded" ICU for a short period of time.

It's very clean - someone was always mopping my floor - even though I was in bed the majority of the time - and the staff is very attentive.  I think you'll like it.

I still go there for my annual MRIs.

Sorry for the hijack, Pete.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Chitownpete

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:31 am »
I just had my 4 week post-op check-up and am all cleared and back to work. I still have a ways to go but considering I came back quicker than a co workers ankle injury Im very happy. This weekend Im going to try riding my bike and maybe even my Harley (just around the block).This is my last post until next year unless something unusual happens.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 11:21:34 am »
Pete ~

Thanks for the update and we wish you well as you move on with your life.  Enjoy the ride!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 11:58:20 am »
Pete -

glad you have reached the back to work milestone.  Congrats!  ;D

Don't overdo it. 

I returned to work 2 1/2 weeks post op (part-time) and 4 weeks (full time) but got naps in when I could. 

Take it easy,

Jan