Author Topic: 48 hrs to BAHA activiation and have ??s  (Read 4252 times)

tenai98

48 hrs to BAHA activiation and have ??s
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:57 am »
OK,
so like Jerseygirl, I am somewhat impaired in my good ear....I'm debating on whether I should wait for the BP200 to come out....Also the audiologist mention a cordell as another option...so this one is I guess hung around one's neck and attached to the abutment via a cord....What I'm aksing is what questions should I be asking??? 
Jo
PS excited for my appt on wed....audiologist said we will demo several types...I'm hoping to be able to bring them home and try
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JerseyGirl2

Re: 48 hrs to BAHA activiation and have ??s
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:58:04 am »
Jo,

Just to clarify -- JerseyGirl is Eve, who uses a TransEar; I'm JerseyGirl 2, Catherine, the one who wears the BAHA Intenso!

I hope that things go well with your BAHA appointment on Wednesday. I think (and certainly hope!) that your audiologist will be the most qualified person to help with your decision regarding the best BAHA for your specific needs. So what I'm going to say is strictly my opinion.

I wouldn't be inclined to wait for the introduction of the enhanced Intenso (what we're assuming will be the BP200) -- it could be many months away, and since you're ready to attach a processor to your abutment NOW, I would hate for your brain to be missing out on good "re-adjusting to a different way of hearing" time. I should add that I agree with those doctors who feel that patients who start wearing their BAHAs as soon as possible after the onset of SSD experience the most dramatic results. Their brains haven't had time to fully adapt to SSD and can more readily adjust to the benefits of the BAHA. My hearing loss was so gradual over the course of a number of years that my brain was compensating quite well to my SSD before I got my BAHA. If your audiologist thinks that your good ear isn't perfect, or close to it, he/she will probably recommend the Intenso.

I believe the Cordelle is pretty heavy duty. I don't know any AN-related SSD'ers who have one (but I'm sure there must be some). I've always sort of thought the Cordelle was designed more for those BAHA wearers who are using BAHAs (either one, or any many cases, two) for conditions other than SSD. As we know, the BAHA was originally developed for use by such patients. We AN-induced SSDer's are just the happy beneficiaries of all that research and very fortunate that someone along the way realized that it was a great device for us. That being said, I would imagine that if the hearing loss in your good ear is severe enough, your audiologist will suggest that you give the Cordelle a try.

Best wishes for your appointment, and let us know what happens!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:43:46 pm »
BP200?  I like to know more about this.  Got any online info on this?
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:06:22 pm »
Take a look at the Cochlear website and read about the BP100 ... and then extrapolate those features to the Intenso to get an idea of what the BP200 (if that's really the name) will be like. I'm assuming that, in addition to the various bells and whistles, it will be programmable to the wearer's specific hearing loss. I'm certainly going to be on the lookout for any announcements, and I'm eagerly reading all the comments posted by the BP100 wearers.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:50:38 pm »
BP200?  I like to know more about this.  Got any online info on this?

Ken -

at this point in time there is no BP200.

As you may have read on the Cochlear Community an upgrade to the Intenso is due to be released in the Spring - and some on the Forum are just speculating that it will be called the BP200, since the upgrade to the Divino is the BP100.

No name is definite yet.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »
Got this info today from the Cochlear Community in response to speculation that an upgrade to the Intenso will be released this coming Spring.  This truly is from an actual Cochlear employee, so I know it's accurate.

"I am an employee at Cochlear and wanted to comment on the timeline for an Intenso replacement. Cochlear is always working on product development. Given the need for FDA clearance, timelines for new product introductions are tenuous. We will not have a replacement for the Intenso this spring, as stated below. We are dedicated to ensuring access to new technology for everyone that currently enjoys the benefits of Baha. We will definitely provide everyone on the Community any updates on new product developments.'

I'll keep you posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »
Jan,

Thanks for the update. Guess we Intenso wearers will have to wait a bit longer -- but that's okay.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ