Author Topic: Just got out of hospital (AGAIN)  (Read 4350 times)

aj44

Just got out of hospital (AGAIN)
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:13:12 am »
Three weeks ago (around four weeks after my AN operation) I noticed a lump on my skull. It was getting bigger and bigger by the day. It stuck out around an inch from my head. The pain was awful. The last straw was when I vomited, so last week I went to hospital to get it checked out. They did a scan and told me that it was fluid leaking from the layers protecting the brain into my skull. They plugged the hole so I hope it doesn't happen again. And if it leaks again I will get a shunt put in. My head is killing me following the operation. I didn't have to go through this much pain the first time as my head was numb.
4 to 5cm AN removed on December 2009

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: Just got out of hospital (AGAIN)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:30:15 am »
I am so sorry of hearing that you had to go through this please let the doctor's know how much your head is killing you my prayers are with you.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:38:08 am »
AJ

Hopefully your leak is plugged for good! 

It is discouraging to have to go back into the hospital once you get home.  I had to also after 2 days of sleeping in my own bed.  That was not fun having to go back to hospital food and uncomfortable beds!  I hope this time you can stay home!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:17:18 am »
Wow, AJ.

I'm sorry to hear you had to go back to the hospital.

I've heard of this happening before, but not too often.

Hope all is well now.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »
AJ ~

I'm sorry to learn about this post-op complication that had you back in the hospital and enduring ferocious headache pain.  I hope this is the end of leaks and that you won't require a shunt.  You've certainly had enough of hospitals by now so I trust you won't need to make a return visit for a very long time.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

aj44

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:17:59 pm »
Hello.

Thank you all for your comments. It was very annoying having to go back to hospital.

The operation was made easier by the fact that after the first operation the surgeons did not put part of my skull back into my head, so all they had to do was to cut along the same scar, open my head up and plug the leak.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:36:48 pm »
Maybe they should have put in a zipper instead of stitches!   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

aj44

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:45 pm »
 :D

Yeah, they should have. Especially if I have to get opened up again.

dudieezper

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:01:14 am »
Reading your post, it seems like you're too cool about it, but I know deep inside your hurting so much. You have to be strong and I hope that the leak in your head would be okay soon. I will include you in my prayer. I hope that you feel better now and recovery is progressing well. Indianapolis Plastic Surgery
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:14:51 am by dudieezper »

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:09:29 pm »
My thoughts and prayers are with you!  I had the same kind of CSF leak, but after many adventures, I finally healed w/out further surgery.  Hope the pain abates and you are well and truly on the road to recovery.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.