Author Topic: hearing my voice inside my head  (Read 6965 times)

LauraU

hearing my voice inside my head
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »
This is my first posting on this site. I had translab 4 weeks ago, and am recovering pretty well in general. This biggest complaint I have right now is that everytime I use my voice I hear it inside my head on the AN side really loud so that I can hardly hear it on the outside with my good ear. Has anyone else had this? I'm hoping it goes away soon, as I'm a teacher, which means I talk a lot for my job, and I have to go back to work in 2 more weeks!

Kaybo

Re: hearing my voice inside my head
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:22:28 pm »
Hi Laura~
WELCOME!  I had surgery 14 years ago (I was 25) & I don't really remember that.  I was a teacher too - I taught 1st grade at the time of my surgery.  I went on to have 3 girlies so I am a stay-at-home mom now - who NEVER stays home!  LOL!!  Just wanted to welcome you here - make yourself comfy and ask anything you want!  I'm sure someone will come along soon that can help you out!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:35:31 am »
Laura -

I'm not a teacher and I never had this issue post op, but like Kay I wanted to say welcome to the Forum.

I did become SSD (single-sided deaf) as a result of my surgery and I just had a total lack of sound in my left "AN" ear. 

Are you SSD as a result of your surgery?  I'm wondering if perhaps you aren't and that is why you are having this issue.

Then again, whether you are SSD or not may have absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:23 pm »
You are lucky that you only here YOUR voice inside your head...I have MANY voices yelling at me! :)  Sorry...I couldn't resist.  Seriously thought, there was a short time after my surgery where it seemed to echo a bit in my head but it went away quickly...one of those "it's different for each person" kind of thing...hope this goes away for you so you can get some peace from yourself :D
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 02:58:08 pm »
Shoot, Jaylogs beat me to it!!   Wish I could be more helpful than being smart alecky.  The only time I've had a  "double hearing" was when many years ago my ear drum was punctured (hmmmm, my AN ear too, now that I think of it.)   and I had an tinny echo going on.  Very weird

Hope it works out for you,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »
Hi, Laura and welcome. 

Apparently your surgery went well and I'm glad to learn that.  However, this condition you're dealing with is new to me.  I trust that it'll be temporary.  You might want to ask your doctor about it to see if he has an explanation. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:29:47 pm »
My voice did "echo" for a few weeks.  I wrote it off to the fluid buildup.  It improved significantly after the first month but recently came back for a few days after taking two flights in a 24 hour period.  Thankfully it only lasted a day or so this time.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

LauraU

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 02:37:37 pm »
Thanks for your comments and advice! Yes, I did figure I'd get jokes about "voices in my head" - that's why I was very careful to specify that it was my own voice when I talk! I am definitely SSD now. I was glad to finally get one person who has experienced this too. I tried to ask the doctor and his nurse about it, but all I could get were general comments about everybody having different issues after this kind of surgery, and that it can take a while for things to go back to normal. I just wanted to hear that someone else had this particular problem so I don't worry that something is wrong in there.

Laura

Esperanza

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »
Hello Laura,
I get a echo on my AN side from my voice and have done since becoming SSD (I am pre-op though) - actually just about every noise echoes on my deaf side - two years on for me and I've got used to it now - occasionally for whatever reason!? - it gets louder when I talk and actually can put me off my stride..  anyway what I'm trying to say is - even if it doesn't go - you will adjust to it!  Never been able to get a reasonable explanation from the meds either - basically they really don't seem to know why!
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????