Author Topic: Off to Wisonsin to See Jackie Diels  (Read 28696 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Off to Wisonsin to See Jackie Diels
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:44:34 pm »
Well, it is almost 2 years post surgery for me (April 30 2008) and I am finally going to quit fooling around with my face and go turn myself over to Jackie at UW.  I am set to fly out on Feb 14 (Happy Valentines Day) - weather permitting!  I will spend a total of 10 hours with Jackie over a 2 1/2 day period.  She is very confident that I can get significant improvement with the synkinesis which would be wonderful!

I thought it might be helpful/interesting for others with facial nerve problems to see a brief recap of where I started and where I am now.  So here are some pictures - the good, the bad and the ugly (kidding!)

Me getting ready to get my bonnet off and leave the hospital - grade 6 palsy, right side:

Here I am at about 5 months post op - you can see improvements

This is at about 1 year, 3 months (taken at the symposium) - I usually don't smile quite this big so the asymmetry isn't this noticeable most of the time.

Now, for the pictures that make me squirm a little - these were taken today and show the synkinesis in my eye and mouth.  I willl post pictures again when I get back from Wisconsin and hopefully you'll see a noticeable difference! :)  This is what happens if I blink my right eye (the good news being that I actually CAN blink my right eye!)  The chin dimple, btw, is a bonus.

And this give you an idea what happens to my right eye when I smile. 

Now, I want all of you to send some positive weather karma my way (think clear skies in NJ and WI on Feb 14), okay?

Debbi - here's lookin' at you, kid

Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Off to Wisonsin to See Jackie Diels
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:29:40 pm »
Best wishes, Debbi. I'm planning to see Renee Ivers at Washington University in the near future myself, and possibly Jackie after that.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »
Debbi ~

I love it when folks are proactive with their recovery, as you certainly are.  Good move!  The pictures are informative (you've come a long way) and we'll all be looking forward to your post-Jackie Diels visit.  I wish you nothing but success.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:37:22 pm »
debbi, do u have a gold weight in your eye?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:52:38 pm »
Thanks, all. 

Sara. we should compare notes after our respective visits.  I think we are very similar in terms of progress?

Jim, you are great - what else can I say??

Jazz, I had a temp removable eye weight for about 4 months, but can blink without it now.  My right eye blinks about once for every 10 times the left eye blinks,so sometimes people are a bit disconcerted because I appear to be staring, but I think it is kind of funnY! :D

Debbi (keep sending the good weather ju-ju!)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

lori67

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:25 pm »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for great results for you, Debbi, although I already think you look amazing!

I do, however, have to question your sanity - who would willingly go to Wisconsin in the winter?????  Maybe Steve better knit you a double layer hat and scarf to go with it!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »
Debbi,

Best wishes as you get ready to head to Wisconsin!

For those of you who haven't met Debbi, she's absolutely as sweet, friendly, clever, and personable in person as she is in her postings here on the forum.  I think she serves as a great role model for AN patients -- she has identified a challenge on her road to recovery and has devised a good strategy for dealing with it, displaying optimism and a great sense of humor all the while.

Is your destination Madison? My husband and I lived there for three years (he was in grad school at UW) and loved the town and campus ... but never fully adapted to the cold weather. I vividly remember a Halloween snowstorm and a Mother's Day snowstorm (not to mention the weather in between those two days!). There was sometimes a very brief thaw in January/February, so I hope you'll be in that timeframe.

Hope that the visit and consultation will exceed your expectations!

Catherine
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:25 pm »
Debbi,

Best of luck to you in therapy! Hope it is a great success.  Please, know, a lot of people will have their fingers crossed for you. Have a smooth trip, too!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:43 pm »
Catherine -

I totally agree with your assessment of Debbi; I couldn't have said it better myself  ;D

Debbi -

as Jim said, you've come a long way.  The changes in your pictures are incredible.

I'm hopeful Jackie will be able to help you improve even more.

Good luck - and please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:07:46 pm »
Oh, well, you guys ... shucks!   :D
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Pol

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:58 pm »
Hi
I have seen Jackie too. She is great. It is amazing what we can do to train our brains to do differently. I am really disturbed by the lack of understanding of synkinesis by most of the medical community. I think it should be an automatic referral to see someone just like post shoulder surgery for PT.

Hope your experience is good too!

Polly
AN diagnosed Sept.'99; GK Dec. '99 and Sept. '06
Subocciptal partial resection (AN 2.5x 2.2) by Drs. Bojrab & Pieper. SSD right

lifeisgood

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:32:33 pm »
Its been quite awhile since I've posted.
I saw Jackie too. I love her.
You look similar to me.
I am 5 years post. I think her suggestions are something that you can apply for many years.
I did botox too but stopped. It definitely helped my face but it just didn't last long enough and I
questioned the safety.
The good news is that 5 years post, I still have new sensations.  I wish you the best!
Be well.
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 12:48:12 pm »
You go girl !!!!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 01:23:15 pm »
Well, keep your fingers crossed that the weather in NJ and WI holds - if so, we'll be flying into Madison on Sunday, just in time for a Valentine's dinner.  And, then, at 9 on Monday, I meet with Jackie!  I will post here when I get back.  Thanks everyone for the well--wishes and all the encouragement.

Debbi (feeling like a teenager about to go on her first date...)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Karen

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »
Good Luck you'll love Jackie.  I learned more from her than any of my doctors!!!   Be prepared for the  weather in Wisconsin     in Feb.  Let me know how the hotel is.  We'll be going the 3rd of May.  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear