Author Topic: balance in dim lighting  (Read 3139 times)

pleasant-town

balance in dim lighting
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »
I have noticed increased balance difficulties in the last month.  Is it normal for there to be an increased sense of balance problems in dimly lit rooms.  The information I have read on the website indicated the side-effects ususally took six months  to develop.  My gamma knife procedure was in October of 2009.  I appreciate having had the website for information and felt secure in my actions having read the knowledgable information shared by the members of this forum.  Thanks for all your insight and support.

lori67

Re: balance in dim lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:53:31 pm »
Hi pleasant and welcome!

Yes, it is common to have increased balance problems in a dimly lit area.  Since your balance nerve is not functioning at 100% your body relies on visual input to stay steady.  If you can't really see, you don't have much to go on.

I know I look like a pinball trying to walk down the hallway at night - I bounce from wall to wall.  I make sure to have nightlights anywhere I may need to go - bathroom, kids rooms.  I also make sure no one leaves anything lying around - like shoes or toys - that I might trip on.  (not that MY family would leave things lying around... >:().

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 02:27:08 pm »
I have gradually retrained my brain for this...I put a srip of masking tape on floor and did the toe to heel walking..then once I got that down pat, I started dimming lights. NOw I can walk in complete darkness without stumbling most times...I do have to stop and have a chat with 'brain' that he isnt going to trick me into stumbling...I do stay close to the wall just incase I need to reach out and balance myself....Sometimes I will go outside (we have a .5 mile private road with no overhead lights) at night and just walk around...I've been a night person and love being outside at night...so I HAD to overcome this stumbling stuff
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

another NY postie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »
Hello!  Part of my vestibular rehab was done in a dim/dark room...she would have me balance on foam, balance on beam, throw balls at me to catch...it was always much more difficult to do in the dim/darkness but it really helped my brain retrain...I understand also that it is due to our brains now relying heavily on visual cues which get reduced in reduced lighting...I still can get a little wobby at night but am much better...your brain will adapt but you probably need to work at it a bit too.
Good luck,
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:28:43 pm »
Yes, it is an issue to balance when the visual cues for balance are reduced. A couple months ago I went to see a friend's band play, and afterward went stumbling out of the bar - not because I had had even one drink, but because it was dark outside!  :P

I did a lot of work on it in vestibular rehab, especially because I work night shift as a nurse, and sometimes it's just not a good idea to turn all the bright lights on when you go into a patient's room, so we wanted to make sure I would be okay. Just like other balance issues, it seems like it's a matter of practice. We did the same exercises like Cheryl mentioned.

If you're looking for home exercises to help, I would try standing in a doorway or somewhere where the wall is close if you need it, and have someone dim / turn off the lights for you. First stand with feet at normal standing position, then together, then semi tandem, then tandem, then on one foot.. trying to master each before moving to the next and holding onto the wall when you need to. Throw in some head motions, like looking up and down, then side to side, with each foot stance and I bet after a few weeks of practice you'll notice a difference!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy